MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

Dec 17, 2018
Urbandale
I'd say the only destination job we'd need to worry about CMC leaving for is....Mt. Union!!! :eek:
Years from now, his kids are grown, time to semi retire "back home" and enjoy life out of the limelight but still be active in coaching.
Factitious? Maybe.
Why didn't his mentor leave Mt. Union for a "better" job, surely he could have been successful at the next level. The masses assume it's all about fame and money$$$...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not true. He coached at Arkansas 5 years and didn't get it done. That will never be a ****** job. If you think Iowa State is looked at as a better job than Arkansas you are crazy. Now that does not mean they can pull any coach out there. It's not Alabama or Ohio State but it's a damn good job. Guessing Wisconsin fans were not thinking it was a good enough job to rip their coach from them at the time.
Arkansas is an OK job. Maybe the years of sucking have tempered expectation, but considering what Nutt accomplished there and the immediate pressure to get rid of him while still being good is ridiculous. Completely unreasonable expectations and delusion.
It's great that they are the only Power conference team in the state. It produces decent talent, but compared to the South and SEC it's definitely on the low end of the spectrum. They also need to figure out new recruiting territory. They were able to maintain their DFW and East Texas territory for a long time after leaving the SWC for the SEC because they were good. Now that they've sucked for years and are so far removed from that region in terms of conference affiliation those regions have dried up for them and are owned by the Big 12 and LSU.

So Arkansas could be a good job, but someone's got an uphill battle.

Bottom line, Campbell has "outgrown" jobs like Arkansas and MSU. Who's a better candidate as a young coach out there if you are a destination job in college football? If he wants a top 10 job in CFB, he'll be able to get it when he's ready and an opportunity opens up in the next few years, and he can do it straight from ISU. Maybe he'd want to go to a place like MSU or Arkansas, but it would be because he wants that as a destination, not because he has to do it in able to get to one of the blueblood job. So in the meantime, why go try to rebuild Arkansas or semi-rebuild MSU? For at least the next two years ISU is better positioned to win their conference than either of those.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I just keep thinking about the situation...which school of these three (ISU, MSU & Ark) schools offer the clearest path to a conference title? It has to be ISU right? MSU is the 4th best program in its own division not to mention Wisconsin being a rival for that slot in the conference. Arkansas is and has been buried for a few years now in its league. So Campbell has put ISU on path to contend for a conference championship...or at least it appears so. Would he really want to leave to try to fix those situations? If he wanted to live in Michigan I would understand that move...but not for the reason of it being a more likely path to a league title.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Not true. He coached at Arkansas 5 years and didn't get it done. That will never be a ****** job. If you think Iowa State is looked at as a better job than Arkansas you are crazy. Now that does not mean they can pull any coach out there. It's not Alabama or Ohio State but it's a damn good job. Guessing Wisconsin fans were not thinking it was a good enough job to rip their coach from them at the time.

And it wasn't. Remind me...what's Bert up to now? And what is Arkansas's record?

It's all moot anyway. Campbell will never be the HC at Arkansas.

If MSU were truly parting ways with Dantonio then Campbell to MSU is a legitimate concern, imo. I just can't believe MSU would be so dumb as to fire him. If it came to that, I'd be all for hiring Dantonio...

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
And it wasn't. Remind me...what's Bert up to now? And what is Arkansas's record?

It's all moot anyway. Campbell will never be the HC at Arkansas.

If MSU were truly parting ways with Dantonio then Campbell to MSU is a legitimate concern, imo. I just can't believe MSU would be so dumb as to fire him. If it came to that, I'd be all for hiring Dantonio...

Bert is the DL coach for the NE Patriots.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Guessing Wisconsin fans were not thinking it was a good enough job to rip their coach from them at the time.

I always thought BB left Wisconsin, hoping he'd win enough at Arkansas to take the reigns in IA City when Kirk retired. A jump straight from Wisconsin to Iowa would have been awkward. Little did he know that Kirk got the address of the Fountain of Youth from Bill Snyder and will coach at Iowa until 2040.

And I still won't let BB's comment to Walden go. Don't care if he was just a college kid, he's a jerk and deserved to go 0-12 at Arkansas.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I don’t know what jobs will open but I know that ISU needs CMC here for at least another 3 seasons or so.. bc by 2023 new tv deal will be in place or agreed to at least and having isu a consistent winner not only is huge for isu if realignment happens but also for the conf in general.

JP is well aware of what is coming in 2023-25 and I believe refuses to have isu fball be left behind another 2 decades+ bc they wouldn’t pony up $$.. JP said as much.

I fully expect CMC to be at $4mil+ after this year and $5mil+ after 2022ish

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don’t know what jobs will open but I know that ISU needs CMC here for at least another 3 seasons or so.. bc by 2023 new tv deal will be in place or agreed to at least and having isu a consistent winner not only is huge for isu if realignment happens but also for the conf in general.

