MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Girardi is not my first choice but I would not be against hiring him if that is who they go with. Just not sure he is the right fit for this roster. I don't see this being a quick process either as I would guess at least 1 or more possible candidates could be on a staff of a team currently in the playoffs.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Weird. Bet some people didn’t have the Nationals and Cardinals as top 5 teams in the MLB but they’re in the final 4!

So upsets never happen?

remember when you said the cubs were a top 5 team and would make the playoffs easily?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...baez-schwarber-russell-contreras-almora-ryan/

Initial pre-arbitration projections are out:
  • Kris Bryant – $18.5M (3rd of 4 arbitration years) ($12.9M in 2019)
  • Javier Baez – $9.3M (2nd of 3 arbitration years) ($5.2M in 2019)
  • Kyle Schwarber – $8.0M (2nd of 3 arbitration years) ($3.39M in 2019)
  • Addison Russell – $5.1M (3rd of 4 arbitration years) ($3.7M in 2019)
  • Willson Contreras – $4.5M (1st of 3 arbitration years) (pre-arb in 2019)
  • Albert Almora – $1.8M (1st of 3 arbitration years) (pre-arb in 2019)
  • Kyle Ryan – $1.1M (1st of 4 arbitration years) (pre-arb in 2019)
Unless they are confident they can flip Russell in a trade may be worth it to non-tender him and just cuts ties with him at this point. $5 mil could get you a much needed middle reliever. The rest you may as well tender contracts to regardless what the plans are with them. Almora at $1.8 and team control isn't going to make him untradeable and you probably can't go out and sign a veteran bench OF any cheaper either.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yes but non-tendering him, I think, would be silly, since I’m sure there is some team out there willing to take him for $5.1. Might as well get something in a trade.
He was the worst hitter in baseball not so sure about that.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yes but non-tendering him, I think, would be silly, since I’m sure there is some team out there willing to take him for $5.1. Might as well get something in a trade.

At this point what are they really going to get for him other than some low level prospects possibly? He has a lot of baggage and honestly hasn't really developed in the player they thought he could be. They can try to trade him pre-arbitration too and let another team tender him a contract. I'm to the point with him that if you can't trade him prior to the deadline to tender him a contract you cut bait with him. If you can't get anything of value for him by then you sure won't get anything more when he has a $5 mil price tag that comes with him.

He needs a change of scenery one way or another

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
He was the worst hitter in baseball not so sure about that.

He was terrible, sure, but I think some teams would be willing to bite the bullet for a relatively cheap 26 year old in their control for 2 years in hopes he can return to his 2016-2017 campaign. Not excusing his character but I’m sure the Cubs can argue his off the field issues in 2018 and 19 kept him from playing at the 16-17 level.

I could easily see teams such as the Mets, Marlins, Rangers, Angels, Orioles and Red Sox expressing some interest. Teams who have a middle infield need but aren’t going to break the bank to get one.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
At this point what are they really going to get for him other than some low level prospects possibly? He has a lot of baggage and honestly hasn't really developed in the player they thought he could be. They can try to trade him pre-arbitration too and let another team tender him a contract. I'm to the point with him that if you can't trade him prior to the deadline to tender him a contract you cut bait with him. If you can't get anything of value for him by then you sure won't get anything more when he has a $5 mil price tag that comes with him.

He needs a change of scenery one way or another

I could also see a pre-arb deal.

Bottom line, from a pure business aspect, I wouldn’t just let any guy just walk, especially one that has the youthful resume Russell has. Sure, he has a TON of baggage, but there are certainly teams outside of Chicago that find some value in him.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I could also see a pre-arb deal.

Bottom line, from a pure business aspect, I wouldn’t just let any guy just walk, especially one that has the youthful resume Russell has. Sure, he has a TON of baggage, but there are certainly teams outside of Chicago that find some value in him.

I'm in the boat that if the Cubs can't find a taker for him before the deadline to tender a contract then there isn't much of a market for him and it's not worth being on the hook for a $5 mil contract that could be better spent towards filling some other needs like pitching or either signing or trading for a OF or 2B that can help this offense.

The Cubs time and time again hold onto guys too long thinking maybe this is the season the light comes on and the finally get the player they thought they had and I'm perfectly OK if they wind up having to non-tender Russell and he winds up turning into that player for another team because I'm not sure given his past that he'll be able to do that within the culture the Cubs have. I'm also not against cashing in on Schwarber this offseason too now that he finally reclaimed some of the trade value he lost. If someone offers them a good deal they should not hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal and move on as they need to clear some roster spaces if they ever want to fix this offense within the window they have right now with their core group of players.

I think it's less likely that Bryant gets traded but they'd be nuts not to at least listen to offers for him if it means bringing back a big haul of talent because I think it's not likely they are able to resign him once hit hits the free agent market. If you want to talk about getting nothing for letting a player walk here is the guy you should be more concerned about than Russell as Bryant would bring back a haul of talent that you'll never come remotely close to with trading Russell.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUCubswin

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
So, got a call from the Cubs on Friday and looks like I'm far enough up the wait list to buy season tickets for next year.

I'm 5 hours away, can't make more than 10ish games. So the question is, anybody have any knowledge or any experience with selling the rest of them and at least breaking even?

Not sure I'm going to do it but if it's feasible it might be worth a go just so that I've got guaranteed postseason tickets.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I don’t care if they get anything for him, Russell needs to be gone.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I know you guys don’t like Kaplan but he’s switched his prediction from Girardi to David Ross.

Wittenmeyer made it sound like it's down to Ross and Espada. I can't say I'd be upset either way, but I really like the idea of poaching from the Astros.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron