*** Official #22 Texas VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Which is easy to do with ISU playing that softly.

Was a little odd as it wasn't like Texas had really threatened deep yet. Keep it tight and make their receivers make a play.

Based on experience, I would assume Heacock would have gone to that strange super soft defense like he did at the end of the half, and the end of the Baylor game.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We called timeout because it was the only way to get Breece back in the game since his helmet came off. I think it was just called before they really thought through the situation. It should have been called at the end of the play clock, but kind of understandable how it happened. We weren't calling it to stop the clock.

We called two. So maybe the first went like you said. But we called another one after the next play.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
It looked to me it was wide right. Not sure if that was affected by interruption of snap-hold-kick rhythm when it was whistled.
It looked to me like Narveson intentionally gave it a more relaxed effort after the whistle went off, kind of like, "what the heck, I might as well kick it for fun", but not really trying to do a normal kick. Maybe that's not what was happening, but it definitely looked like the rhythm was off. If the whistle hadn't blown, he very well might have made that kick.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
It looked to me like Narveson intentionally gave it a more relaxed effort after the whistle went off, kind of like, "what the heck, I might as well kick it for fun", but not really trying to do a normal kick. Maybe that's not what was happening, but it definitely looked like the rhythm was off. If the whistle hadn't blown, he very well might have made that kick.
Snapper may have snapped it early when the defense was drawn offsides to get the penalty, so the timing may have been off from the start plus the whistles and flags would be distracting.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We certainly made some mistakes in this game and in my opinion we should have blown Texas out but one thing that should not get lost is that Iowa State was way more physical than Texas on both sides of the ball. After last year, that was great to see.

It is also pretty amazing that we beat Texas with true sophomore QB and a true freshman RB that at times looked like the most talented guys on the field. Really, it is pretty awesome how many high quality young guys we have playing major roles in this program.

Man, how has Iowa State football changed under CMC.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Snapper may have snapped it early when the defense was drawn offsides to get the penalty, so the timing may have been off from the start plus the whistles and flags would be distracting.
I thought if the snap occurred, a whistle shouldn't. The flag, yes. But the play should've continued. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
We certainly made some mistakes in this game and in my opinion we should have blown Texas out but one thing that should not get lost is that Iowa State was way more physical than Texas on both sides of the ball. After last year, that was great to see.

It is also pretty amazing that we beat Texas with true sophomore QB and a true freshman RB that at times looked like the most talented guys on the field. Really, it is pretty awesome how many high quality young guys we have playing major roles in this program.

Breece was visually better than whatever 5 star they had running the ball

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I haven't re-watched the game yet but we made plenty of mistakes and won in spite of these errors: Lost turnover battle, horrible fake punt play, not catching the last punt and letting it roll for a 67 yard punt - I'm sure there were others. Probably best part is Texas played well we just played better and won in spite of several correctable mistakes.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
motorcy90 said:
who the hell are these fox announcers after the game (oh texas should be asking why they lost this game... they are better then ISU, they have better players then ISU bla bla bla...)

It extends to the Texas newspapers too.
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...W8qHovL6Zejm6jd8ZqmTm1SjqVMwgTe43Pj2yifPttlbg

If you would have told me 10+ years ago, that we'd out "physical" Texas one day, I also would have never believed you