NFL: the Getting assaulted with your own helmet brawl

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not a fan of either team but here is my take.
1) Six game suspension seems reasonable. If he had really connected on the helmet hit it could have been very, very bad. There is no excuse.
2) There should be some sort of consequence for Rudolph ripping at his opponent's helmet just because he didn't like getting sacked that late in the game. It was a clean sack and he wasn't driven into the ground.
3) Pouncy should see discipline as well. I understand that emotions are high and you may want to protect your teammate however you are protecting your teammate knowing you are prepared to suffer consequences. Besides, it is beyond protecting your teammate when the teammate is free from the melee and you are punching and kicking a guy who is on the bottom already tackled by another one of you teammates.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The helmet blow was bad, but it might not have been the worst hit of several bad ones last night. One helmet to helmet (and an ejection I believe) knocked the guy out and left him bleeding from one side of his head.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
3) Pouncy should see discipline as well. I understand that emotions are high and you may want to protect your teammate however you are protecting your teammate knowing you are prepared to suffer consequences. Besides, it is beyond protecting your teammate when the teammate is free from the melee and you are punching and kicking a guy who is on the bottom already tackled by another one of you teammates.

Pouncy got suspended 3 games.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
How was it a late hit? Everyone keeps repeating that. Garrett didn't start ****.

Play starts at 1:23. Garrett is touching him before he even releases the ball. He just finished the tackle like you're taught to do.

It's a late hit because Garrett continues to grab the QB and throw him to the ground. You can't do that. It's called roughing the passer. Why rough the passer when you're up 14 with a couple of seconds left? Nobody teaches defensive players to commit 15 yard penalties. At least I would hope nobody does.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
There are some of those national sports newscasters who are ripping on Rudolph too for instigating it. I don't know much for details, but they're saying Rudolph tried to rip Garrett's helmet off first.

Edit: I just want to add that doesn't defend Garrett's actions at all.

Maybe it's because Rudolph was sort of a ***** in the post-game interview last night (which ESPN cut away from to cover Garrett), but it felt pretty clear that he was saying crap in addition to fumbling at Garrett's helmet to start this. Garrett was just better at it - and had less self-control Not a good combination to a game that was getting really chippy.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
It's a late hit because Garrett continues to grab the QB and throw him to the ground. You can't do that. It's called roughing the passer. Why rough the passer when you're up 14 with a couple of seconds left? Nobody teaches defensive players to commit 15 yard penalties. At least I would hope nobody does.

Save it. Hes an idiotic Browns fan.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
There was less than 15 seconds when the play started and it was a simple screen play to end the game. The lineman were not blocking 100% imo because the game was over. Garrett's shot was cheap even though if it wasn't textbook roughing the passer.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Thanks. I included it because someone posted that they had no problem with what he did so I thought I should comment. I hadn't heard that he got put in timeout. I think it is appropriate.
Yeah I still don't have a problem with what he did regardless of my bias. It's his job to protect his quarterback, and if he has to throw punches and kick his head knowing knowing that he'll get suspended for it. For that, I tip my cap to him.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I am absolutely shocked that Baker gave great insight into it post game. I’m literally shocked.

• Dumb
Reactions: Doc

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

He's not throwing him to the ground! He's dragging him on top of him in a textbook (in 2019) QB tackle. Are we watching the same play?

Save it. Hes an idiotic Browns fan.

Yep my opinion doesn't matter because I'm a Browns fan. Yet no one is disputing anything besides saying "Not true" while I'm giving video evidence to the contrary. Also you have the same arguments I'm giving from different people one at a time. They don't get called idiotic.

Why do I as a Browns fan have to preface anything about the situation? Obviously he should be suspended. It's a dumb act that should be disciplined. Just because Garrett took it to another level doesn't mean everyone else is a saint.

There was less than 15 seconds when the play started and it was a simple screen play to end the game. The lineman were not blocking 100% imo because the game was over. Garrett's shot was cheap even though if it wasn't textbook roughing the passer.

How was it cheap when he literally just finished the tackle and even did it the 2019 way of pulling Rudolph on top of him?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
How timely, I just saw a show on Lyle Alzado on ESPN I think that talked about the ‘Lyle Alzado Rule’ which states that you can’t use a helmet as a weapon! He did what this guy just did and it became a rule, but he had the excuse of being roided out.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
How was it cheap when he literally just finished the tackle and even did it the 2019 way of pulling Rudolph on top of him?
As I said: "There was less than 15 seconds when the play started and it was a simple screen play to end the game. The lineman were not blocking 100% imo because the game was over."
The game was over. Watch what #53 for the Browns did when we could have help "finished" the tackle. I don't think it was illegal but it was cheap and stupid.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
As I said: "There was less than 15 seconds when the play started and it was a simple screen play to end the game. The lineman were not blocking 100% imo because the game was over."
The game was over. Watch what #53 for the Browns did when we could have help "finished" the tackle. I don't think it was illegal but it was cheap and stupid.

Then using that logic of "why bother" could argue why Mike Tomlin even called for a play on the first place down 14 with 15sec left. Why even risk anything?