Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Lol, that's a good look...

Can't really blame Murray for defending his kids, but this is supposed to be big time college basketball.

Hawk fans can spin and spin and spin, but there's no dodging the fact that these guys weren't going anywhere anytime soon. There was no rush to scoop them up. Signing them on October 21st is difficult to explain as a good thing in any logical way.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lol
From Hawkeye report:

VbeachawkHR Heisman
I suspect Sibley was told his scholly was gone with the Murray twins commiting. I think Foster and/or OG are probably still a possibility for the Hawks.

Top 100, 4 star player got his scholarship offer pulled for two unrated, legacies.
I really, really wish that was true. It would be amazing if that's what actually happened.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Wow, this is already a train wreck.

I feel bad for the kids. It isn’t their fault Fran sucks.

If Prohm had added these two in the fall to a class of Walker, Blackwell, and Foster or Terry, we’d all be optimistic that Prohm is ahead of the curve. He has the coaching cred. But given it’s Fran, these kids will bear the burden of his failures.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

If Prohm had added these two in the fall to a class of Walker, Blackwell, and Foster or Terry, we’d all be optimistic that Prohm is ahead of the curve. He has the coaching cred. But given it’s Fran, these kids will bear the burden of his failures.

I can say with total confidence that even in that exact scenario I wouldn't be excited that we rounded out our class with two players that don't even have ratings... I would be pissed that we didn't hold the schollys to balance out future classes.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Imagine the meltdown over there if we end up adding Foster and Terry. FWIW I don't think we're getting Terry.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Agreed. Say what you want about the recruits ability and if they should be P5 or not....that should not take away that they deserve the excitement from getting offered a scholly and getting to play basketball at a school they want to.

Not the greatest situation when a whole lot of the "fans" consider them walk-on material.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I wouldn't be happy about signing these two in Oct, if they were May or June signings maybe but I'd probably still rather hold at least one of the schollies for the next season, maybe a mid year guy. The other difference is, we'd have 3 quality recruits to mix with that class, we wouldn't be stuck with 4 no p6 offer kids for the next 4/5 years. For a program like Iowa, class balance is important, having a large class full of kids like this will hamper the program for years. Especially because we know Fran will play them, no matter what.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Not the greatest situation when a whole lot of the "fans" consider them walk-on material.

Yeah I can get why Iowa fans not too excited about this one. If it were Prohm I'd probably just have a wait and see attitude.

However much more fun when we get news about guys like Wigginton/THT committing or Bolton transferring ect.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Twitter and social media in general....sucks IMO.
Not necessarily. Iowa for a long time has been a PR train wreck. This isn't a troll or a dig on Iowa, that's just the truth.
Social media can be great for instance when ISU is at the B12 basketball tourney.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I get that they've put on weight since last year. However, if simply putting on weight was the issue, Drake or UNI would have offered them. They didn't.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and 1UNI2ISU

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Agreed. Say what you want about the recruits ability and if they should be P5 or not....that should not take away that they deserve the excitement from getting offered a scholly and getting to play basketball at a school they want to.
And part of that is on the fans. Want better players and a better atmosphere? GO TO THE GAMES. You shouldn't have to give away seats to even ISU@Iowa, Mich St@Iowa. That's really bad.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I've never seen the kids play so I have no analysis on that. I will echo what other have said though, I've met them and they seem like good kids. Hopefully Hawk fans don't do what they normally do, which is be ridiculous d-bags to players that don't play up to their expectations.