NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Thomas splashed his first 3. Looked like a rookie on the defensive end though. Clippers guards are tough to cut your teeth against.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Now, Matt Thomas, the-not-so-good commentary. With his offensive performance, given the short-handed roster the Raps now have, only getting 11 MIN of PT is a reflection of his struggles to guard NBA players.

From Yahoo Sports Canada's summary of the game:

Six — Inconsistent: Every single player on the Raptors battled on defense, and Matt Thomas is no exception. However, he was quite obviously their worst defender by some distance, and the Clippers made a point to single him out. Thomas gives effort, but he’s often out of position and not aware of his surroundings, which is going to limit his playing time until further notice." data-reactid="21" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: "Yahoo Sans"; font-size: 17px;">Six — Inconsistent: Every single player on the Raptors battled on defense, and Matt Thomas is no exception. However, he was quite obviously their worst defender by some distance, and the Clippers made a point to single him out. Thomas gives effort, but he’s often out of position and not aware of his surroundings, which is going to limit his playing time until further notice.

Potential: Having said that, Thomas can clearly produce on offense. He went a perfect 3-of-3 from the field, which included a triple off a pin-down, a catch-and-shoot three, and a leaning bank shot to beat the buzzer. Thomas is savvy in attacking without the ball, and his teammates are making a point to find him. The next step for him will be to get stronger, as Thomas mostly struggles to create separation when he pushes off before his cuts.

Link: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/10...-gas-vs-kawhi-leonard-clippers-065029937.html

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aobie

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Disappointing 2 minutes of garbage time (I presume) play for Georges in Utah's win over Golden State. Mudiay is back and they played a 9-man rotation. He's another one who doesn't have guaranteed money for next year. He needs a good solid run of several games in which he knocks down some shots.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Scoring machine Marial Shayok's buzzer-beater in the 2nd quarter:

(Tony Bennett's UVA teams rarely scored 67 in a GAME)

The 76ers have a couple guys banged up. I wonder if Marial could score a call-up.

Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
It was strange to me how the raptors kinda went away from team basketball on the offensive end last night towards the end of the game. Not sure how many times Vanvleet drove into the crowd to either be blocked or hit front rim with a layup but it was many. If you are going to have a shooter in the game who you know is struggling defensively you gotta at least make it worthwhile on the offense.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I just got in from a long day in transit and see that ISU's starting 5 could use some of Matt's help from 3 -- 0 for 16 from 3. Yikes. The Jazz and Nuggets' games are still going but there's news from OKC.

Both Nader and Burton (finally) got some PT tonight and it wasn't just at the end of the game. OKC lost big and shot horribly from 3 but I don't know the timing of their minutes nor the motivation for getting them in the game. Shaking things up after a slow start to the game?

I know Nader got in during the 1st half and ended up with 20 MIN, 6 PTS, 2-9 FG, 0-3 3PT, 3 REB, 2 AST, 3 TO and the killer block that started this play:

Deonte had the bigger night stat-wise with 18 MIN, 13 PTS, 5-12 FG, 3-6 3PT, 3 REB, 1 AST, 1 TO and this bit of jelly:

Strong Ames connections in this shot:

Reactions: CyTwins

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Can you pick out 3 ex Georges Niang teammates in this beautiful bit of basketball:

(Note to the OKC social media person: the art and beauty in that play were in the lob, not the dunk)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges got a DNP in the Jazz' narrow win over the Nets on Tuesday night. Utah went 9-deep.

Monte scored a season-high 14 PTS in the Nuggets' loss to Atlanta. Trae Young carved up Denver and MM was critical of his team's defensive effort. His final line was 22 MIN, 6-11 FG, 1-3 3PT, 3 REB, 4 AST, 1 BLK and, ho hum, 0 TO. Tae is now just under 7 assists to 1 turnover (34 AST and 5 TO so far this season).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
After Deonte Burton's solid numbers last night, Fan Sided site Thunderous Intentions has a lengthy piece on why B. Donovan should be giving more playing time to DB. The piece even includes short video clips to state its case. Might be interesting for Cyclone fans to take a look.

Here's a blurb from the intro:

Deonte Burton doesn’t make bad decisions, he shoots well from deep, gives reliable effort on both sides of the hardwood and is equally adept at playing with the stars and taking a backseat role or playing with the reserves and taking a leadership role. Bottom line – Burton is the perfect supplementary piece for the roster.

Watch him in the minutes he gets and it’s easy to see how adaptable he is. Most players in his position would take these brief minutes to showcase their wares but he never forces his game and does what is best for the team. If that means being the primary scorer – fine, if it means taking a backseat to another scorer – fine, or if it means being a secondary playmaker — fine.

Link: https://thunderousintentions.com/2019/11/13/okc-thunder-free-deonte-burton/

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
SIAP, watching the replay of OKC / IND, 3 former Cyclones on the floor: Deonte, Abdul for OKC and Naz for IND
Oh, yeah. You're absolutely right. I didn't even look at the Pacers' box score. Naz got his 1st (3) minutes on the court with the Pacers (missed one shot). That's kind of cool that 3 Clones played in that one (plus Ames High's Dougie McBuckets).

Reactions: Humanjukebox

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Icy cold: Matt Thomas had his first shooting night under 50% in the NBA last night. The Raps got a good win vs. the Trail Blazers but Matt's line was 12 MIN, 2 PTS, 1-6 FG, 0-3 3PT, 1 REB and 1 AST. I'm wondering if he'll be back to getting DNPs once they get everyone healthy again or whether he's showed enough (not referring to this game specifically).

The Lakers got a big win over GSW and THT had been recalled so I thought that maybe he'd get on the court. He didn't even appear in the box score and they only dressed 11, which is strange.

Monte on TV: The Nuggets play the Nets on TNT tonight at 10:30 ET / 9:30 CT.

Last edited: