Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
tenor.gif

Reactions: pulse

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
If this recruiting class didn't have 'Red Flag' all over it, nothing does:

"...Memphis coach Penny Hardaway assisted Wiseman and his family's move to Memphis in 2018, attorney Leslie Ballin said in a news conference -- and the NCAA has deemed Hardaway a booster..."

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
This will get interesting for sure. I would think this violation could get someone fired.....or not.

I can see it now:

" Due to the questionable nature and appearance of how Mr. Wiseman ended up at Memphis...we at the NCAA have decided to take swift action in this case by penalizing Steve Prohm and Iowa State. We do realize that nowhere is it mentioned or even hinted that coach Prohm and Iowa State had anything to do with Mr. Wiseman choosing Memphis. However, we at the NCAA cannot rule out the fact during his career coach Prohm maybe.....just maybe, if even for just an instance thought of doing something this heinous. And we cannot in good faith let thinking like that go unpunished. So let this be a lesson to coach Hardaway and Memphis and herein put them on notice."

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I know most of the posts so far have been derisive of Memphis and Hardaway, and there's probably some truth to them, but the bigger shame to me is how the NCAA systematically punishes kids from disadvantaged families like this. There are a million examples. The NCAA is such a hypocritical cartel. So frustrating.

*Edit: Also, I wanted to watch this kid in college hoops this year. Anybody seen how special he is! So sad he won't get to play in the NCAA Tourney, etc. if the NCAA's ruling is upheld which it probably will be.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Penny wasn’t even the coach when this happened. Tubby was the coach. Unless I have the wrong timeline I guess it kind of sucks he did something for a kid and then he got a new job and then was not supposed to recruit him?

Reactions: Halincandenza

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Rule as written was violated, so no problem with a penalty. But this is one of those NCAA rules that's out of whack with common sense. Or, if not the rule itself, the penalty. A booster (now coach) assisted the family of a now-player, it was caught, but now the player is ruled ineligible? There isn't a penalty that might be more in line with the severity of the infraction? Same question could apply to other types of violations (such as providing meals).

And are there repurcussions for Hardaway? (Maybe that's coming, I just haven't seen anything yet).

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It’s a bs rule. An AAU coach helped a kid before he was the head coach. I’m no Memphis fan but this kid should get to play. If I was him I would just turn pro and give the middle finger to the ncaa.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Watching Baylor v Washington with Bilas on the call, and he said the NCAA can exclude Memphis from the NCAA tournament since they knowingly played a player that is having their eligibility looked in to. It will be interesting if the NCAA goes down that road; seems pretty dumb by Penny to play him against a garbage team.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Watching Baylor v Washington with Bilas on the call, and he said the NCAA can exclude Memphis from the NCAA tournament since they knowingly played a player that is having their eligibility looked in to. It will be interesting if the NCAA goes down that road; seems pretty dumb by Penny to play him against a garbage team.

May be Penny’s way of declaring his independence from the NCAA.

That’s my two-cents worth...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron