Hawk Fan Reactions to XF Announcement

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012

My daughter teaches at Oskaloosa High School. She has had him in one of her classes. Here is, verbatim, the text she sent me a few minutes ago:

“Don’t be upset about Xavier Foster’s choice. He’s an academic nightmare, arrogant, and has next to nothing for work ethic.”

Sounds like a perfect fit for ISU.

This is not “sour grapes” from her, either. She cares nothing about sports. About a year ago I jokingly asked her to tell Foster to go to Iowa or she will flunk him. Her reply was much the same as her text.

I hope all the best for the kid, but the NBA may not be the sure thing he thinks it is.
I really do not know the academic standards for either school, but judging by the outside, it seems like ISU might help him more with that than Iowa would. Seems like Iowa would hold their players more accountable than ISU. That's just my outside observation, is there any truth to my outside view? Other than what I've observed over the years in football and basketball, it seems that Iowa holds them more accountable.

Thoughts?

sour grapes
Did not know it was considered "best Practices" in the teaching profession to publish very negative opinions about 17 year old students, thought teachers were held to higher standards !! These comments are taking sports too far, and if she graduated from Iowa, their teacher education program ought to have an accreditation review!

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Seems like a fight for a different forum. I'm all social-justice-warriored out and am trying to stick to ISU recruiting and on and off field successes. Seems we have plenty of those to discuss but any chance to crap on a hawk I guess.

there is nothing social justice warrior related to the language they use to describe Iowa State athletes.

it absolutely has to do with their physical appearance.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
But, but, but, we somehow commit academic fraud while Iowa honestly care about academics according to many Iowa fans.

This is true. For example, I even recall some Satterfield chap at Iowa leading a student club on Forensic Science. Fortunately the Iowa Athletic Department caught wind of the fine work this enterprising student was doing and decided to pitch in and provide some support.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

My daughter teaches at Oskaloosa High School. She has had him in one of her classes. Here is, verbatim, the text she sent me a few minutes ago:

“Don’t be upset about Xavier Foster’s choice. He’s an academic nightmare, arrogant, and has next to nothing for work ethic.”

Sounds like a perfect fit for ISU.

This is not “sour grapes” from her, either. She cares nothing about sports. About a year ago I jokingly asked her to tell Foster to go to Iowa or she will flunk him. Her reply was much the same as her text.

I hope all the best for the kid, but the NBA may not be the sure thing he thinks it is.
I really do not know the academic standards for either school, but judging by the outside, it seems like ISU might help him more with that than Iowa would. Seems like Iowa would hold their players more accountable than ISU. That's just my outside observation, is there any truth to my outside view? Other than what I've observed over the years in football and basketball, it seems that Iowa holds them more accountable.

Thoughts?

sour grapes

Any teacher who discusses their students with anyone but applicable faculty, staff and parents should be fired.

At a minimum it tells all of us what kind of a person you raised. Wish I could say good job, but you know the rest.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
this is stupid. it would be easy to figure out which Osky teacher is the daughter of a pharmacist and telling her parent about a student’s academics. Probably should of kept that to yourself like she should have.
I copied and pasted a post from HR. I am indeed a pharmacist who graduated from Iowa in 1998. However, I always identify myself as an ISU graduate class of 1991 with a degree in transportation and logistics.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We only got Foster because he's black....according to this post on HR:

This is the elephant in the room no one wants to address.

If Foster were white, it's possible his family ties to Iowa would have made a difference. People can scoff at this all they want, but race still unfortunately matters in this country.

Fran lands plenty of top rated white kids. Outside of Tyler Cook, though, not a lot of black kids coming in with other P5 offers. I suppose if the Top 100 were compromised of plenty of white kids that wouldn't be an issue. But that isn't the case.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Wow stanzi on hn has a real hardon for Iowa State too.

must be that Ivy League education you get in Iowa city.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We only got Foster because he's black....according to this post on HR:

This is the elephant in the room no one wants to address.

If Foster were white, it's possible his family ties to Iowa would have made a difference. People can scoff at this all they want, but race still unfortunately matters in this country.

Fran lands plenty of top rated white kids. Outside of Tyler Cook, though, not a lot of black kids coming in with other P5 offers. I suppose if the Top 100 were compromised of plenty of white kids that wouldn't be an issue. But that isn't the case.
People can and should scoff at that all they want. That is pretty blatant racism and although it doesn't speak for the entirety of Iowa's fanbase, there are a lot of other Hawk fans I have seen speak this way about their basketball program. Ever since Fred took over Iowa fans have spewed out remarks about how Iowa does it the "right way" and doesn't recruit thugs. They called Georges, Monte, and Naz thugs, but never said a thing about Matt Thomas.. I wonder why? I've already seen a couple of those type of posts today and it's sad if Xavier has seen any of that nonsense on his timeline.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38 and STLISU

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
in the Big10 tourney
Yeah that also is pretty optimistic. The Big 10 will be pretty well rounded this year and I see Iowa getting an 8 or 9 seed in their conference tournament. That's right where the preseason projections had them as well. Also, Iowa hasn't gotten a better seed than a 7 since 2005 so they should really slow their roll on expecting a 6 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.