Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Fran was lucky that he had several years of a very soft B1G as well. Several of his "good seasons" were fools gold.

I mean I get what you are saying, but if I’m gonna dump on him I’ve got to give him a little credit for taking advantage of that and being better than those teams when they were down. You’d expect him to always be below them and he wasn’t. He was just never able to build on that success and that is directly correlated to his failures in recruiting.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I mean I get what you are saying, but if I’m gonna dump on him I’ve got to give him a little credit for taking advantage of that and being better than those teams when they were down. You’d expect him to always be below them and he wasn’t. He was just never able to build on that success and that is directly correlated to his failures in recruiting.

this is called the dan McCarney principle.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It seems like the next couple of years don't offer Fran the homegrown talent that grew up die hard hawk fans and are passable D1 players. That, coupled with two sons on the team, could be his ultimate downfall.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I looked at both their 2007, and then 2008, recruiting classes. 2007's top recruit was Jarryd Cole. He should have been a role player at best - but was a starter in his final 2 seasons on bad Iowa teams. He averaged 8 ppg & 6 rb/g as a starter. Not exactly amazing stats for your best recruit. In 2008, it was Matt Gatens - he actually was a very good player. The other recruits that year? Anthony Tucker (averaged about 10 a game for 2 years), Devan Balwinkel (1-3ppg- ouch!!), Jermain Davis (4 ppg in only one year - ouch) and Aaron Fuller (a sometimes starter - and poor shooter - who averaged just under 10 a game before transferring). These were not very good classes, but most of those recruits at least had "stars" & other P5 offers.

McCaffery's recruiting this year has sunk below Lickliter levels.
Fuller transferred to USC fwiw.
"Indeed. The causal fan doesn’t understand that coaches need time to get their players in place and their systems and cultures established. As much as fans might like it to, these things don’t happen overnight.

You fire a coach after only ten seasons? A coach that consistently has his program in the top 10% of all D1 teams? Good luck finding a decent coach who is willing to risk taking a job at an insanely fickle program like that.

Further, the man has not just one but TWO sons on full scholarship. Ending that would not only destroy their dreams, it could bankrupt the family. Would be terrible optics for the university.

Fans are selfish and myopic. Quite frankly, most sicken me. That’s one of the reasons the extension should take place secretly. The less those idiots know, the better."

Okay hold on.. This HAS to be satire right? This person went on a few more times and seemed to hold the same stance so I honestly don't think he's kidding. I'm dying lol.
Satire

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I was telling this to one of my buddies the day Xavier signed. This could change the landscape for the recruiting aspect of the state of Iowa.
A new coach for Iowa can suddenly change that in Iowas favor. You just never know. Some coaches are better salesman than others to hs recruits.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa plays Oral Roberts (1-2) tomorrow night. It'll be interesting to see how Iowa bounces back from the embarrassing loss on Monday. Oral Roberts only lost their opening game 80-75 @ Oklahoma State, and also lost @ Tulsa 74-67 on Tuesday. Could honestly be an interesting game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Graded out Iowa's basketball class with two B+'s, a B and the Murray twins as a B-
My lord what baseline is he using to grade? Low rated 3 stars cannot be a B+ and then 0 stars can't then be a B-? Lol that makes zero sense.

This right here is one of the reasons why Fran keeps his job.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron