Jay Jordan: At the End if the Day...Oklahoma

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
The angles of pursuit thing has been an issue all season although always seems better in the 2nd half.

I'm a little surprised they can't at least make some better alignment adjustments even at the quarter.

The offense has great yardage stats and all but just doesn't quite get there. I'd rather see a jet type of thing with a receiver than a wide receiver pass when things are rolling.

Also since it seems the offsides issues have happened while there's a lot of motion etc., would it not be more effective to just line up and go get it? I see the defense often times responding to the shifts...is that more unpredictable to just snap the ball?

Part of the reason for motion is to get the defense to show what kind of coverage they are in. That lets Brock know what he needs to be looking for when passing the ball.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The angles of pursuit thing has been an issue all season although always seems better in the 2nd half.

I'm a little surprised they can't at least make some better alignment adjustments even at the quarter.

In general the safeties for ISU have been great erasers on the back end of the defense. This year with Elsworth and Lewis both being out for significant games has really hurt. Even now you can see that Elsworth is not at full speed. Not going to name guys, but the safety play of one guy was involved or not involved in every play where Iowa gained any significant yards, except for the play where Stanley ran. That was all on the DL and LBers. (nightmare play)

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
INTs have been the difference thus far. Our DBs drops and Purdy's ill timed mistakes. Both areas turn our way in the last four games of the season. Agree with Jay that we have a good shot to win out.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I feel like Azunna is more than capable of playing but isn't getting on the field much especially considering Lewis and Eisworth are banged up. Wonder what the story is there?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
2 – Turnover opportunities can be schemed and prepared for. Turnovers just happen and are the result of players making or not making plays. Defenders are often defenders because they can’t catch. Coverage personnel with ball skills are often next level players and are highly coveted. Statistical analysts classify turnovers as a product of luck. However, the number of missed opportunities experienced by this ISU team is staggering. Two against Iowa dropped, three against OSU dropped, and four against OU dropped. Those are quantifiable and determinative numbers. Perhaps it is just bad luck. It isn’t bad play. It is high-level play to be in those positions in the first place. Either way, the lack of conversion in the turnover opportunities has become pronounced given the timing and effect in the games thus far. It will not persist and will regress to the mean in the future.

This pretty well says it all. ISU has been incredibly unlucky on fumbles and tipped passes that just always land in the wrong place or bounce out of bounds. That is just bad luck. Those INTs that are right in the hands of players, man, you just can not do that stuff. Got to get that figured out somehow. Those drops clearly cost ISU in 3 of their 4 losses.
Big agree with your post. DB's get a bad rap for being unable to catch though. It's a different mindset as a defender trying to make a play on a ball that's not meant for you versus being a receiver and getting the ball as practiced. DBs are less likely to have natural hands, but there are also receivers who aren't DBs because they can't/won't tackle. I'm not anything close to a football coach, but I think the best you can do as a defensive coach is teach to your scheme is prepare your players mentally to embrace the turnover opportunity when it comes, and the techniques to hawk/strip.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Big agree with your post. DB's get a bad rap for being unable to catch though. It's a different mindset as a defender trying to make a play on a ball that's not meant for you versus being a receiver and getting the ball as practiced. DBs are less likely to have natural hands, but there are also receivers who aren't DBs because they can't/won't tackle. I'm not anything close to a football coach, but I think the best you can do as a defensive coach is teach to your scheme is prepare your players mentally to embrace the turnover opportunity when it comes, and the techniques to hawk/strip.

I'm willing to bet almost every DB was also a WR or RB in HS. Yes, they are not WRs, but there have been several of those drops that were thrown right to them. I'm not even talking about the INTs that ISU could have had with great plays.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Part of the reason for motion is to get the defense to show what kind of coverage they are in. That lets Brock know what he needs to be looking for when passing the ball.

Yep.

But does it give ISU an advantage necessarily at all times?

I'm not saying don't shift ever, just wondering if helps to keep things less complicated.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In general the safeties for ISU have been great erasers on the back end of the defense. This year with Elsworth and Lewis both being out for significant games has really hurt. Even now you can see that Elsworth is not at full speed. Not going to name guys, but the safety play of one guy was involved or not involved in every play where Iowa gained any significant yards, except for the play where Stanley ran. That was all on the DL and LBers. (nightmare play)

I see the Dline get caught too far up field pretty often it seems, also too high on tackles in space. In the last two-three years, the defense has been at its best when the dline stays in their lanes.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This thread is the history of Iowa State football all wrapped into one thread. Sooo close to being good but still losing and ending up with a modest record. We've done that for a hundred years.

Next year is the year though i just know it

I believe it. Should be more experienced. I expect contending for the Big 12 championship, and potential Top 10 berth.
vauEUgn.gif

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Sadly...this team is just as capable of going 0-3 to end the season as it is 3-0. The only consistent part of the program is their inconsistency. Most Jeckyl Hyde team I’m ever seen.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Sadly...this team is just as capable of going 0-3 to end the season as it is 3-0. The only consistent part of the program is their inconsistency. Most Jeckyl Hyde team I’m ever seen.
They’ve consistently played well. Outcomes of those efforts are rarely consistent.

• Winner
Reactions: CubsClones1

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
This thread is the history of Iowa State football all wrapped into one thread. Sooo close to being good but still losing and ending up with a modest record. We've done that for a hundred years.

Really? Most of my time as an ISU fan the team has been no where close to being good, and would be an accomplishment to end up with a modest record.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

honestly I think you are dead wrong. The outcomes have been inconsistent. But the team hasn’t been.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Respectfully disagree. We haven’t really been close over the past hundred years. Especially not this close.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Next year is gonna be so special. So excited.
I’d like to hear Jay’s take on the OL transition, because that’s my only reservation. Otherwise, this team will be doing rude things to people next year.

I suppose his view on the OL will have to wait until after the bowl game, or even Spring ball. Sighhhh...