Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There are about 3-4 threads over on Hawkeye Report right now that are ripping their basketball team / Fran McCaffery. Lot of people going back and forth on how the season is going to play out for them. Pretty funny to see lol.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
There are about 3-4 threads over on Hawkeye Report right now that are ripping their basketball team / Fran McCaffery. Lot of people going back and forth on how the season is going to play out for them. Pretty funny to see lol.
They better hope their top recruit doesn't read those. Here's a quote from him from yesterday after committing:
"It was very together. I love how the fans are together and everybody supports the Hawkeyes." Yikes.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
And here's the first thing you see:
View attachment 68587
A calm, measured, instructive developer of young men.

Is it me or is Fran turning into the dad on So I Married and Axe Murderer? He's had the temperament for years

maxresdefault.jpg

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
They better hope their top recruit doesn't read those. Here's a quote from him from yesterday after committing:
"It was very together. I love how the fans are together and everybody supports the Hawkeyes." Yikes.

I mean, it’s better to not be happy with Fran no matter what a recruit with 1 other power 5 offer thinks. The ones thinking Fran is doing a good job are the ones hurting the program.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I mean, it’s better to not be happy with Fran no matter what a recruit with 1 other power 5 offer thinks. The ones thinking Fran is doing a good job are the ones hurting the program.
Yeah there are quite a few people over there that share your same opinion. They're saying that the fans that are unwilling to call Fran what he is are the people that are helping him keep his job.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

It is funny but we've had the same stuff happen here, there were CPR loyalist who would never turn on him (some are still here but don't pop their head up anymore) despite the writing on the wall, hell you can go back to the Gmac days and there were people blindly defending the steaming pile of a program he created. It resulted in the same "you're not a real fan" type of pissing matches that are going on over there.

I will say there is a difference though, we were upset about our programs struggling and rightfully so. I think they have that too but they also have more and more of them coming to the realization that its not just ISU fans that see Iowa as the inferior program in the state. Losing Carton stung but they are used to playing second fiddle to Ohio State, Foster was a reality check for a lot of them and he definitely didn't sugar coat his reasons for picking ISU. Throw in the fact that they have no shot with the next big in state recruit and things are looking grim.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It is funny but we've had the same stuff happen here, there were CPR loyalist who would never turn on him (some are still here but don't pop their head up anymore) despite the writing on the wall, hell you can go back to the Gmac days and there were people blindly defending the steaming pile of a program he created. It resulted in the same "you're not a real fan" type of pissing matches that are going on over there.

I will say there is a difference though, we were upset about our programs struggling and rightfully so. I think they have that too but they also have more and more of them coming to the realization that its not just ISU fans that see Iowa as the inferior program in the state. Losing Carton stung but they are used to playing second fiddle to Ohio State, Foster was a reality check for a lot of them and he definitely didn't sugar coat his reasons for picking ISU. Throw in the fact that they have no shot with the next big in state recruit and things are looking grim.

What should bother Iowa fans is that if Foster shines at Iowa State it is going to make future high level Iowa kids who were born and raised hawks take a closer look at Iowa state.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Yeah I was pretty young when McDermott was a coach and never got to truly experience them with a knowledgable mind. Looking back at records and such, man those were terrible years. I think with the success our football and basketball teams have had in the recent past, I don't think this fan base will allow mediocrity again. We may argue on some things the coaches do and maybe not be overly happy with how a season turns out, but if we start getting throttled again and seeing kids just not want to play at our school, I don't think our fan base will have a problem with calling things out.

I think it also helps that a large majority of our fanbase trusts Jamie Pollard. We know that at the end of the day, Jamie is going to make a decision that greatly benefits the school.

Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What should bother Iowa fans is that if Foster shines at Iowa State it is going to make future high level Iowa kids who were born and raised hawks take a closer look at Iowa state.
I was telling this to one of my buddies the day Xavier signed. This could change the landscape for the recruiting aspect of the state of Iowa.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

And if he should end up in the NBA, Prohm will have the greatest recruiting pitch against Fran imaginable...

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I don't think that is dependent on Foster shining. Truth is most the upcoming players have watched both programs over the past 10 years and would prefer to play for ISU. Foster committing is a result of Hoiball handing off to Prohm, ISU getting players to the NBA and the Hilton Magic with fan passion. Fran and Carver just doesn't compares with ISU program today in the things teenagers grew up with and want to play in.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yeah I was pretty young when McDermott was a coach and never got to truly experience them with a knowledgable mind. Looking back at records and such, man those were terrible years. I think with the success our football and basketball teams have had in the recent past, I don't think this fan base will allow mediocrity again. We may argue on some things the coaches do and maybe not be overly happy with how a season turns out, but if we start getting throttled again and seeing kids just not want to play at our school, I don't think our fan base will have a problem with calling things out.

I think it also helps that a large majority of our fanbase trusts Jamie Pollard. We know that at the end of the day, Jamie is going to make a decision that greatly benefits the school.

Haha. You must not remember the contract he gave McDermott.

the best thing that ever happened to Iowa State basketball was that Creighton wanted to beat uni for a recruit.

I loved me some Paul Rhoads. Real nice man, and did some unprecedented things here. But it was time for him to go.

K State was right after we kicked Texas’s ass with Lanning as QB. That win would have kept him employed, especially if we kick K State’s ass, as we were doing, before the no way this can happen collapse.

Even losing on the road to good WVU team would not have dampened enthusiasm for 2016, if we run K State off the field.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cy4Lifer

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
And he should end up in the NBA, Prohm will have the greatest recruiting pitch against Fran imaginable...

Even if Fran is gone in a couple of years, it will be really tough to flip the script. Look at football, CMC and staff are still struggling to gain ground on Iowa kids, especially in the trenches.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

You have no idea how dark those days were.

Great talent, but never utilized correctly... The team always looked unhappy, even depressed, no joy at all... Great improvisational players, like Diante Garrett, were stuck running boring fixed sets from the 1950s... The best player would leave every offseason for one reason or another... A bland, slow, boring style (at least the first year of Fred was a fun style, even if they did not win many games)... Always seemed to play just below the level of their competition, lost a ton of games in Hilton, lost all their close games...

It was just awful top-to-bottom.

Even the bad Rhoads years were never as bad at McWookie. Rhoads at least had an early era of success, too, while McDermott was just bad forever.

I suppose the above influences my defense of Prohm even as much as I think his on-court success is roughly equal to Hoiberg's success (and his recruiting, through other means, is just as good if not better). Changing the head coach has upside risks as well as downside risks -- I do not want to see us fall back down into that pit again.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Yep. They're all going down.

Together.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Is it bad that I don't know who their top recruit is

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron