Calling all Horror Movie Fans: Favorites and Open Discussion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Watched Halloween 3 today. Shockingly I had never seen it before. Most likely because it had nothing to do with the original.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And it’s awful (except I think Paul Rudd is the main character? It’s been probably close to 20 years since I’ve seen it.)

I think that's 'Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers'.

Had to look it up.

Halloween 3 is 'Season of the Witch' that has nothing to do with Myers. Not that great but actually probably more interesting than every other part of the series except the original.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Halloween 3 is 'Season of the Witch' that has nothing to do with Myers. Not that great but actually probably more interesting than every other part of the series except the original.
Yea, It was pretty much standard 80's low budget horror fare. At least it was interesting enough to sit through the whole thing.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yea, It was pretty much standard 80's low budget horror fare. At least it was interesting enough to sit through the whole thing.

Any movie that has the gull to kill a kid is going to at least have some sort of effect.

Jaws had many other things that made it great, but when the boy on the raft gets taken, it became that much more ruthless.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Watched Eli on Netflix yesterday. Anybody else watch it? Don’t know how I feel about it.
I watched that and The Ritual this weekend. Eli definitely had a twist. I thought it was solid but wasn't anything great. The Ritual started off pretty good but I thought the last chunk of the movie was kinda dumb.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I watched that and The Ritual this weekend. Eli definitely had a twist. I thought it was solid but wasn't anything great. The Ritual started off pretty good but I thought the last chunk of the movie was kinda dumb.

I thought The Ritual was terrible.

I don’t know, Eli wasn’t bad. Definitely was a twist, though as soon as they started hinting at it in the last act it became pretty obvious. Lily Taylor was great, as always. Can’t remember her name, but the mom was really good. Max from Stranger Things was good in her limited role. I don’t know. Something about it just left me feeling like “did I actually enjoy that?” at the end.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I thought The Ritual was terrible.

I don’t know, Eli wasn’t bad. Definitely was a twist, though as soon as they started hinting at it in the last act it became pretty obvious. Lily Taylor was great, as always. Can’t remember her name, but the mom was really good. Max from Stranger Things was good in her limited role. I don’t know. Something about it just left me feeling like “did I actually enjoy that?” at the end.
The premise of The Ritual was dumb. I thought the first chunk when they went into the woods had some creepy moments but the rest of it was stupid. Those guys were idiots and the creature was weird. There were a lot of parts of the movie that just left me confused.

I agree with your assessment on the Ritual. It had some good elements but when it was over I did not feel very "wowed" .

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Recent watches:

Midsommar-So good! My favorite movie of 2019. Had some visually stunning sequences.

Antrum-The tagline is the last movie you will ever watch. Follows in the footsteps of The Ring while doing it's own thing.

Polariod-Terrible

Clinton Road-Terrible

Haunt-Movie about a group of people looking for an extreme scare on Halloween. Enjoyable!

Digging Up the Marrow-A found footage style movie where the director has someone approach him claiming monsters are real. I love found footage so I dug this.

Session 9-Recently hit Shudder. It was a good rewatch. About a group of insulation workers at a mental institution that has been abandoned.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Gonna to see Parasite today. Anyone watch it yet?
No idea why this was considered horror by many. Maybe because it’s dark as ****? Or because people don’t understand the real life horrors of the working poor?

Absolutely fantastic movie. Probably the best I’ve seen in years. But horror it is not. Probably more dark drama/dark comedy?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Parasite is playing at our local "arts" theater. I think it only seats about 25 people. I doubt I will get to see it as I have much to do to get ready to drive back to Virginia again Thursday.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Hit me up, I’ll go to it again.
I was on the opposite part of the state from you.
They are now showing Parasite here at a couple of the theaters so I might go see it this afternoon. Showing at 4:15 on Sunday but 3:15 Mon-Wed which makes no sense. I could sneak out of work to make a 4:15 showing but would feel guilty leaving early enough to see a 3:15 showing.
Of course it wouldn't be the first time I left work in the afternoon to see a movie.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I was on the opposite part of the state from you.
They are now showing Parasite here at a couple of the theaters so I might go see it this afternoon. Showing at 4:15 on Sunday but 3:15 Mon-Wed which makes no sense. I could sneak out of work to make a 4:15 showing but would feel guilty leaving early enough to see a 3:15 showing.
Of course it wouldn't be the first time I left work in the afternoon to see a movie.
I mean, are they tracking you or something?!