INSIDER: Super quick perspective on Leech/Anderson news

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I thought TJ had connections to him and help him get to ISU. Regardless Prohm took Jacobson after missing out on a number of other transfers that fit the rim running mold, even his teammate at Nebby Ed Morrow before he went to Marq.

It didn't seem to me like Jacobson was a back up plan as far as transfers go. I thought they knew they were getting him for awhile? But maybe I am remembering wrong. Either way, he was a great pickup by the staff.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
It didn't seem to me like Jacobson was a back up plan as far as transfers go. I thought they knew they were getting him for awhile? But maybe I am remembering wrong. Either way, he was a great pickup by the staff.

I recall Ed Morrow (Jacobson's former Nebraska teammate, ended up at Marquette) was higher on their list for transfer bigs. That's not to say Jacobson didn't have a solid list of schools interested in him though.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
gtfo with Foster. Kid isn’t even in college yet.

Conditt COULD be solid but he averaged 2 ppg. Everyone acting like he’s Anthony Davis can calm down.

Hit
Solomon Young
Michael Jacobson

TBD
George Conditt

Miss
Simeon Carter
Merrill Holden
Jeff Beverly
Brady Ernst
Ray Kasongo
Luke Anderson
Cameron Lard…I’ll admit this is kinda a hit but he was such a Shíthead ISU asked him to leave….
Hans Brase… another kid I feel bad for but I don’t know why staff thought he’d work with his aluminum foil knees

I eagerly await all the people chining in “oh but fred screwed him” or “transfer market is tough”

shut up. Prohm recruited those guys. They sucked. Doesn’t make him a bad guy or coach. He’s an amazing person and evaluator of guards but he struggles to identify big men talent.

It seems to be hard across CBB. So many guys listed at SF as recruits end up at the 4. I think it’s smart to get guys like Blackwell who can play there and then you just have to hit on a big every couple of years.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I recall Ed Morrow (Jacobson's former Nebraska teammate, ended up at Marquette) was higher on their list for transfer bigs. That's not to say Jacobson didn't have a solid list of schools interested in him though.

I am glad Jacobson is playing for ISU and has expanded his game more than I though he would from his time at NU.
I was just pointing out the recruiting theme that Prohm gravitates to rim-running shot blocker types over traditional bigs. Jacobson was taken after missing on a few other of those types. It seemed that Mike would have taken the ISU offer day 1 of his transfer recruitment due to his fandom if the staff had him priority 1 and offered the scholly right away IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence and ISC

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Iowa State will never have a roster free of misses. You lock up your core guys and then you can take some chances on a few projects. JFC not everybody has Fran as their head coach and plays 12 guys.

This is the best way to put this. The most successful teams find their best eight guys and roll with it. The other guys fill in when needed. Unless you're Fran. Then you do hockey line changes to get everyone in.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am glad Jacobson is playing for ISU and has expanded his game more than I though he would from his time at NU.
I was just pointing out the recruiting theme that Prohm gravitates to rim-running shot blocker types over traditional bigs. Jacobson was taken after missing on a few other of those types. It seemed that Mike would have taken the ISU offer day 1 of his transfer recruitment due to his fandom rather if the staff had him priority 1 and offered the scholly IMO.

I remember a few only wanting MJ as a walk-on transfer.

What idiots.

He has his limitations, but he is (at least) an average Big 12 starter.

We needed the heck out of him last year and will this year again.

Missing on him out of high school was a mistake.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Prohm gravitates to rim-running shot blocker types over traditional bigs. Jacobson was taken after missing on a few other of those types. It seemed that Mike would have taken the ISU offer day 1 of his transfer recruitment due to his fandom if the staff had him priority 1 and offered the scholly right away IMO.
He does?
Even in the Murrow vs Jacobson comparison, Murrow is 6’7” and not really a rim-running shot blocker.

The list of prioritized bigs doesn’t have that bias imo.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Conditt COULD be solid but he averaged 2 ppg. Everyone acting like he’s Anthony Davis can calm down.

Hit
Solomon Young
Michael Jacobson

TBD
George Conditt

Miss
Simeon Carter
Merrill Holden
Jeff Beverly
Brady Ernst
Ray Kasongo
Luke Anderson
Cameron Lard…I’ll admit this is kinda a hit but he was such a Shíthead ISU asked him to leave….
Hans Brase… another kid I feel bad for but I don’t know why staff thought he’d work with his aluminum foil knees

I eagerly await all the people chining in “oh but fred screwed him” or “transfer market is tough
To be fair, I think he's identified and offered a lot of good big men. He hasn't landed them, leaving him to take fallback guys who just haven't panned out. It's a chicken and egg situation honestly.

While I agree with your premise, quality big men are tougher to land than quality guards.

most of the better ones have a much wider choice of schools and can be selective on which schools they choose.

