Minnesota beats ISU (secret scrimmage)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
*Nobody at ISU. It happens at other schools more frequently than people think. Iowa just redshirted two guys last year. Baylor has had some success with it. If you think a guy is going to contribute for you in his career, I don’t see why a redshirt doesn’t make sense if somebody isn’t quite ready. I don’t even know why I’m making an argument though for it because I know how people view the redshirt debate.

Citing Iowa kinda hurts your case. :rolleyes:

If a kid redshirts and decides to transfer later, as many do these days, they have wasted/lost a full year of eligibility. It ain't 1990 anymore. Redshirts are for more marginal players. He's already 20 years old, not sure he would be interested in sitting for a second year in his last four.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

If a kid redshirts and decides to transfer later, as many do these days, they have wasted/lost a full year of eligibility. It ain't 1990 anymore. Redshirts are for more marginal players. He's already 20 years old, not sure he would be interested in sitting for a second year in his last four.

I thought the same thing about using Iowa as an example. Not exactly selling his point.

I'll also add that the kid has to agree to be redshirted. Often players are pretty darn sure that they are going to earn their spot to play and don't want to redshirt. And, as far as Iowa State is concerned, there have been a lot of early season injuries in the past several years which has caused players that might want to redshirt to be put into action.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I thought the same thing about using Iowa as an example. Not exactly selling his point.

I'll also add that the kid has to agree to be redshirted. Often players are pretty darn sure that they are going to earn their spot to play and don't want to redshirt. And, as far as Iowa State is concerned, there have been a lot of early season injuries in the past several years which has caused players that might want to redshirt to be put into action.

I have total no call or might be able to answer this but when is the last time a significant player redshirted at ISU? For the coaches, they have enough roster spots held down by sit-out transfers without adding additional roster guys who won't play either.

Redshirt Halliburton (he so skinny!) was all the rage preseason last year on CF. It's an annual thing on CF.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames

If CJ Fedrick or Jack Nunge have a good year, maybe redshirting them worked. It’s too early to know. I wasn’t even alive in 1990 so I’m not sure that’s relevant here as how would I use the old days as a reference or example when I didnt know things were done that way back then? If Leech doesn’t want to redshirt than I don’t want him to be redshirted. I just think it’s strange how against it people are. If Leech doesn’t redshirt and then has 3 good years to follow it, I’m sure people will wish he had redshirted as a freshman so he’d have a 4th year to play. I think wasting the year of a talented player who probably isn’t ready to play in year 1 is just pointless. The NCAA should just come up with a new rule that if you redshirt a freshman and they end up transferring in the future, they can still sit out a year without losing a year of eligibility. That’s the biggest reason why nobody really redshirts anymore.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If CJ Fedrick or Jack Nunge have a good year, maybe redshirting them worked. It’s too early to know. I wasn’t even alive in 1990 so I’m not sure that’s relevant here as how would I use the old days as a reference or example when I didnt know things were done that way back then? If Leech doesn’t want to redshirt than I don’t want him to be redshirted. I just think it’s strange how against it people are. If Leech doesn’t redshirt and then has 3 good years to follow it, I’m sure people will wish he had redshirted as a freshman so he’d have a 4th year to play. I think wasting the year of a talented player who probably isn’t ready to play in year 1 is just pointless. The NCAA should just come up with a new rule that if you redshirt a freshman and they end up transferring in the future, they can still sit out a year without losing a year of eligibility. That’s the biggest reason why nobody really redshirts anymore.

Is anyone against it? I'd be happy if he redshirted. But I don't think he will. That doesn't mean I'm against it.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I am not necessary against it. Just saying it's pretty unusual these days. I'd personally wait to actually see him play in some actual exhibition games before taking a position. We have a whole slew of players noboby on CF has seen play in a real game and summer league ain't real games.

We did had two players redshirt in WBB after looking like they might be able to play some (after playing in exhibition). Odd for WBB but both would have been behind a unusually deep roster. We usually don't even fill all of the scholarships in WBB, let alone have a dozen players possibly capable of playing Big 12 ball so it was a totes outlier.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Is anyone against it? I'd be happy if he redshirted. But I don't think he will. That doesn't mean I'm against it.
That’s a good point. I don’t think anyone is against Leech redshirting but I do think people are against the discussion of it because it’s super rare to redshirt players now and it’s probably a pointless debate because the odds of Leech redshirting are extremely low.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That’s a good point. I don’t think anyone is against Leech redshirting but I do think people are against the discussion of it because it’s super rare to redshirt players now and it’s probably a pointless debate because the odds of Leech redshirting are extremely low.

Right. But why be mad because people don't want to discuss what they don't think is going to happen?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Dang that shooting % was rough today. I think I'll burn my tickets:rolleyes:.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Right. But why be mad because people don't want to discuss what they don't think is going to happen?
I honestly just forgot about how people viewed the topic before I made the original comment that Leech should redshirt. I think players view redshirting as a slap in the face that people don’t think they’re good enough to play right away. I need to be careful about how vocal I am about wanting Leech to redshirt because he follows me on Twitter and I don’t want to seem like I’m disrespecting his ability. I am personally a fan of redshirting for high upside freshman that probably won’t play in their first season but I know that everyone doesn’t have the same opinion on that and I respect that so I’ll do my best in the future to not bring it up as a conversation.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I honestly just forgot about how people viewed the topic before I made the original comment that Leech should redshirt. I think players view redshirting as a slap in the face that people don’t think they’re good enough to play right away. I need to be careful about how vocal I am about wanting Leech to redshirt because he follows me on Twitter and I don’t want to seem like I’m disrespecting his ability. I am personally a fan of redshirting for high upside freshman that probably won’t play in their first season but I know that everyone doesn’t have the same opinion on that and I respect that so I’ll do my best in the future to not bring it up as a conversation.

No reason not to bring it up. I just think you are kind of defensive about it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
next coach will inherit a clean program with talent
its fine :)
it could be worse
for the record i think it was worth a try

Not even basketball season yet and you're already back to the anti-Prohm drunk/stroke rehab haiku.
Go cheer for Nebraska.

• Agree

Help Support Us

Become a patron