Lincoln coach to face possible charges for yelling

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I’m sure you have a personal vendetta against Dowling like most seem to have. It was a 20 point game early in the 2nd quarter when it happened, so while clearly on the verge of a blowout, you can’t just tell kids to stop playing hard (you shouldn’t ever tell a kid not to play hard) with that much time left. Does Scates getting into it with the TCU player and them basically throwing punches at each other reflect poorly on Campbell and Patterson? The Dowling kid made a mistake, and it’s a joke that a penalty wasn’t called, but saying it reflects poorly on Dowling coaches is laughable. Unless you’re going to say every targeting penalty in football reflects poorly on coaches

What Scates did doesn't have the potential to paralyze someone.

All I know is that when I played football (and this was a while back) our coaches put the fear of God in us about leading with our heads. It was emphasized every day. If you did it in practice you sat out and got your *** reamed. You did it in a game, same thing. It was emphasized for everyone's safety.

That tackle was literally the video you'd show kids on how not to tackle.

Also, I don't think you can discount the blowout factor. I understand football is a high speed game and sometimes proper form gets lost due to the speed of play. But that was not this game and not this play. Watch the video, the kid clearly was trying to show the other kid up with a big, dangerous hit, in the middle of a game that was over before it began. It was unnecessary.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Did you purposely ignore where I said the kid made a mistake or just leaving that out to try to make it look like I'm saying something I'm not? The post I was replying to said the Dowling kid shouldn't have been making a hit like that in a blowout (like that matters, should never be making a hit like that ever). But I can say with 100% certainty that the Dowling coaches don't coach their players to hit like that and also doubt they were conspiring to knock the kid out of the game.

QB was rolling out based on the video the defender chasing needed to make an intentional effort to launch a helmet to helmet blow.

I think a lot of people are wrong here. I've been in that coach's situation and understand how his emotions over came him. Not by any means saying what he did was right but when you see an obvious attempt to injure one of your players let alone your kid you lash out at the incompetence. Missing a call happens missing a blatant attempt to injure an opponent in that situation is inexcusable yet still doesn't excuse the coach's actions. Resigning shows the coach is a decent man that lost his head in an extreme moment.

The thought of pressing charges for something said on a football field is a joke. So was Keating's statement and shows how out of touch with reality the IAHSAA is.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I would say that what Scates did does reflect poorly on Campbell. Players should not throw punches period. These are players that coaches recruited, so bad actions reflect on college coaches. Campbell needs to sit Scates this week for at least part of the game along with some punishment. Never an excuse to swing a punch in a game.

Scates did not throw a punch.

And I'd be extremely surprised if Scates sits this week considering he went back in the game the next offensive series after the scuffle happened. And it's not like he gets a lot of plays in non-blowout time so I am not sure what sitting him would accomplish.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
What Scates did doesn't have the potential to paralyze someone.

All I know is that when I played football (and this was a while back) our coaches put the fear of God in us about leading with our heads. It was emphasized every day. If you did it in practice you sat out and got your *** reamed. You did it in a game, same thing. It was emphasized for everyone's safety.

When IIIIII played football we were told to run around and hit someone as hard as we could. It was 8th grade and there was no tackle instruction. And if we didn't hit someone, the coaches had you do a tackle drill where everyone took turns tackling you. There was no "head up" initiative - it was hard ass coaches telling us to be men and hit the crap out of another person as hard and as fast as an 8th grader could.

That was the late 70s for me.

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
When IIIIII played football we were told to run around and hit someone as hard as we could. It was 8th grade and there was no tackle instruction. And if we didn't hit someone, the coaches had you do a tackle drill where everyone took turns tackling you. There was no "head up" initiative - it was hard ass coaches telling us to be men and hit the crap out of another person as hard and as fast as an 8th grader could.

We were told the same thing (run around and hit someone) but emphasized to not lead with your head - Hit, lift and drive, chest to chest/face to face and wrap up. mid 90's.

Reactions: wxman1

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
We were told the same thing (run around and hit someone) but emphasized to not lead with your head - Hit, lift and drive, chest to chest/face to face and wrap up. mid 90's.

I'm thinking the only tackle drill we did was to stand in front of a teammate, reach down below the waist with both hands then lift and drive. I guess I also remember trying to have your helmet in front of the guy on a tackle. It's likely I had very poor football coaching during my first (and only) year of contact football.

