(Update: coach fired) Florida State eyeing Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I thought that article said that Iowa State's buyout of Campbell was $19 million...as in if he were fired today the university would owe him $19 million. The number for Campbell leaving was like $7 to $9 million or something? Maybe I am "misremembering"?

This is what I'm thinking. $19 million is way high.

Reactions: cyfanatic

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I thought that article said that Iowa State's buyout of Campbell was $19 million...as in if he were fired today the university would owe him $19 million. The number for Campbell leaving was like $7 to $9 million or something? Maybe I am "misremembering"?

i think you’re right. People don’t understand that buyouts for firing and buyouts for leaving for a new job are very different things.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...g-candidates-willie-taggart-fired/4150876002/

USA Today, courtesy the Tallahassee Democrat, lists Campbell as one of the top potential candidates at FSU

Matt Campbell, Iowa State

Coaching Record:
59-37
Salary: $3.6 million

Campbell, 39, has been a hot name around the coaching world for his performance at Iowa State. Campbell took over an Iowa State program that was 5-19 the two years prior to his arrival.

The Cyclones went 3-9 in Campbell's first season, but have gone 8-5 the last two seasons and sit at 5-3 this year. Campbell has proven that he can take over a Power Five program in turmoil and turn it into a winner.

Campbell also doesn't have ties to the state of Florida and has never coached outside the Midwest.

• Informative
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Everyone on r/cfb seems to think Campbell would have no issues jumping ship for FSU. Am I the only one that just doesn’t see it?

There are 3 jobs to worry about. ND, UM and OSU. I tend to think ND would go really hard at Campbell as he's exactly what they need but I'm also not sure they're willing to pay the amount others would.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Lotta ND folks are over Kelly. Tired of getting blown out in big games. Tired of playing tight in games that should be blowouts for ND. Tired of never taking that "next step". Sure, they made the National Championship game. They got blown out. Sure, they made the playoffs, and got blown out. Kelly should have been gone after he killed a kid.

As an Irish fan, I never wanted Kelly. I'm glad he's changed his attitude from going full purple face ever single game, but I'm still embarrassed to see him on the sidelines. I fully support FSU stepping up and offering Kelly a huge contract to take him away from South Bend.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It sounds like its all coming from the donors. The hiring of a new coach is probably going to come out of Donors pockets as well. I don't know how much the FSU AD is actually paying for this out of their pockets or the impact to their cash reserves and budget.

Can you imagine college football taking a big enough place in your life to donate millions to hiring and firing guys after a year and a half? What a miserable existence. Like, if I had that kind of money, I don't know that I'd give two ***** about college football. I'd be too busy doing cool ****.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Lotta ND folks are over Kelly. Tired of getting blown out in big games. Tired of playing tight in games that should be blowouts for ND. Tired of never taking that "next step". Sure, they made the National Championship game. They got blown out. Sure, they made the playoffs, and got blown out. Kelly should have been gone after he killed a kid.

As an Irish fan, I never wanted Kelly. I'm glad he's changed his attitude from going full purple face ever single game, but I'm still embarrassed to see him on the sidelines. I fully support FSU stepping up and offering Kelly a huge contract to take him away from South Bend.

I have some information for you. That's the peak of ND football. You're in the same boat as Michigan. You have restrictions in academics and you have a tougher academic schedule so every kid out there isn't available to you. ND is also in a cold climate. If ND didn't play such an easy schedule the past few years, they don't reach where they have and that's not on Kelly just like all of Michigan's troubles aren't on Harbaugh.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Can you imagine college football taking a big enough place in your life to donate millions to hiring and firing guys after a year and a half? What a miserable existence. Like, if I had that kind of money, I don't know that I'd give two ***** about college football. I'd be too busy doing cool ****.

To the people who are giving this kind of money, this is the cool **** they do. But its also a bunch of people who want to feel important to try and outdo their other rich friends. Its a status symbol that they can push other people around and say, look at what I did. This is probably no different than Charlie Strong at Texas.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

As required by Internet Law:
tumblr_om9q1q9Eer1spkic4o1_500.gif

• Funny
Reactions: 2020cy

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I have some information for you. That's the peak of ND football. You're in the same boat as Michigan. You have restrictions in academics and you have a tougher academic schedule so every kid out there isn't available to you. ND is also in a cold climate. If ND didn't play such an easy schedule the past few years, they don't reach where they have and that's not on Kelly just like all of Michigan's troubles aren't on Harbaugh.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. No other school has the exposure ND has. Sure, they have academic standards, but they also have unlimited resources to "help" student athletes graduate and be successful. BK was able to get ND back to the National Championship and back to being a top tier team. He will never be able to get ND to win the National Championship.

This "cold climate" argument is bogus. Ohio State has no problem winning. 100% of Notre Dame's problems are on Brian Kelly.

• Agree
Reactions: acody

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. No other school has the exposure ND has. Sure, they have academic standards, but they also have unlimited resources to "help" student athletes graduate and be successful. BK was able to get ND back to the National Championship and back to being a top tier team. He will never be able to get ND to win the National Championship.

This "cold climate" argument is bogus. Ohio State has no problem winning. 100% of Notre Dame's problems are on Brian Kelly.

if you are an Iowa State fan you should hope kelly stays.

also ND hasn’t been relevant in far longer than Kelly’s been around.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Ohio State tried to hire Campbell?

In the coaching world, the first thing a school does is approach the agent for the coach and ask "would they be interested in the open position and would they be willing to interview for it?" The agent takes the message to the coach, and then gets his reply. If the coach is interested, then both he and the school inform the coaches current school about their desire to interview for the open position.

I would think when approached by OSU, Campbell asked if Day would be a candidate, and when told that he was, he passed on the interview. What is the point of interviewing, when he figured that OSU was going to end up giving it to Day not him.

Campbell has built up a lot of good graces with the fan base, I am sure he would like to keep that, and if he is interviewing for jobs, the fans will view that he is just looking for a better job.
Better to wait until one opens up that you love and have a good shot of getting, I suspect that Pollard knows all of this, and does not want it to be public knowledge either.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Ohio State had one of the top 2 coaches in college football over the previous two decades and they have no academic restrictions.

It's not all about the rigorous academic schedule. It's about the fact they can't get every guy in. If it's just one guy a class that my be 2-3 superstars which is what separates making the playoffs with an easy schedule and being competitive in the playoffs.

ND doesn't have near the exposure advantage they used to have and I'd argue that outside of being constantly overrated because of their name, they don't hold any advantage over anyone in that top tier. I can watch every game those other guys play now. It's not the 90s anymore where Michigan and ND are on 75% of the time. As a Michigan fan, I've had to come to terms with the fact that there isn't a distinct advantage over the second tier and it goes without saying there isn't an advantage against the Alabamas, Georgias and USCs of the world. They're big programs with a huge amount of resources and a large amount of restrictions.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron