Arkansas will likely go 0-8 in SEC

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I realize the big 12 has a better tv deal but the conference only exists because Texas didn't bail out.

They didn't and UT and OU won't bail until a broader, more drastic realignment occurs. They get to call the shots and make more than they would in the PAC or ACC. Not sure they even make more money in the SEC and Big 10 all things considered.

It was tenuous but its not now. As a result the Big12 is doing much better than the PAC and better than the ACC. In CFB the PAC is a joke and everyone knows it Everyone knows the ACC is Clemson and a bunch of dog crap.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I realize the big 12 has a better tv deal but the conference only exists because Texas didn't bail out.

Lol, you’re such a Nebraska goober. The ACC only exists because Clemson hired Dabo, and the Pac 12 because no one wants to poach far away afterthoughts.

Every conference is largely only as good and stable as its top dog.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Lol, you’re such a Nebraska goober. The ACC only exists because Clemson hired Dabo, and the Pac 12 because no one wants to poach far away afterthoughts.

Every conference is largely only as good and stable as its top dog.

Outside of Clemson, ACC is trash this year. That conference is supported by Clemson and Florida St, but FSU is having a moment after losing Jimbo.

PAC doesn't appear supported by anyone. ESPN is clinging to the hope that Oregon won't lose again so that they can put them in the conversation.

Back when the Big12 didn't expand or extend the grant of rights, I thought we were in trouble. Not anymore! Texas and OU are making bank and I see no reason why either one would want to leave. As long as we have those two, we have a power conference.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fayetteville + The Walton’s also adds to the appeal.
Also don't forget a certain millionaire NFL owner with a franchise in the heart of Big 12 country who just happened to captain an Arkansas national championship football team.
23f6987e2a648485622763a26543e452.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Also don't forget a certain millionaire NFL owner with a franchise in the heart of Big 12 country who just happened to captain an Arkansas national championship football team.
23f6987e2a648485622763a26543e452.jpg

NFL owners are pretty much billionaires by definition.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I wish we could kick out Baylor and WVU. WVU just makes no sense being way out there.

This is where I fire up the old PS3 and NCAA Football and boot Baylor to the Sunbelt and WVU over to the ACC. All is just in a pre-Ed O-Bannon NCAA football world!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
A couple bad hires in a row will kill ya, they had a pretty good run with Houston Nutt and Petrino but the recruiting controversy that drove Nutt out might still have a lingering impact. He was tip toeing the rules, that might have been the only way they could compete in the SEC.

The biggest problem was the AD's moronic decision to hire an interim head coach when Petrino was fired. That not only cost them the current recruiting class that Petrino was working on, but also cost them next year's. What recruit in their right mind wants to sign on with a coach with interim in front of his name? It didn't help that interim coach John L. Smith went 4-8 that year with a Petrino team that was expected to compete for the SEC West title. That cost them even more recruits. They are still recovering from that fiasco. Not many teams can afford to basically lose 2 recruiting classes in a row. That decision eventually was one of the blunders that cost AD Long his job and he's now at Kansas. They can have him.

Subsequent idiotic coaching hires haven't helped. Bielema (a Long hire) came in with the idea to out-Alabama Alabama, employing a strategy that depended on establishing a dominant OL, a dynamic run game and a stout defense, a strategy that worked well in the Big 10, that he could never quite pull off in the SEC. He should have done just the opposite and employed a spread offense, like Petrino did, but he didn't know how. And this idiot they have now looks confused on the sidelines all the time. I don't see how a guy can come in professing to have the answers and look so confused.

The current AD was pissed as hell during the Kentucky game. He cut across the field while the game was still going on (could have drawn a flag for that) and stormed into the locker room, he was so upset. Their current coach had no answer for a third-string QB, who wasn't even a QB, but a converted WR who rushed for nearly 200 yards against them. He never adjusted during the game, and in fact knew beforehand that the WR was a good possibility to start at QB because the original starter was injured before the season started and the backup was injured the week before. He never game planned for the WR to run the offense, never employed a "spy" to shadow the WR, and never adjusted the whole game.

The result of the game also caused one of their prized recruits for next year to decommit, following another highly regarded recruit who decommited.

• Informative
Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
The biggest problem was the AD's moronic decision to hire an interim head coach when Petrino was fired. That not only cost them the current recruiting class that Petrino was working on, but also cost them next year's. What recruit in their right mind wants to sign on with a coach with interim in front of his name? It didn't help that interim coach John L. Smith went 4-8 that year with a Petrino team that was expected to compete for the SEC West title. That cost them even more recruits. They are still recovering from that fiasco. Not many teams can afford to basically lose 2 recruiting classes in a row. That decision eventually was one of the blunders that cost AD Long his job and he's now at Kansas. They can have him.

Subsequent idiotic coaching hires haven't helped. Bielema (a Long hire) came in with the idea to out-Alabama Alabama, employing a strategy that depended on establishing a dominant OL, a dynamic run game and a stout defense, a strategy that worked well in the Big 10, that he could never quite pull off in the SEC. He should have done just the opposite and employed a spread offense, like Petrino did, but he didn't know how. And this idiot they have now looks confused on the sidelines all the time. I don't see how a guy can come in professing to have the answers and look so confused.

The current AD was pissed as hell during the Kentucky game. He cut across the field while the game was still going on (could have drawn a flag for that) and stormed into the locker room, he was so upset. Their current coach had no answer for a third-string QB, who wasn't even a QB, but a converted WR who rushed for nearly 200 yards against them. He never adjusted during the game, and in fact knew beforehand that the WR was a good possibility to start at QB because the original starter was injured before the season started and the backup was injured the week before. He never game planned for the WR to run the offense, never employed a "spy" to shadow the WR, and never adjusted the whole game.

The result of the game also caused one of their prized recruits for next year to decommit, following another highly regarded recruit who decommited.
this is some great insight. Do you follow the hogs or just watch a ton of cfb?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

UT and OU did not bail, as you say, because they have a better deal in the Big 12, than they could get anywhere else, and that is why they both will stay.

In the Big 12, they are in the middle of the footprint, the Big Dog schools that get to call their shoots, they run the conference. Leave and your travel increases, and none of the other Big Dogs in the other conferences are going to bow down to either one.

The money is keeping both schools in the top 10, Texas lead the whole thing, they both have a clear path to the final four in football, why would they leave all of that to put up with Ohio St, and Michigan or Alabama and LSU?

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Would Texas, Tech, and TCU (who you meant) really quash it, though? When the Big 12 was being formed in the mid ‘90s Texas, A&M, and Tech didn’t even want Baylor (I think it was TCU they wanted back then). The problem was the governor at the time was a Baylor grad and wouldn’t sign off on the other three schools founding the Big 12 unless Baylor was part of it. That’s why, even after several scandals involving murder cover-ups and rapes we’re still stuck with them.

BYU was the rumored 12th team at that time. The pull for Baylor wasn't just Gov Richards, her Lt Gov was the main force behind them. He was also a Baylor grad and so were a lot of Texas politicians at that time.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm force fed more Hog than I care to consume. I live in Arkansas.

I know what you're going through as I lived there for ten years. With Hawg fans believing they are a blue blood it must be interesting times in WhooPigSooie land.