JP is well aware of what is coming in 2023-25 and I believe refuses to have isu fball be left behind another 2 decades+ bc they wouldn’t pony up $$.. JP said as much.

I fully expect CMC to be at $4mil+ after this year and $5mil+ after 2022ish

the money will be there. Now the question is does he want to stay and get the field named after him, with a statue next to Jack.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Arkansas was a great job until .......

IFWT-Bobby-Petrino_crop_north.jpg

They never recovered from this and Bielema was a horrible hire. Brett's only accomplishment at Arky was leading the nation is HC lbs gained. He ate that program in to the ground. I seriously think he was aiming for Mangino type status

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
It's easier to win a conference title at ISU. Brock Purdy is only a sophomore. Need I continue? It's only Michigan and Notre Dame I'm worried about

I think I'm less worried than most about Notre Dame.

Yes you get a historically rich program (what success does that bring Nebraska currently?) and a bump in national recognition which can be helpful for recruiting and program success/respect. But would he have to take a pay cut to go to ND? Looks like Brian Kelly's salary is $2.1M from what I can gather online and has been disclosed by the university. Campbell is currently at $3.6M. Kelly has taken ND to the national championship game and the CFP. They would have to almost double the HC's salary to get CMC with a perceived weaker resume? Not saying Campbell is a guy just chasing the next big paycheck, but it certainly is a piece to be considered.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
A lot of speculation about what program CMC would be interested in and thus far the only one he has mentioned is Iowa State. I think we are really fortunate that we don't have another coach waxing about dreams and where they may take him.
On to Kansas and K-State and close it out with a nice bowl.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Pat Narduzzi will be their next head coach. The Nard-dog was their D coordinator when they were good

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

isu81

Mar 6, 2013

Yes you get a historically rich program (what success does that bring Nebraska currently?) and a bump in national recognition which can be helpful for recruiting and program success/respect. But would he have to take a pay cut to go to ND? Looks like Brian Kelly's salary is $2.1M from what I can gather online and has been disclosed by the university. Campbell is currently at $3.6M. Kelly has taken ND to the national championship game and the CFP. They would have to almost double the HC's salary to get CMC with a perceived weaker resume? Not saying Campbell is a guy just chasing the next big paycheck, but it certainly is a piece to be considered.
Kelly makes a LOTTTT more than that. As a private school, they don't need to disclose the full package.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Kelly isn't a public employee. There's no real way to know what his compensation is. And it's more than $2.1MM / year. A lot more.

Dec 17, 2018
Urbandale
I always thought BB left Wisconsin, hoping he'd win enough at Arkansas to take the reigns in IA City when Kirk retired. A jump straight from Wisconsin to Iowa would have been awkward. Little did he know that Kirk got the address of the Fountain of Youth from Bill Snyder and will coach at Iowa until 2040.

And I still won't let BB's comment to Walden go. Don't care if he was just a college kid, he's a jerk and deserved to go 0-12 at Arkansas.

Nice to know someone else holds a grudge as long as I do!! Haven't forgotten about the "Bulimia" incident with Walden.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don’t understand why people think Arkansas is a horrible job. That’s strange. Beilima left Wisky for that job. They have crap loads of booster money. They were at one point a top ten team year in and year out. They have a newer stadium. The campus is killer.

Because they are in no mans land as far as recruiting goes. They are struggling to recruit the state of Texas and they aren't competing for upper echelon kids from other SEC states either. Other than talking funny, Arkansas has no identity in the SEC.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

BB left WI because it was never his program... Barry Alvarez was always over his shoulder and still had a firm grip on the program. I get why he left WI, he just left for the wrong job.

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Because they are in no mans land as far as recruiting goes. They are struggling to recruit the state of Texas and they aren't competing for upper echelon kids from other SEC states either. Other than talking funny, Arkansas has no identity in the SEC.

This is honestly why I can't see them hiring someone like Campbell (or any other Northerner), I get why they hired morris from a recruiting standpoint but expecting a guy who had one winning season at SMU to succeed in the SEC was a pipe dream. They need a guy who can recruit the south and then the patience to give him the 4/5 years its going to take to turn that mess around. Saban couldn't win there in year 2.

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
This is honestly why I can't see them hiring someone like Campbell (or any other Northerner), I get why they hired morris from a recruiting standpoint but expecting a guy who had one winning season at SMU to succeed in the SEC was a pipe dream. They need a guy who can recruit the south and then the patience to give him the 4/5 years its going to take to turn that mess around. Saban couldn't win there in year 2.

I think this is true and honestly the perfect fit for them would have been hiring somebody like Mack Brown.