Penny Hardaway gives a recruit an "Assist"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I know most of the posts so far have been derisive of Memphis and Hardaway, and there's probably some truth to them, but the bigger shame to me is how the NCAA systematically punishes kids from disadvantaged families like this. There are a million examples. The NCAA is such a hypocritical cartel. So frustrating.

*Edit: Also, I wanted to watch this kid in college hoops this year. Anybody seen how special he is! So sad he won't get to play in the NCAA Tourney, etc. if the NCAA's ruling is upheld which it probably will be.

********. The kid was attending private school on scholarship for high school after receiving 10k+ for moving a couple hours, most of which was likely just pocketed. The kid could have played without issue at over 250 other D1 schools and chose to go where the money was.

The kid doesn't give two ***** about college anyways so why should the NCAA play into this farce when he could have easily went overseas or to the G-league and started making money legitimately. You could have easily watched him play there if that's your priority.

10k is way more than an in-state moving expense.

Last edited:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Interesting how he handled questions after and that the school let him play until it was sorted out. Even KU sits the guys they cheated to get.....until its cleared by more Addidas money.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think this is really interesting because it isn’t your normal recruiting violation situation.

So technically all alumni are boosters. So now any high school basketball coach that graduated from a school cant theoretically do anything to pay for their students. Now I don’t like that high schools recruit but they do. Especially in other states. If we use the hard and fast interpretation that people are talking about you are making tons of people ineligible.

People are grossly misapplying the scope of the rules IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think this is really interesting because it isn’t your normal recruiting violation situation.

So technically all alumni are boosters. So now any high school basketball coach that graduated from a school cant theoretically do anything to pay for their students. Now I don’t like that high schools recruit but they do. Especially in other states. If we use the hard and fast interpretation that people are talking about you are making tons of people ineligible.

People are grossly misapplying the scope of the rules IMO.
How is this any less a violation than Martin Rancik getting use of a beat up minivan a couple of times from a family that was his defacto foster family in the US simply because even though Iowa fans they had gotten ISU season tickets one year so were classified as ISU boosters?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The company I work for paid for my relocation last year and the expenses were roughly $9000 and we moved 75 miles.

18yo kid moving to college. Last I checked, the big payments went to college tuition, not towards moving to college.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
18yo kid moving to college. Last I checked, the big payments went to college tuition, not towards moving to college.

Not moving to college. It was two years ago when he and his family moved from Nashville to Memphis. Hardaway was the coach of the HS where he moved to.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Most families can't afford $11K to move with professional movers, that's why they don't. Unless their teenage son is a 7 footer with skills. Was Penny helping other struggling familes move and handing out $11K checks? I think not -NCAA is correct -shame on Memphis for thinking this wouldn't bit them in the arse and playing him anyway.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hardaways name is thrown out by fans in 2016 during coaching search

The search was Hardaway, Hollins, Marshall, or Tubby.

Tubby won 19 games in year one, lost high profile recruits, and wasn’t filling the arena.

Rumors were out there that Tubbys leash was short after year 1.

I
have a difficult time believing Memphis boosters weren’t pushing for Penny for all reasons listed above. A former Memphis hero, lives in Memphis, homerun hire.

Maybe, just maybe, the local hero shouldn’t have been buying kids for his AAU team likely knowing he had a shot at being the next head coach in the same town.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Hardaways name is thrown out by fans in 2016 during coaching search

The search was Hardaway, Hollins, Marshall, or Tubby.

Tubby won 19 games in year one, lost high profile recruits, and wasn’t filling the arena.

Rumors were out there that Tubbys leash was short after year 1.

I
have a difficult time believing Memphis boosters weren’t pushing for Penny for all reasons listed above. A former Memphis hero, lives in Memphis, homerun hire.

Maybe, just maybe, the local hero shouldn’t have been buying kids for his AAU team likely knowing he had a shot at being the next head coach in the same town.

Or at the very least thought to run it by his school's compliance department when Wiseman committed.

• Agree
Reactions: BurgundyClone

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Wiseman? More like a Wise guy.

tenor.gif