The standings now become the ranking, no more rationalization ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Really? I mean it is a method. But isn't it flawed to just look at stats and from them alone draw conclusions, the classic statistical fallacy? In this case, Knowles is clearly without question K-State's best receiver, but he's played maybe half the time, thus Schoen's numbers exceed. Ask any K-State fan who the best receiver is and the answer will statistically favor Malik Knowles over walk-on Dalton Schoen.

"We often use statistics in the same way that a drunk uses lamp-posts—for support rather than illumination"

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Really? I mean it is a method. But isn't it flawed to just look at stats and from them alone draw conclusions, the classic statistical fallacy? In this case, Knowles is clearly without question K-State's best receiver, but he's played maybe half the time, thus Schoen's numbers exceed. Ask any K-State fan who the best receiver is and the answer will statistically favor Malik Knowles over walk-on Dalton Schoen.

"We often use statistics in the same way that a drunk uses lamp-posts—for support rather than illumination"
If the person doesn't play half the time, then I'd say he's not the best. Ben Roethlisberger was my first pick at fantasy qb this year in one league, but I'd say he's not going to end up my best qb.

Sorry, but if you are not on the field to contribute you are not the best. Maybe most talented, but hell Royce's white was the most talented ball player we had in his sit out year, his stats didn't back that up until he actually played though

• Agree
Reactions: mdk2isu

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Acronyms were strongly discouraged during my days as a Chevron manager. Granted, that was some time ago. I believe they are very millennial in nature and result from their social media short cuts.
yeah...no.

They've been around for ages (including in the military in WWII). That's probably a few years before millennials invented them.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If the person doesn't play half the time, then I'd say he's not the best. Ben Roethlisberger was my first pick at fantasy qb this year in one league, but I'd say he's not going to end up my best qb.

Sorry, but if you are not on the field to contribute you are not the best. Maybe most talented, but hell Royce's white was the most talented ball player we had in his sit out year, his stats didn't back that up until he actually played though
Catch up, Pete. This whole matter resulted from some lame comment that Knowles isn't the best receiver. Why? He's been hurt. He's been out half the plays due to injuries.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm an old guy. Can someone tell me what SIAP stands for?

Sorry if already posted. I used it cause I wanted to bash surly but didn’t want to read her thread.

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'm an old guy. Can someone tell me what SIAP stands for?
siap_logo.jpg

Reactions: dtISU

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Catch up, Pete. This whole matter resulted from some lame comment that Knowles isn't the best receiver. Why? He's been hurt. He's been out half the plays due to injuries.

Catch up, Surly. The point was he can't be the best player if he's not playing.

• Winner
Reactions: peteypie

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Is a Mabe's pizza still the best in Iowa? I haven't been to Decorah in ages. I may have to make a road trip just to have a Mabe's pizza.
Mabe's is still there - I had some this summer. Locals complain that it's not as good anymore but I still get it out of nostalgia. I still like the pizza there. There are lots of reasons to go to Decorah for now.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
yeah...no.

They've been around for ages (including in the military in WWII). That's probably a few years before millennials invented them.
This should have been obvious by my Chevron comment that they've been around. The point is they've now exploded due, in my view, to Millenials' reliance on social media platforms and their penchant for taking short cuts in communications, so frowned on in commerce back in my day. INRI is perhaps mankind's most endearing, right?