RECRUITING: Xavier Foster recaps official visit to Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Those are generational talents though.. Unless you're like them, you're going to need exposure. You're going to need to be on TV a lot. The more you're shown, the more people talk about you and the more your stock rises. Going far in conference tournaments and NCAA tournaments help immensely with that because everyone is watching you.

Lot of UVA and Tech guys rose pretty fast late year. Gee, I wonder why.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Good point. Reminded me that Nova's 6th-man/soph left early after their NC run. Would never have happened for that kid (at least that early) without that NCAA run.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Got to meet Xavier this summer as he was with his GF and her family here in Ames. He's a very humble young man. He seems pretty reserved in public. I thought he was genuine and wished him luck this for the upcoming basketball season along with telling him that I didn't envy him for having to make a college decision. He was very respectful which shows me his family has done a good job in raising him with the "thank you and sir" responses. I'm happy for him in whatever choice he makes. Just hopes his colors will be cardinal and gold though.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And yes, this is the textbook guy that thinks all of Iowa State players are thugs, and probably because of the color of their skin.. which is sad. He probably thought Georges and Naz were thugs, when they are some of the most down to earth people in the world.

Every time someone stuck a microphone in front of those two they made me proud to be an alumni. Damn happy to have them as graduate alumni from ISU. You can throw in Morris and the soft spoken Burton into that mix to. We've had a great run of fine young men here recently. There hasn't been a time since I watched games in the old Armory that I've liked the players personally so much.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Right. I 100% agree that if you're talented, some way or another you will get found. However there are definitely schools that allow a better opportunity to showcase your abilities night in and night out. And then actually making the NCAA tournament and going far in it helps as well. And like you said earlier, I'm not talking about the guys who are currently all stars in the NBA that went to smaller schools, I'm talking about the guys who some may not know of.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
well for everyone talking about his GF goes to ISU and this that and the other, he doesn’t post much about her (from the 5 seconds of looking at his page that I’ve done). I hope I’m wrong but I just find it too telling that both he and his dad are liking everything Iowa, basketball and football. It’s not like the ISU football account hasn’t tweeted about any wins in the last 3 weeks they coulda thrown a “like” on. I think it means more than you’re giving it credit for

I think its weird that you study the guy's twitter likes.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think its weird that you study the guy's twitter likes.
It's the same thing that happens when a professional player starts liking other organization's tweets. People blow up about it, when in reality it probably means nothing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I agree, it's not about exposure. But it is about coaching and raising your game due to level of competition for most players with NBA aspirations, ie not the Morants of the world.
Right. And hand in hand with this is the way a coach uses a player and showcases their talents. Fran has misused players in the past and I have no doubt it has damaged their draft status.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I mean, player development is a thing. Prohm has shown to be pretty good at it. Fran, not so much.
This x100,000,000!! The reason Cook could not ultimately get drafted or obtain a roster spot in the NBA is because of the team/coach he chose out of high school. Fran SOOOOO screwed up his development!! TC was close - but that was due to his natural talent - unfortunately that talent was NOT developed to ready him for the NBA! Basabe & even Uthoff are two other examples of guys who would have benefitted from a better developmental coach. Uthoff, had he stayed at Wisky or chose ISU would, at the minimum, be where Nadar is today.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This x100,000,000!! The reason Cook could not ultimately get drafted or obtain a roster spot in the NBA is because of the team/coach he chose out of high school. Fran SOOOOO screwed up his development!! TC was close - but that was due to his natural talent - unfortunately that talent was NOT developed to ready him for the NBA! Basabe & even Uthoff are two other examples of guys who would have benefitted from a better developmental coach. Uthoff, had he stayed at Wisky or chose ISU would, at the minimum, be where Nadar is today.

i don’t about that with Uthoff. Terrible defender.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
i don’t about that with Uthoff. Terrible defender.
That is kinda my point - he was terrible because he NEVER developed the ability. Had he stayed at Wisky or come here, he would have been better defensively (and much more likely to NOT disappear in big games / 2nd halves)!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wanting to feel as confident about this as others, but I'm struggling. If Iowa State is a foregoing conclusion, why even whittle it down to 2 schools at this point? Why not just commit?

Reactions: cyfanatic

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wanting to feel as confident about this as others, but I'm struggling. If Iowa State is a foregoing conclusion, why even whittle it down to 2 schools at this point? Why not just commit?
There have been several possible reasons already posted if that is your only concern. I am more concerned because predicting the actions of a teenager is an act of futility.