Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
What I saw was a team that really misses Tyler Cook. Although never to be accused of being a lock down defender...his athletic ability alone I think covered up the many liabilities of Garza, Nunge and Kreiner.

weiskamp was better when he was a 3rd or 4th option. Hard to believe, huh?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
From the article

The Hawkeyes' four known verbal commitments possess an average Rivals star rating of 1.5, a reminder that highly coveted prospects haven’t been beating down the doors to come to Iowa City since the Hawkeyes’ NCAA Tournament run in March.

That brings us full circle, to the Hawkeyes’ first loss Monday, when Oskaloosa 7-footer Xavier Foster — a top-60 national recruit who grew up a Hawkeye fan, with a mom who bleeds black and gold — announced he would sign with Iowa State.

Foster’s Monday morning quote was brutally honest about how he assessed his final two choices.

“My family is Iowa fans. I’m an Iowa fan, personally,” Foster said. “But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State.”

Ouch.

Twelve hours later, the DePaul loss became the proverbial knife twist to end a painful day.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
From the article

The Hawkeyes' four known verbal commitments possess an average Rivals star rating of 1.5, a reminder that highly coveted prospects haven’t been beating down the doors to come to Iowa City since the Hawkeyes’ NCAA Tournament run in March.

That brings us full circle, to the Hawkeyes’ first loss Monday, when Oskaloosa 7-footer Xavier Foster — a top-60 national recruit who grew up a Hawkeye fan, with a mom who bleeds black and gold — announced he would sign with Iowa State.

Foster’s Monday morning quote was brutally honest about how he assessed his final two choices.

“My family is Iowa fans. I’m an Iowa fan, personally,” Foster said. “But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State.”

Ouch.

Twelve hours later, the DePaul loss became the proverbial knife twist to end a painful day.

Well now that we've established that the round of 32 is a deep run....

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I assume they are as bad as one would expect a Missouri Valley program to be when competing against a major conference team? For those few that do care enough to watch, how do they continue to benefit from such a FT disparity?

Are they so overmatched that they’re flailing around and getting sympathy calls?

If they’ve found a guard that can defend and still have that center with Giantism, they could be pesky.

Haven’t watched them this season, but if this team is anything like every other Fran team, their offense is built around frantically running into the lane and flailing away with an awful shot and hoping the other team gets called for a foul.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
My impressions of the players from last night's game:
Nunge - really, really bad
Garza - really gives good effort, but tires easily and is slow (I think ISU should look how DePaul played D against him and their entire team, btw)
Jorbo - Terrible D, terrible passing (poor shooting night - but I fully expect him to go full-on Keiton Paige against us)
Kriener - He looked quite decent last night, but he isn't very quick (that could be said about everyone except Toussaint)
Weiskamp - poor game last night (again, DePaul did very well defending Iowa / Weiskamp)
PencilHead - has gained more weight & pouts on the bench. He is not good, but there is a high likelihood of him going Francon1 against us in Hilton
CJ - Actually has a good shot & isn't afraid to hoist up shots at any time - he looked bad at the start of the game, but improved over the course of the game (still not enough of a sample size to determine how good he will be this year)
Toussaint - Looked awful and out-of-control in the first half, but is obviously lightening quick. Was much better in the second half and, if Fran wasn't so stubborn about playing C-Mac all the time, he would hand the staring job over to this guy and roll with it (he and Joe W are the only two players who can get to the rim with a 1-on-1 move).
P-Mac - got pushed out of the way (without much effort by the DePaul players) repeatedly. Many times he could have had the rebound - but was not strong enough to hold his position.
Bakari - The Iowa reporters lauded his play in limited minutes (led the team with 3 assists to no turnovers). One of his assists happened on a sequence where he drove to the hoop - was in huge trouble and threw a low pass to Jorbo on the 3 point line. The pass should have been intercepted, but luckily for him it got through heavy traffic. Despite the accolades, he did NOT look good.
Connor (the Chosen One) - Other than FT shooting, he was utterly AWFUL out there. Fran made a comment in his presser about experienced players playing like they were inexperienced. I think that this was 100% a reference to C-Mac.
Riley Till - first time he touches the ball last night - he throws it right in the hands of a DePaul player -- how did this guy get meaningful minutes last season?

So, 11 out of 12 players got decent minutes last night (Fran did NOT go to Baer 2.0 or other walk-ons from the bench in garbage time) and I honestly don't know what identity this team has. i think DePaul had a very good defensive game plan that we could model for our game against them. I also think that if we take care of the ball, we will be fine against them.

• Informative
Reactions: ISUalways

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
From the article

Think Chad gets the Fran-ban from the University? I mean, isn't this what Dolph was saying last season (but was just more brutally honest in how he said it)?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
From the article

Ouch.

He nailed it in that article. Honestly, I just want Iowa to go up in flames this year and Fran gets canned. But I'm afraid even with that, it won't happen as long as Barta is running things.

• Disagree
Reactions: CycloneVet