*** Official #22 Texas VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
motorcy90 said:
who the hell are these fox announcers after the game (oh texas should be asking why they lost this game... they are better then ISU, they have better players then ISU bla bla bla...)

It extends to the Texas newspapers too.
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...W8qHovL6Zejm6jd8ZqmTm1SjqVMwgTe43Pj2yifPttlbg

Part of the reason why Texas can't get back to their once top position is because they have this entitlement mindset. They "should be better" than ISU without taking in to account the fact that they ALSO need to train hard, work on fundamentals, etc. You can't just beat teams like us on talent alone anymore!

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Snapper may have snapped it early when the defense was drawn offsides to get the penalty, so the timing may have been off from the start plus the whistles and flags would be distracting.

It was actually just the opposite (but had the same effect). He said that Texas had blocked something like 4 kicks this year and all game long they had been trying to jump the snap count. So when the holder called for the ball, he didn't snap it. Texas jumped on the call and then he snapped it once they had jumped offside. Very heads up play by him and also by our line for not flinching on the hard count. Makes me think that it was more of a team effort than they are letting on.

Edit: here is the quote and article link.

“It seemed like throughout the game they were trying to time it out,” Wirtel said, “and on that one, I waited just a little smidge after, and I saw that color come in and I snapped it when he broke the line of scrimmage."

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...g-snapper-walk-on-kicker-and-walk-off-victory

Edit 2: another quote from Randy Pete.

Texas (6-4, 4-3 Big 12 Conference) had been anticipating snap rhythm throughout the game Iowa State (6-4, 4-3) led 20-7 with 12:09 left in the third quarter. That’s how the Longhorns had been able to block four kicks this season, and Wirtel noticed that it was happening again.

“I noticed throughout the game that they were timing our cadence,” Wirtel said. “We gave our cadence, and in my peripheral vision at the time, I saw No. 43 jump. I snapped it at the time. He jumped offside, and I saw our guys engage with him. They were keying on our cadence throughout the game.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-offside-tom-herman-matt-campbell/4205032002/

Last edited:

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
It was actually just the opposite (but had the same effect). He said that Texas had blocked something like 4 kicks this year and all game long they had been trying to jump the snap count. So when the holder called for the ball, he didn't snap it. Texas jumped on the call and then he snapped it once they had jumped offside. Very heads up play by him and also by our line for not flinching on the hard count. Makes me think that it was more of a team effort than they are letting on.

Edit: here is the quote and article link.

“It seemed like throughout the game they were trying to time it out,” Wirtel said, “and on that one, I waited just a little smidge after, and I saw that color come in and I snapped it when he broke the line of scrimmage."

The official rushed in, ready to make a call that, on a 4th-and-five, would dramatically change the complexion of the situation.

“He said,” Wirtel recalled, ”‘Offsides, white.’”

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...g-snapper-walk-on-kicker-and-walk-off-victory

“That’s the craftsmanship of Steven Wirtel,” ISU coach Matt Campbell said. “Steve is one of the best in the country.”

Steve Wirtel is so consistent, I can't recall him ever making a mistake. I would imagine he's got a good shot at a long NFL career. (Longsnappers being one of those positions where you can quietly play for 15+ years.)

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
What is interesting is UT has all this entitlement but if you look at their history and compare it to say Alabama it’s not that great lots of 8-4, 9-3 6-5 records over the last 50 years. Good but not great program and certainly not a trophy case of national title trophies

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Part of the reason why Texas can't get back to their once top position is because they have this entitlement mindset. They "should be better" than ISU without taking in to account the fact that they ALSO need to train hard, work on fundamentals, etc. You can't just beat teams like us on talent alone anymore!

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard is the old adage. Thing is we are really starting to see both happen at ISU. I can’t get over the look of our 2 deep DLine. Toughest positions to recruit in all of college football? Well CMC threw that thought right into the trash. We have dudes there and a lot of them.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
watched the more extended highlights on the Big12 site and its very easy to see all the missed holds they didn't call against Texas. would've probably taken away at least one, if not two, of those longer Texas TD drives.

They weren’t of the questionable variety either.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
What is interesting is UT has all this entitlement but if you look at their history and compare it to say Alabama it’s not that great lots of 8-4, 9-3 6-5 records over the last 50 years. Good but not great program and certainly not a trophy case of national title trophies
Read an Athletic article from a UT writer and in the write up he had the line
"It’s easy to forget the dreadful situation that Herman walked into nearly three years ago, and how far the program had to come."
He's getting roasted in the comments for that one. Lots of Texas fans pointing at Baylor and realizing their constant mediocrity even with the resources and talent they continue to bring in.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I haven't re-watched the game yet but we made plenty of mistakes and won in spite of these errors: Lost turnover battle, horrible fake punt play, not catching the last punt and letting it roll for a 67 yard punt - I'm sure there were others. Probably best part is Texas played well we just played better and won in spite of several correctable mistakes.

I did rewatch the condensed replay on the Big 12 website this morning and there were plenty of mistakes that need to be cleaned up, but Texas got away with way more PI and holding than I saw live, and that is saying something.

Manning has done a great job this year, but man, he needs to stop getting cute on 3rd and short and 4th and short. Just put in the 3 TEs and run the freaking ball. The fake punt was not executed well, but the TE got absolutely mugged on that play, so that didn't help. My problem is the play before, instead of running right at TX they tried some goofy play that lost 3 yards, when they had less than one to get the first down. That is about the 8th time that Manning has done that this year. Most of those have occurred at the opponents 35-40, and killed scoring drives. He just need to use the big bodies and trust his running back.

I have to give a lot of credit to the TX WRs. They dropped a few passes, but they also made 3 amazing catches to keep drives alive or score.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

I’ve felt this way ever since they joined the conference. I never understood the greatness that was supposed to be Texas. Admittedly I never paid any attention to whatever conference they were in beforehand, but I don’t remember ever hearing anything about them.... ever.

Sure they had Vince Young once, but that doesn’t make you a perennial national title contender. I don’t ever remember watching them in any important bowl game. They were never on my national radar of importance. They might as well have been North Carolina for football.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I’ve felt this way ever since they joined the conference. I never understood the greatness that was supposed to be Texas. Admittedly I never paid any attention to whatever conference they were in beforehand, but I don’t remember ever hearing anything about them.... ever.

Sure they had Vince Young once, but that doesn’t make you a perennial national title contender. I don’t ever remember watching them in any important bowl game. They were never on my national radar of importance. They might as well have been North Carolina for football.
They are "great" in Texas (by far the biggest fan base of any of the Texas schools), and they spend a lot of money to make people *think* they are great. But yeah, they're not really as great as they think they are.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007

Depends upon when history begins for you. Texas was a top program for years in the SWC. Lots of Cotton Bowl victories. Earl Campbell was one of the greatest running backs ever. Ricky Williams (yes, he had a number of personal issues in the NFL) ran for even more yards. I can see why their fans want to the team to "be back."

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads