****Official Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread****

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Guess I don't see what these two committing have anything to do with the perception of Foster's decision. If they need more scholarships wouldn't they just put the McCaffery boy's on walk-on status? Nice luxury.
I might be mistaken but I thought the rules on that changed and once you are on scholarship you can't go to walk on status?

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Aclone and isu81

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I might be mistaken but I thought the rules on that changed and once you are on scholarship you can't go to walk on status?

it might be that you can't force someone to go to walk on status. But I don't think they can stop someone from voluntarily giving it up.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Guess I don't see what these two committing have anything to do with the perception of Foster's decision. If they need more scholarships wouldn't they just put the McCaffery boy's on walk-on status? Nice luxury.
Are these kids good enough to take your own sons off scholarship like that?

My guess no.

And if daddy took me off scholarship, I'd transfer.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

My guess no.

Why would you care if your dad took you off of scholarship? Unless of course your dad said he wasn't paying school. But you know Fran is paying so it really doesn't matter.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Thats some pretty shady stuff if true for a guy that all of the hok fans love for not “cheating”.

I wouldn't say it is shady if it is within the rules. But I would say it is dumb to move your kids off scholarship for kids that shouldn't be playing at a major conference level.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012

My guess no.

LOL. I doubt Patrick would worry about accepting a non-scholarship walk-on scenario if it meant fitting in Foster. Besides, just like us, they could assume possible attrition in the spring. Having said all that, hope Foster comes our way.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Technically it is possible but, why wouldn't Fran have already done that last year to open some spot (for a mid-major player)? I don't see that happening.
Besides, Fran has enough trouble trying to get playing time for 13 scholarship players, imagine the combos if he need to get 15 players into the game. (and XF response if he is losing minutes to anyone especially 3 star players)

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Why would you care if your dad took you off of scholarship? Unless of course your dad said he wasn't paying school. But you know Fran is paying so it really doesn't matter.
It's a pride thing, especially my schollie getting yanked for NOBODIES. Foster and Sibley, sure Dad, sign them up. But nobodies? nah. I earned this.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don’t understand the rush timings on all of the Iowa commits. Iowa shows interest on Day 1. Officials on Day 5. Commits on Day 6. All the exact same pattern. It’s not how recruiting usually works at the P6 level.

it’s how things work when you are recruiting players several levels below you.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don’t understand the rush timings on all of the Iowa commits. Iowa shows interest on Day 1. Officials on Day 5. Commits on Day 6. All the exact same pattern. It’s not how recruiting usually works at the P6 level.

Every summer Iowa has these 4 and 5 star kids lined up for unofficial/official visits. Nothing seems to come of them. So you have to grab who you can when you can at this point in the process.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I was thinking the exact same thing. It's really strange.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Every summer Iowa has these 4 and 5 star kids lined up for unofficial/official visits. Nothing seems to come of them. So you have to grab who you can when you can at this point in the process.

Grab who you can?

These guys weren't going anywhere, they could get them next summer.