*** Official #22 Texas VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It looked to me it was wide right. Not sure if that was affected by interruption of snap-hold-kick rhythm when it was whistled.

It was a hard count to try to get them offsides. As soon as they jumped, the long snapper snapped it, so I’m sure that disrupted the rhythm you’d typically see with a snap-hold-kick.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I saw somewhere that Herman was complaining about the officials. In particular he was complaining that ISU drew them offsides on the 42 yard attempt and a PI that he thought was uncatchable. I can think of two times where ISU receivers were absolutely mugged with no call, but I don't recall the play he was talking about. Maybe the one where the tX guy grabbed Pettway to slow him down?

Anywhy, the way the officials refused to call holding or PI on TX, he had nothing to complain about.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I saw somewhere that Herman was complaining about the officials. In particular he was complaining that ISU drew them offsides on the 42 yard attempt and a PI that he thought was uncatchable. I can think of two times where ISU receivers were absolutely mugged with no call, but I don't recall the play he was talking about. Maybe the one where the tX guy grabbed Pettway to slow him down?

Anywhy, the way the officials refused to call holding or PI on TX, he had nothing to complain about.

If true, maybe Tommy will get a nice apology letter from the Big XII. Should make him feel better...

[SARCASM] I know I’ve always felt better when ISU gets these letters. [/SARCASM]

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The LHN boys focused on the play calling in their last drive and the fact that they couldn't get the ball back after the 42 yard FG attempt offsides. It was all 'we shot ourselves in the foot' by not letting Ellinger throw every down. There was 'no doubt' in their mind that Texa$ would have won if they got the ball back with 2 minutes left.
Pompous a$$es.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I love this coaching staff but the clock management at the end of the first half nearly cost us the game.

Why on earth did we call 2 timeouts (the last one with 55 seconds left heading into a 3rd down call) to conserve time?? We could have run it down to 30 seconds, kicked the FG, and then kicked to Texas with 20 seconds or less. Instead, we gave them the ball with 50, went into prevent defense, and gave up a TD.

It’s probably the worst clock management mistake that I can remember from Campbell. Thank god we won because that loss would have stung.

Outside of that, great effort from the defense. Texas couldn’t run the ball AT ALL. Offensively, I love the run-pass balance. I wish we took a few more shots down the field with Texas’ garbage secondary.

We called timeout because it was the only way to get Breece back in the game since his helmet came off. I think it was just called before they really thought through the situation. It should have been called at the end of the play clock, but kind of understandable how it happened. We weren't calling it to stop the clock.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Never heard of either of them.

I've heard of Reggie, a lot. :oops:

If you have heard of a ref it's usually not a sign they are good. It means they are controversial and/or they dig the limelight. The worst of the worst are bad while also being attention whores, not a good combo.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The LHN boys focused on the play calling in their last drive and the fact that they couldn't get the ball back after the 42 yard FG attempt offsides. It was all 'we shot ourselves in the foot' by not letting Ellinger throw every down. There was 'no doubt' in their mind that Texa$ would have won if they got the ball back with 2 minutes left.
Pompous a$$es.

Honestly, the way their offense was playing and our defense was playing, I think they probably would have too. It took them all of 40 seconds to drive the field at the end of the first half and get a touchdown using no timeouts.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty sure Van Vark is the Texas fist pump ref there is a video of Texas scoring him fist pumping and saying yes.

Yup

giphy.gif

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
We called timeout because it was the only way to get Breece back in the game since his helmet came off. I think it was just called before they really thought through the situation. It should have been called at the end of the play clock, but kind of understandable how it happened. We weren't calling it to stop the clock.

I was pretty upset about that to call. Just a little thing but they can make a huge difference. I didn't see the Helmut but still at least make Texas use the TO or take as much time off as possible. That was the point of running.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
motorcy90 said:
who the hell are these fox announcers after the game (oh texas should be asking why they lost this game... they are better then ISU, they have better players then ISU bla bla bla...)

It extends to the Texas newspapers too.
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...W8qHovL6Zejm6jd8ZqmTm1SjqVMwgTe43Pj2yifPttlbg
It is somewhat understandable. They were pre-season top ten and their last four recruiting classes were ranked #s 7, 25, 3 and 3 nationally and 1, 2, 1 and 1 in the Big XII. They are not living up to expectations.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Honestly, the way their offense was playing and our defense was playing, I think they probably would have too. It took them all of 40 seconds to drive the field at the end of the first half and get a touchdown using no timeouts.

Which is easy to do with ISU playing that softly.

Was a little odd as it wasn't like Texas had really threatened deep yet. Keep it tight and make their receivers make a play.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I tend to agree, but their QB was either really on or not good at all yesterday. He was amazing on the last minute drive in the first half, but not so good for most first half.