I do remember making 4 tackles that season. Mostly because I wasn't fast enough to get out of the way of the big, fast farm kids and their cleats would get caught up in the back of my jersey and they'd trip. I wasn't very good at football.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm thinking the only tackle drill we did was to stand in front of a teammate, reach down below the waist with both hands then lift and drive. I guess I also remember trying to have your helmet in front of the guy on a tackle. It's likely I had very poor football coaching during my first (and only) year of contact football.

I do remember making 4 tackles that season. Mostly because I wasn't fast enough to get out of the way of the big, fast farm kids and their cleats would get caught up in the back of my jersey and they'd trip. I wasn't very good at football.

We did a modified version of the "Oklahoma Drill", the best football drill ever.

the team formed a tunnel, 2 players laying on their backs 10 yards apart, coach drops the ball to one and blows the whistle, the 2 players meet in the middle with one hoping to tackle and the other hoping to score.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That was you? I thought I was tripping over the hash mark.

I was all about the YAC after first contact... :)

I vaguely remember some RB stepping on my face and getting caught in my face mask and him getting a flag. It kinda sounds like I had the world's worst "make a wish" dream.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I was all about the YAC after first contact... :)

I vaguely remember some RB stepping on my face and getting caught in my face mask and him getting a flag. It kinda sounds like I had the world's worst "make a wish" dream.
Do you remember what color the laundry was? Could have been the coach throwing a towel. Why am I laughing so hard?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Actually having called a game more than a handful of times it was incredibly efficient. Particularly if you had a good working relationship with the other ref. While it isn't ideal it is not nearly as hard as you may think.
I guess maybe I shouldn't then give them the benefit of the doubt then. Many teams totally give up on the offsides trap in high school ball because it is so often missed in this format and giving up one gift goal can so often be the difference in the game. At least with 2 dedicated ARs you have a reasonable chance that it will be called correctly.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I guess maybe I shouldn't then give them the benefit of the doubt then. Many teams totally give up on the offsides trap in high school ball because it is so often missed in this format and giving up one gift goal can so often be the difference in the game. At least with 2 dedicated ARs you have a reasonable chance that it will be called correctly.
I understand. It is a unique system. If not worked on regularly it can be brutal.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
And?

Whether you believe in the impartiality or not what's the alternative? No officials? Seems that would result in no games.

I think for every game ever played, there should be a raffle where 2 parents at random are chosen from the audience and are required to join the officiating crew on the field for the entire game.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Looks like Lincoln’s QB played the entire game this past Friday night. Then again that’s not really newsworthy since he came back in the very next series after the Dowling kid got away with attempted murder

• Funny
  • Dumb
Reactions: 06_CY and IASTATE07

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

Total opposite of my experience in the early 80s. Tackling technique, keeping your head up and not spearing heavy emphasis from day 1

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
The hit was dirty no doubt, the kid should be suspended.

A couple of thoughts about this.....

Are kids not taught fundamental tackling these days? Its been 25 years since I played high school football and I remember being taught how to tackle correctly at a young age. Now these kids are just running up and launching instead of trying to wrap up, not only is it dangerous, but how many missed tackles are there now because a kid just thinks going up and running into somebody is going to bring everyone down.

Why is Dowling still playing Des Moines schools? Yeah, must be fun when you have a bunch of entitled recruits going up against Hoover and North who barely have enough players to field a team.

Haven't read through the whole thread yet to see if somebody already responded, but Dowling is not "still" playing DM schools. That is actually a very recent change. The IAHSAA forced districts on class 4A in 2014 which ruined the competitive balance of 4A football. The three CIML conferences had as much parity within individual divisions as was possible, and the MAC and MVC were also internally competitive every year. Prior to 2014 Dowling would play a CIML Metro school about once per season, and now must play Lincoln, Hoover, and North in district play. Metro schools were competitive with each other, and they should be upset more about district scheduling causing blowouts than things like wanting to go to 3A because they can't field competitive teams.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Scates did not throw a punch.

And I'd be extremely surprised if Scates sits this week considering he went back in the game the next offensive series after the scuffle happened. And it's not like he gets a lot of plays in non-blowout time so I am not sure what sitting him would accomplish.

This isn’t on the topic of the thread but I liked how Scates came up behind Campbell and gave him a hug. Shows the respect and love he has for his coach

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron