Toughest football rebuild of p5 teams?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Which team would be toughest to rebuild? I think id go with rutgers. No history, brutal schedule every. Kansas and oregon st a close second with indiana and vandy right there.

Thoughts?

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
I would say Oregon State. Rutgers has no recent history, but at least they're in an area with good recruits with New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania. Kansas still has Kansas City, hell they're getting decent recruits now. Oregon State has to compete with Oregon/Nike, and any notable west coast player would rather go to USC/Stanford/Washington.

I do think* all colleges have a chance for success, just see it harder for OSU than others.

Last edited:

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I’d have to see what these school have for facilities. If they don’t have good ones in place or any plans to build any and the existing ones are terrible then no coach will have a quick rebuild.

ISU with their facilities and fan support provided a perfect storm for a coach like CMC. He was the last piece of the puzzle.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hear me out on this, Nebraska

If we go with expectations, it has to be them. They will be unhappy unless they are in a title game. 10-3 will not cut it with them. They lost their advantages of the past and now even playing in one of the softest divisions in CFB, they can’t get any traction.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Which team would be toughest to rebuild? I think id go with rutgers. No history, brutal schedule every. Kansas and oregon st a close second with indiana and vandy right there.

Thoughts?

It may not be meaningful history filled with big success and exposure, but Rutgers does have an interesting historical fun fact: It hosted and played in the first game of intercollegiate football vs Princeton and won.

Not going to reel in big recruits with that one, but kind of a neat piece they should (and probably do?) feature in some way.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Hear me out on this, Nebraska

If we go with expectations, it has to be them. They will be unhappy unless they are in a title game. 10-3 will not cut it with them. They lost their advantages of the past and now even playing in one of the softest divisions in CFB, they can’t get any traction.

I guess the question depends on the definition of a rebuild. I would say it will be easier for nebraska to get to 10 wins than it will be for rutgers or oregon st to get to 7. The b1g west is a damn joke year in and year out.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Rutgers. They have no money to spend on anything and their budget is a disaster. I'm actually surprised they fired Ash and could pay him.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I say between Kansas and Rutgers. I don't know what Rutgers has for Facilities but Kansas has down right bad stuff. I hear they may be redoing the stadium. Which would help since it's a horrible stadium.

BTW the thread title says Rebuild. Kansas, Oregon State, Rutgers, and Indiana have never been built.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I guess the question depends on the definition of a rebuild. I would say it will be easier for nebraska to get to 10 wins than it will be for rutgers or oregon st to get to 7.

Agree with that, but I believe Rutgers will be happy at 7-6 type season, even 6-7 with a bowl loss. A 10 win season at Nebraska will get a coach fired possibly.

if it is just who to build to 9-10 wins, NU will be easier, if to build to expectations, NU is harder.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It’s already been done - Kansas State, 1989.

Amazing turnaround but they had a few tangibles. For one, at the time you could schedule 4 cupcakes in the non conf. Second, when the Big 12 came around, they didn't have to play TX/OU every year. 3rd...Jucos man..Jucos

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I guess it depends on how you want to define rebuild. If we're limiting the conversation to just bad teams then I think it's a two horse race between KU and Rutgers, and the determining factor is fan support or lack thereof. Even a coach was to come in and turn the program around, nobody cares. Rutgers is a college program in a pro football market. KU is a basketball school.

But if you're extending the conversation to include programs that used to be elite and have fallen off, then Nebby has to be right there. It's a no-win position for a coach. The fanbase and administration have unrealistic standards and winning nine or ten games a season could be just good enough to get you run off after a few years.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would have to go with Kansas, because they play in the toughest conference. Maybe throw Arkansas in the hat as well. Rutgers is a tough job, but they play in a cup cake conference. Same with Oregon State.
Haver you seen Rutgers schedule every year? They are fu^&ed.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I say between Kansas and Rutgers. I don't know what Rutgers has for Facilities but Kansas has down right bad stuff. I hear they may be redoing the stadium. Which would help since it's a horrible stadium.

BTW the thread title says Rebuild. Kansas, Oregon State, Rutgers, and Indiana have never been built.

Glass houses and all. Rutgers is down and the future looks bleak, but they went to 9 bowl games in 10 years prior to the last 4. They've also had an 11 win season. We've done neither.