EPISODE VII: The Invasion of Lub’bock

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Nice write-up Mr. Jay. Question for you. Before B. Hall, I think I had seen our offense get 1:1 match ups for our RB's with DB's only to have our RB's tackled before good progress up field was made. I see the same thing with BH, but he seems to utilize his talent to break the play for a larger gain than was blocked for.

- Did you notice the same thing earlier in the season?
- Is this a talent of BH or just bad tackling by the last two opponents?

Even if he is tackled in the 1:1 situation, that is still happening after 5 yards or so for a good gain each time.

Additional thoughts there?

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Nice write-up Mr. Jay. Question for you. Before B. Hall, I think I had seen our offense get 1:1 match ups for our RB's with DB's only to have our RB's tackled before good progress up field was made. I see the same thing with BH, but he seems to utilize his talent to break the play for a larger gain than was blocked for.

- Did you notice the same thing earlier in the season?
- Is this a talent of BH or just bad tackling by the last two opponents?

Even if he is tackled in the 1:1 situation, that is still happening after 5 yards or so for a good gain each time.

Additional thoughts there?
Yes, I wrote about that very thing in several of the post game pieces. Hall seems to have an added ability to not just finish a run, but see a path to the end zone and put his effort behind that.

The opponents have helped, but when an opponent is poor you have to finish them off and Hall appears to have that kind of instinct.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
bantha poo doo!

giphy.gif

j/k, that was fun

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Yes, I wrote about that very thing in several of the post game pieces. Hall seems to have an added ability to not just finish a run, but see a path to the end zone and put his effort behind that.

The opponents have helped, but when an opponent is poor you have to finish them off and Hall appears to have that kind of instinct.
Jay, every good RB needs a spell guy. Who of our backup RBs makes the most sense to set apart as our dependable spell guy? What qualities/skillset compliments the product Hall already gives us? (This obviously assumes we'd stop deciding this by committee...which is unlikely)

• Disagree
Reactions: CyCloned

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Jay, every good RB needs a spell guy. Who of our backup RBs makes the most sense to set apart as our dependable spell guy? What qualities/skillset compliments the product Hall already gives us? (This obviously assumes we'd stop deciding this by committee...which is unlikely)
That is an excellent question and observation. Isn’t it interesting that Breece has gobbled up almost all of the snaps the last two games?

It may be just a recognition of his production level being so high and a feeling that there are solid reserves in case of injury. But, after Kene botched that catch, it has been all Breece.

Lang is the logical compliment to him, but in recruiting it was clear that he was a three down back. Putting another back in at this point may just be wasting downs.

with the threat Hall presents, perhaps they are seeing an effect on the defense and in coverage. If his presence creates matchup advantages in the passing game, then that might be why we are seeing what we are.

Great question. I will talk to Jeff about it and try to write something on it next week.

Reactions: MeowingCows