(Update: coach fired) Florida State eyeing Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
USC job > FSU job. But to be clear, you have massive population and alumni bases in Tampa, Orlando, and Atlanta. All within 4 to 5 hour drives. With the Bright Scholars program in FL, FSU has become much better academically and strong instate and regional talent goes there for school.

Doak and the surrounding area is admittedly very cool. Tallahassee (not unlike Ames or any other college town), is kind of a dump :) yep I said it. I'll actually be there for a conference this week, so I'm looking forward to seeing some of the improvements. From my recollection about 3/4 years ago, the facilities weren't that bad, it was just an easy callout for Jimbo.

Also, has anyone stepped foot on the FSU campus.......it's not hard to recruit 17/18 year kids there if you know what I mean;). The talent pool to draw from in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida is enormous. It's no wonder there are really only 2 ACC schools that can go toe to toe with the SEC powerhouses, Clemson and FSU.

If they get the train rolling with the right coach, FSU is a sleeping giant. IMO, they acted hastily with Willie Taggart.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If Michigan keeps losing and fire Harbaugh, don't you have to make the call to Urban?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I believe A&M essentially offered him unlimited resources which is why he left.
He also needed to get out while his value was high.

FSU’s location isn’t as good as one would think in terms of resources, but they’re a close second in the best recruiting state. Florida’s resources and overall AD were in a similar stall prior to Foley.

I’ve wondered if the rise of all the G5 schools in FL has hurt the Big 3 ability to always be good. The fall-back and walkon pool isn’t necessarily waiting anymore.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Jimbo Fisher will Fail at A&M. Never though he was the best coach. His last few years at Florida State was a sinking ship.
Somehow WIllie Taggart had one decent season at Oregon and Florida State had to get him.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They must be really confident they can get a big name in there. Fired less than two years on the job.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Here my shakedown:

FSU: Lane Kiffin
USC: James Franklin
Ark: Mike Leach
Tenn: stays with their current HC
PSU: Could easily be Matt Campbell...
WSU: No one cares