Game of Thrones Season 8

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Can this be described as anything but laziness? I'd be pretty pissed if I were GRRM right now. Could have been so much more.
I would think GRRM is tickled pink about this. He guarantees that his end to the story is going to be well received, if only because it's not what the show depicted. People are going to line up in droves to buy his books, to see how his ending is different. He's going to make a mint on top of the boatload of cash he made from the TV series.

As long as his ending is different from the show ending, or if it's not, set's up the ending better, he's going to have tons of insulation from critics.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I would think GRRM is tickled pink about this. He guarantees that his end to the story is going to be well received, if only because it's not what the show depicted. People are going to line up in droves to buy his books, to see how his ending is different. He's going to make a mint on top of the boatload of cash he made from the TV series.

As long as his ending is different from the show ending, or if it's not, set's up the ending better, he's going to have tons of insulation from critics.

I think he would have much rather the show been faithful, and he could have seen it play out on screen in his lifetime. Especially because the casting was so good for some of the characters. I don't think I will ever think of Arya and not picture Maisie Williams. Not to mention make more cash with more seasons.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
HBO cancelled The Long Night prequel series. That's a bit of a bummer.
They are going forward with the Targaryen prequel instead. Which, tbh, I think is the better choice. With the way the White Walkers played out and their "swift" end, I'm not sure fans would have been as all in on that, compared to a story based around the Doom of Valyria/Targaryen Conquest or The Tourney of Harrenhall/Roberts Rebellion

• Agree
Reactions: State43 and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
They are going forward with the Targaryen prequel instead. Which, tbh, I think is the better choice. With the way the White Walkers played out and their "swift" end, I'm not sure fans would have been as all in on that, compared to a story based around the Doom of Valyria/Targaryen Conquest or The Tourney of Harrenhall/Roberts Rebellion

Just announced moments ago...

74634401_10157011765417734_5340966530370764800_n.jpg

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I believe they hinted at this prior to canning the "Long Night" pilot. Which I think is a smart choice. Curious to see how they use the books, because Fire & Blood was very historical in nature like the World of Ice and Fire rather than storytelling similar to a Song of Ice and Fire

They are going to need some good writers, but the source material is interesting and there are a lot of really interesting characters and intrigue.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
They are going to need some good writers, but the source material is interesting and there are a lot of really interesting characters and intrigue.
totally. That is a positive for sure. It's more of a skeleton of the story at this point. It could be fantastic, it could seemed forced. But I am more intrigued by this pilot's potential compared to the White Walker origin story one.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I am excited about the Targaryen series as it will be exciting to see them conquer Westeros.

However, I always thought it would personally be a cool idea to follow the Targaryen's throughout their history starting with being sheep herders in old Valeria before finding dragons. Each season or two would be set within a certain time frame with the entire series spanning over the entire history of Valeria and their conquest of Westeros. The hard part would be to include story arch's spanning thousands of years throughout the series.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I am excited about the Targaryen series as it will be exciting to see them conquer Westeros.

However, I always thought it would personally be a cool idea to follow the Targaryen's throughout their history starting with being sheep herders in old Valeria before finding dragons. Each season or two would be set within a certain time frame with the entire series spanning over the entire history of Valeria and their conquest of Westeros. The hard part would be to include story arch's spanning thousands of years throughout the series.
Completely agree. I think it would be cool if they had some call backs to Valeria as they were conquering Westeros. Idk if flashbacks are in the cards, but at least more discussion on the topic.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I don't know if anyone has seen this thread, but it really validates a lot of the criticism of Benioff/Weiss and where they took the show. Coincidentally or not, they are now not doing Star Wars with Disney.

I thought they did a very good job when staying with the source material, but on their own they were a mess. Had some highlights, like the Hound/Arya buddy movie, but the lowlights were so so low, like Dorne.

Really makes me sad for the cast members who were so brilliant. They should have been led by a team that was committed to telling the story and being faithful to their characters. D&D refuse more time, more money and even writers to destroy the story.

It's a shame, they had such an opportunity, had the biggest show in the world, and had YEARS if material to work with, and amazing acting and support from HBO.

Edit: I see 3GenClone posted some highlights.

The cast members from all the reports were just as ready to move on.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I think GRRM’s ending will get tons of heat because once it’s finished by Brandon Sanderson after he dies everybody will say it sucked too.

In all seriousness it’s incredibly difficult to finish a long book series or TV show well. Pretty much everybody hates the endings of shows and long book series’. Again, that’s why Harry Potter especially is such an achievement. Even Endgame landed it pretty well.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just got this phrase from GOT tattooed on my inner bicep - There is only one god and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death.