The misses are stark and depressing . The development of the current guys is also a problem.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006

Hit
Solomon Young
Michael Jacobson

TBD
George Conditt

Miss
Simeon Carter
Merrill Holden
Jeff Beverly
Brady Ernst
Ray Kasongo
Luke Anderson

I eagerly await all the people chining in “oh but fred screwed him” or “transfer market is tough”

shut up. Prohm recruited those guys. They sucked. Doesn’t make him a bad guy or coach. He’s an amazing person and evaluator of guards but he struggles to identify big men talent.
I agree w/ almost all of this, Artic, but would think you'd at least lean to "Solid" at this point for Conditt, with some nice upside still TBD. And, that "Miss" list is bad, although Lard was definitely worth the risk - it's hard to get good bigs, look across college BB, and the NBA, for that matter.

Still, I like where we're trending. The top three guys on your list (ha, the non-Misses) are all currently on the team. And, if we get Foster, that's another one with excellent potential. I like where we're heading.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
I’m glad ISU has flexibility with scholarships now but these two are up there with Ray Kasongo in terms of recruiting whiffs for this staff.

Prohm could offer a 1 armed guard and I’d trust him... big men on the other hand this staff is clueless.
Conditt, Solomon young, Lard(yes he was an idiot but he had a lot of talent), Jacobson? I wouldn’t say clueless my man. There’s been a few whiffs but that happens with every program

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Conditt, Solomon young, Lard(yes he was an idiot but he had a lot of talent), Jacobson? I wouldn’t say clueless my man. There’s been a few whiffs but that happens with every program
You could have just as appropriately said every staff will have a few hits.

That’s only 6 total seasons of play after 4 seasons, including Conditt’s 8 minutes/gm freshman season.

That said, I don’t think our seasons have really been starkly capped by a lack of big men recruiting. It’s more the opportunity cost. I like where things are going, particularly if we have shifted to grabbing versatile wings rather than risky bigs.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm in the camp that Prohm has been a decent big man recruiter while at Iowa State, or at least he is there now. I know it's a tired excuse, but he was at a huge programmatic front court disadvantage when he got here.

Kasongo was the one that hurt us the most. We desperately needed a solid 2016/2017 sit out transfer after Prohm's first season to balance classes and fill the huge void coming in 2017/2018. Instead he missed on his sit out transfer and we were forced to reach for hard to come by big men grad transfers (Beverly and Brase). Even so, he still brought in Lard, Talley, and Jacobson that year.

Last year and this year, we actually have the most post depth that we have had in this current run of cyclone basketball. We are missing that dynamic 4 this year though.

It's incredible that we aren't in worse shape as we lost Lard and THT, but still feel like we have 4 guys for the 2 spots.

It sucks to have 2 confirmed misses this year, but at least they realized it early and have been aggressive to fill it out before being stuck in the spring cycle.

Edit: I meant Brase not Holden

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
While I agree with your premise, quality big men are tougher to land than quality guards.

most of the better ones have a much wider choice of schools and can be selective on which schools they choose.

The misses are stark and depressing . The development of the current guys is also a problem.
I agree. There are a LOT more 6'5" guys out there than 6'10" and if the big guy is good there is a lot of competition for him and as much as I love the Clones we don't have the Sweet 16 and beyond history that a lot more schools have.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How can it be so hard to get a 7 foot guy who is really good?
I know this is supposed to be funny, but it got me to thinking. They believe there are somewhere around 2800 people in the world who are 7 feet tall or taller. How many of those do you suppose are males? Probably around 95%. That would make it about 2660 male 7 footers. How many are 18-24? Well ages 15-24 make up about 15.5% of world population. So that takes our pool down to about 412 college (and high school) age men who are 7 footers world wide.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Hit
Solomon Young
Michael Jacobson

TBD
George Conditt

Miss
Simeon Carter
Merrill Holden
Jeff Beverly
Brady Ernst
Ray Kasongo
Luke Anderson

I eagerly await all the people chining in “oh but fred screwed him” or “transfer market is tough

This inferior attitude of yours is coming off as kind of douchey to be honest. If you can't see or remember the problems with some of these then you can't be helped.

I'd still call Lard a hit regardless of his own wrongdoing with his attitude and brain. We are talking about evaluating talent here, not something that Prohm can't necessarily control. Lard, Young and Jacobson are hits. I would also say Conditt is likely a hit. The kid has all the right tangibles. He's long, tall, seems like he runs the floor well, rebounds, seems to have a decent IQ and will step in and give great minutes and be quite impactful this year. That kid has loads of potential, especially with his attitude and dad right there with him. Even though he's TBD, I'd still call that a solid landing in my book.

Yeah, Prohm does struggle some with forwards, but it's not like they grow on trees. The fact that you can't agree or acknowledge that there was a blip in the transition of coaching seats is insane. Prohm came in late to the recruiting trail and signed guys to fill spots in what mid to late June? You are a mid-major coach coming into the Big 12 ranks for recruiting, your staff has to switch directions and that takes time. Of course it was desperation, but unless you are a well known coach already established at big time prior programs, I don't see how many coaches could have bridged that gap with tremendous ease.