Luke Anderson and Marcedus Leech have entered the transfer portal

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Do you not remember Jameel McKay?
Who used that scholarship first semester? As I recall Jameel waiting until second semester to play had to do with his history and having to sit out two semesters (spring then fall) before being eligible not waiting for another player to clear the scholarship.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Everyone always forget all of Fred's recruiting misses...

and will forget Prohm's...
Even though it is tough to see a player leave so early after the work the staff has put in recruiting and in practice with them. I prefer parting ways early rather than trying to prove a point, ignoring the writting on the wall and not taking talent upgrades that will contribute. Better for both parties, the player find a place that works for them and the staff can find a rotation player to help ISU early.

Truth is every program has hits and misses for a verity of reasons from evaluation to players just not fitting in in practice, recruiting over or injuries. It is common for all major programs such as the MSU's Duke and KU's to have similar defections early. If those are the programs we want ISU to compete against parting ways early are the difficult decisions that need to be made. I thought that Prohm may have been to nice to take this route but that is obviously not the case.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You're right they were. But it was far less regularly than the Oregons and ISUs of the world back then. The fact that you could identify the targets you wanted in that first transfer portal, because it was far fewer, was/is huge imo. The landscape is a free for all these days, it seems, and identifying who you want and sticking to them is difficult as more and more transfer throughout most of the year.
Interesting contention to support your point- that it’s harder because there are now too many transfers to choose from!

There’s a reason our most recent season successfully relied on transfers and that this year transfers will again comprise 3/5th of our starting lineup. The narrative that competing in the transfer market is now harder for the ISU staff is false.

Recruiting good players is always tough, with a good breaks required. It’s no harder for ISU staff now, after a good 8 year run with both transfers and high schoolers, then it was in when the previous staff started.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My distinction between Bolton and Nixon is that a lot of freshmen don’t know the difference between a good and a bad shot. You should know the difference by the time you are a Junior.

What we don't know is how crappy his teammates were, how many of those shots he had to take just to make something happen, and if playing with better teammates will help him take better shots. It's the same reason why other guys have seen their efficiency go way up while transferring to us. You have to hope that's the case with these guys.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Interesting contention to support your point- that it’s harder because there are now too many transfers to choose from!

There’s a reason our most recent season successfully relied on transfers and that this year transfers will again comprise 3/5th of our starting lineup. The narrative that competing in the transfer market is now harder for the ISU staff is false.

Recruiting good players is always tough, with a good breaks required. It’s no harder for ISU staff now, after a good 8 year run with both transfers and high schoolers, then it was in when the previous staff started.
You're right, harder isn't the proper statement. More of a task/chore may be better. To me, its fairly obvious that Prohm has far more love for prep recruiting because he can build these relationships from ground zero, better understand the players and families, etc. Transfers are a quick fix that this staff understands it needs at times to fill out classes or build depth at a lesser position of strength. There will be misses at both levels as well as JuCo, it's part of the game. 3/5ths of our starting line up is transfers this year because 2 of Prohms top prep guys went Pro...

I was incorrect in my assertion that it is harder, but at the same time, the transfer portal is far different than when Fred was there and had the "transfer U" aura around this place.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Hoiberg never brought in a starter from Virginia or any school even close to that prestige. You’re “fact based opinions” don’t have facts to back them up. Season starts tomorrow Carl Malone and it’s feels a lot better being excited than being a piss ball about it. Go Clones!
Does Michigan St not count as a school of UVa’s prestige?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You're right, harder isn't the proper statement. More of a task/chore may be better. To me, its fairly obvious that Prohm has far more love for prep recruiting because he can build these relationships from ground zero. Transfers are a quick fix that this staff understands it needs at times to fill out classes or build depth at a lesser position of strength. I was incorrect in my assertion that it is harder, but at the same time, the transfer portal is far different than when Fred was there and had the "transfer U" aura around this place.
The differences, if any, are more inherent to staff qualities, not the transfer market being harder or a different aura. And given the continued reliance on transfers of the same general quality, that too is probably overblown.

Fred had too much of a wandering eye to recruit high schoolers after 2012 imo, so Prohm is much better in that regard. Notice we don’t say high school recruiting is easier now, despite the claims of more top programs having scholarships tied up in transfers.

• Creative
Reactions: srjclone

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Who used that scholarship first semester? As I recall Jameel waiting until second semester to play had to do with his history and having to sit out two semesters (spring then fall) before being eligible not waiting for another player to clear the scholarship.

From memory: ace 3pt shooter KJ Bluford left at semester, Jameel transferred in BUT had to “pay his own way” (I have no knowledge but am guessing many a scholarship was uncovered) for a semester because Bluford counted against the limit for the whole year.

Reactions: VeloClone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The differences, if any, are more inherent to staff qualities, not the transfer market being harder. And given the continued reliance on transfers of the same general quality, that too is probably overblown.

Fred had too much of a wandering eye to recruit high schoolers after 2012, so Prohm is much better in that regard. Notice we don’t say high school recruiting is easier now, despite the claims of more top programs having scholarships tied up in transfers.
Again, i stated I worded my second post incorrectly. You were correct.

added: But I do still think that something like 3x the amount of transfers and far more competition for the top ones does not make it "easier" per say.

Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
jacobson and shayok. And probably Bolton are plenty good.

fred brought in some bad transfers too...the tiny kid from Nebraska and Edozie come to mind.
Edozie wasn’t a miss. He was a situational role player and he helped us win some important games. He knew his role and did what was asked. Misses would be Halice Cooke, Anthony Booker, Buford, the USC kid etc. and yeah sometimes when playing time looks tough or when players leave late like last year we take some stretches and then suddenly the next class is more promising and those stretches disappear. To say Prohm Can’t recruit is crazy. He has brought mor NBA talent to Iowa State our of HS than any coach ever.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Jameel paid his own way his first semester here. Bubu had used the scholarship for the year. I think that's part of the reason why Fred was mad, Bubu had signed his paperwork for the year, then they had to kick him off the team like two days later. Just like that the scholarship was burned for the year.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
i dont get why ppl still talk about fred.

you talk about your ex gf to your wife? nope.

move it or lose it, loser.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Before Nov 11th...hnmm
Think I'll have a "Fosters"
giphy.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron