Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Why would you say no? From the website you listed,

According to NCAA rules, however, any kind of workout you attend on an official visit cannot be organized by the coach or coaching staff. Typically, the workout will be led by the team’s captains. Take this opportunity to see if you connect with your potential teammates.

I don't believe the coaching staff can watch these workouts either, as Dad implied. But I am not a recruiting expert.

I just recall there was a dust up several years ago when it came out that Self's office just "happened" to overlook some basketball courts where the team would play with recruits.
Here is why:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/initial-eligibility-rules-involving-tryouts

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Guess I will not bag on the Murray offer until I see what they can do. It looks like a WTF offer if Prohm did it, but he has had some of those that turned out to be right. Maybe the light has come on for them in the last year, and they are much better than their ratings.

Still wonder why Fran seems to offer a lot of skinny 6' 7" guys when they so clearly need some guards, but he must have a plan.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Guess I will not bag on the Murray offer until I see what they can do. It looks like a WTF offer if Prohm did it, but he has had some of those that turned out to be right. Maybe the light has come on for them in the last year, and they are much better than their ratings.

Still wonder why Fran seems to offer a lot of skinny 6' 7" guys when they so clearly need some guards, but he must have a plan.
He does. He's shown he is very fond of the all small power forward line up.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

I'm not sure about the part bolded above. He had some "fillers" like Brase, Jeff, & Holden - but those were transfers, not High schoolers with "zero stars." Even his high school recruits that have transferred out generally had numerous D1-major offers. Fran continues to offer the Jorbos of the world (or his own kids) and fill in the rest of the roster with Iowa fans' kids. Once in a while he gets a legacy / Iowa fan recruit that is really good (Weiskamp, Uthoff). He has done pretty well in getting a largely mid-major roster to overachieve (at least offensively) - but the well seems to be drying up (that is why Foster could be a major coup for us).

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm not sure about the part bolded above. He had some "fillers" like Brase, Jeff, & Holden - but those were transfers, not High schoolers with "zero stars." Even his high school recruits that have transferred out generally had numerous D1-major offers. Fran continues to offer the Jorbos of the world (or his own kids) and fill in the rest of the roster with Iowa fans' kids. Once in a while he gets a legacy / Iowa fan recruit that is really good (Weiskamp, Uthoff). He has done pretty well in getting a largely mid-major roster to overachieve (at least offensively) - but the well seems to be drying up (that is why Foster could be a major coup for us).

All those transfers had P5 offers too. Hell even Georgetown and St Johns wanted Beverly

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The misses drastically outweigh the hits...

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I was very surprised by Iowa being rated #59. They must think that Jorbo will be back to normal and that Garza and Weiskamp will somehow keep them in games.
That 59 is for the recruit ranking. Not pre-season ranking.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I heard that this guy has a couple of kids Fran is considering making an offer...
0415playmaker_hr.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Dormeezy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Normally I wouldn't go to a hok board but curious to see what the spin would be.... how's this for a gem of a post.
View attachment 67757

This pretty much sums up the real, vast majority of Iowa fans. Don't know a ******* thing about ISU players but throw out the typical veiled racist drivel you'd expect from a fanbase made up primarily of old white burnouts from **** hole dying Iowa towns. Once again, the "Transfer thug" argument ended with the Anthony Hubbard recruitment. Sucking with a bunch of white dorks from Iowa for the following decade doesn't change that.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

RobHoweAdministrator
If I were wagering, I think we see Garza and Wieskamp go through the NBA Draft process next year.

garza has no chance at the NBA.. he’s way to slow footed.. he Wouod get crushed trying to defend 4’s in nba.. lmao..

Weiskamp might after his Jr year.. maybe.. Weiskamp= Uthoff. Uthoff has struggled to get anywhere close to nba roster.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I was very surprised by Iowa being rated #59. They must think that Jorbo will be back to normal and that Garza and Weiskamp will somehow keep them in games.

It probably isn't far off. 10th in the B1G. Would like to see them finish a bit higher. We are all laughing about it now but we are in earshot of Fran being run off especially considering the talent he has (or hasn't) lined up for the next few years. It will be a sad day when we wake up and find out he has jumped to take his dream job at Binghamton.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member
We all knew that guy in high school who would steal a prom date just to prevent the kid who really liked the girl from getting the date.
It's been said that Bear Bryant would steal Auburn recruits more because he knew it would piss off Auburn than than help Alabama.
@BryceC?:)
1) we do? I never heard of anyone stealing a prom date to prevent someone else from going with them

2) Prohm = Bear Bryant... Cool!

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
That 59 is for the recruit ranking. Not pre-season ranking.
I know that it is their recruiting ranking, but this is a different article - this is CBS's preseason TEAM ranking for 19-20. Here is the write-up from the article to which I am referring:
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 3.21.00 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: jmb