Game of Thrones Season 8

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Apparently, it was an incidental casualty of the dragon's frustration (which I agree, is dumb). Doing so on purpose would have at least gave some deeper meaning to the event, and give some sense of sentience to the dragons.

Oh. I didn't click on the link I just watched the video in the post so I was confused

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclonepride

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I have less of an issue with what Drogon did, and more an issue with how fast Dany flipped and went scorched earth on the city and civilians so quickly.

I can see an argument at least that it could be poignant that Drogon burnt down the throne, which could be conceived as the "root cause" of Dany's obsession "madness."

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Kind of a weird non-explanation considering it was the only thing Drogon burned. Shows how fans overthink a lot of these things, whether they're right or wrong to do so. I gotta say, that's a dumb detail and it makes way more sense for Drogon to consciously burn the Iron Throne.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
0pacceit3ez21.jpg

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If it was "an accident" why did they show it on camera so much?

Sounds like spectacle more than substance, which was one of the main criticisms of the last season. So they just really wanted the visual of the throne burning? And it meant nothing more than that? Like I said, a really weird decision.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The whole reason this stuff is coming out is because shows with Emmy nominations for good writing released their scripts.

The takeaway from this shouldn't be about Drogon or Jon/Sansa being bad at geography, it should be HOW THE HELL IS GoT NOMINATED FOR A WRITING EMMY?!

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The whole reason this stuff is coming out is because shows with Emmy nominations for good writing released their scripts.

The takeaway from this shouldn't be about Drogon or Jon/Sansa being bad at georgraphy, it should be HOW THE HELL IS GoT NOMINATED FOR A WRITING EMMY?!

Because it was an awesome show despite what people who over think it say.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dandy

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

The takeaway from this shouldn't be about Drogon or Jon/Sansa being bad at georgraphy, it should be HOW THE HELL IS GoT NOMINATED FOR A WRITING EMMY?!

my thoughts exactly

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Pulled this thread back from the graveyard. This might be the best review for how horrible D&D's writing/direction for season 8 was.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So these two idiots completely rushed and ruined their version of Game of Thrones because they wanted to move on to Star Wars only to now no longer be a part of their Star Wars project. They're giving their new nine figure deal with Netflix all of their attention.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/star-wars-trilogy-game-of-thrones-writes-no-longer

I briefly said this in the Star Wars thread, but the optics here are poor. They accepted a deal so they had a job after Game of Thrones, then a better offer came along and they took it.

From Star Wars standpoint, they wanted a new movie out in theaters by 2022, depending on how much work got done, they may have to push that back. It may be a good thing however as one supposedly B&W were tired of Game of Thrones. Forcing them to do a trilogy within the scope of the Star Wars universe may pigeon hole them again. Netflix will give them great freedom.

I said in the other thread that Star Wars was the rebound part of a person moving between relationships.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I briefly said this in the Star Wars thread, but the optics here are poor. They accepted a deal so they had a job after Game of Thrones, then a better offer came along and they took it.

From Star Wars standpoint, they wanted a new movie out in theaters by 2022, depending on how much work got done, they may have to push that back. It may be a good thing however as one supposedly B&W were tired of Game of Thrones. Forcing them to do a trilogy within the scope of the Star Wars universe may pigeon hole them again. Netflix will give them great freedom.

I said in the other thread that Star Wars was the rebound part of a person moving between relationships.
Good luck, Netflix. Their best work came when they were using GRRM's existing material. Once they had to write their own stuff GoT was not great. Star Wars is definitely better without them if they were going to allow B&W to write their own stories. They would have been bad.

Has Netflix or B&W mentioned/released what exactly they're going to be working on there?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Good luck, Netflix. Their best work came when they were using GRRM's existing material. Once they had to write their own stuff GoT was not great. Star Wars is definitely better without them if they were going to allow B&W to write their own stories. They would have been bad.

Has Netflix or B&W mentioned/released what exactly they're going to be working on there?

True, but in some ways, they got boxed in a bit by what GRRM had created. If I remember correctly, they were including a bunch of the subplots and whatnot in the earlier seasons to give GRRM more time to finish his books, as well as not really knowing which ones were important. I think when it became obvious that they were on their own, they had to make the call to get to an end point.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
True, but in some ways, they got boxed in a bit by what GRRM had created. If I remember correctly, they were including a bunch of the subplots and whatnot in the earlier seasons to give GRRM more time to finish his books, as well as not really knowing which ones were important. I think when it became obvious that they were on their own, they had to make the call to get to an end point.

That may have been what they said initially, but here is what they said at Austin Film Festival this past weekend:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-creators-behind-game-of-thrones-apparently-had-no-i-1839416149

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

I don't know if anyone has seen this thread, but it really validates a lot of the criticism of Benioff/Weiss and where they took the show. Coincidentally or not, they are now not doing Star Wars with Disney.

I thought they did a very good job when staying with the source material, but on their own they were a mess. Had some highlights, like the Hound/Arya buddy movie, but the lowlights were so so low, like Dorne.

Really makes me sad for the cast members who were so brilliant. They should have been led by a team that was committed to telling the story and being faithful to their characters. D&D refuse more time, more money and even writers to destroy the story.

It's a shame, they had such an opportunity, had the biggest show in the world, and had YEARS if material to work with, and amazing acting and support from HBO.

Edit: I see 3GenClone posted some highlights.

• Agree
Reactions: State43