Lincoln coach to face possible charges for yelling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
After seeing the video again for like 20+ times today on TV after the ex-coach was booked this morning, the Dowling kid looks like he is on a seek and destroy mission. Never even brings his hands up and leads with his head. Reminds of the scene in "Karate Kid", Sweep the Leg!! I have already mentioned it on here my thoughts on Dowling, so I will leave it at that.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Oh please.......put down your violin and stop with the "walk a mile in my shoes" medley.

Some people say "I'm going to kill you" but it's in the heat of passion. Others say "I'm going to kill you" and mean it. While I think there is a difference, I sure don't want to be the one to make the wrong call and let it pass.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It won’t go to court. He will plead out.

Very true.

Like ALL good stories with angles, lots of chatter....always hope some "good" comes of it (discussions about how folks rep themselves, consequences, needs for HS players/officials, etc)....but, unfortunately, a lot of people can get VERY nasty in whatever perspective they take.

spons46

Aug 19, 2013
A lot of mistakes here. Bad on the ref, bad on the coach.

To those that can't believe how this got missed, sign up and ref a game. For everything you see, you miss 10. Not saying you can't have a say, but you will understand how 'obvious' things are missed. As to the mechanics, the white hat in a 5 man crew is the only one who should have seen this, maybe the wing official, but he should have eyes downfield on receivers/dbs. You can see that the R was behind the quarterback and therefor probably could not see the illegal helmet contact even if he was looking for it. Also he was moving, good officials hustle to their spots and stop to watch as critical plays happen because you see more when you are stationary. Our crew talked and all 5 of us had a 15 yard penalty with no ejection after seeing the replay.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I just read online that Lincoln had 17 penalties called on them and Dowling had zero. Hearing this was after around the 16th on Lincoln. Which if the kid is clearly head hunting and they still throw no flag. That is straight up refs ignoring it. No way, even though Dowling is way better, that not one Dowling kid comitted a penalty. Then this happens and it's clear to everyone. Yeah something stinks about the ref in this situation.

Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo
A lot of mistakes here. Bad on the ref, bad on the coach.

To those that can't believe how this got missed, sign up and ref a game. For everything you see, you miss 10. Not saying you can't have a say, but you will understand how 'obvious' things are missed. As to the mechanics, the white hat in a 5 man crew is the only one who should have seen this, maybe the wing official, but he should have eyes downfield on receivers/dbs. You can see that the R was behind the quarterback and therefor probably could not see the illegal helmet contact even if he was looking for it. Also he was moving, good officials hustle to their spots and stop to watch as critical plays happen because you see more when you are stationary. Our crew talked and all 5 of us had a 15 yard penalty with no ejection after seeing the replay.

I agree, 15 yard penalty with no ejection based on the high school rule. If our crew were to have an ejection on this play, the ejected team's coach would blow up over it, guaranteed.

We called a helmet to helmet on a defender in a varsity game last week and the coach blew up over the penalty...........

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I just read online that Lincoln had 17 penalties called on them and Dowling had zero. Hearing this was after around the 16th on Lincoln. Which if the kid is clearly head hunting and they still throw no flag. That is straight up refs ignoring it. No way, even though Dowling is way better, that not one Dowling kid comitted a penalty. Then this happens and it's clear to everyone. Yeah something stinks about the ref in this situation.
No chance that is correct. It was early in the 2nd quarter. The game can be watched here to check (about 1:13:30 in video):

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I think this definitely should have been a personal foul, but to demand this official be punished for some egregious oversight is over the top IMO. It certainly doesn't excuse someone threatening to kill him.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
No chance that is correct. It was early in the 2nd quarter. The game can be watched here to check (about 1:13:30 in video):

Knownothing wrong about something? This thread got a little more interesting.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

This is where the problem is. This is where the complaints about officiating come from. There are questions on whether charges should have been filed but everyone said the coach went to far. The IHSAA is going to defend this official by pleading it is a private personal matter. There is no accountability.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007

This is where the problem is. This is where the complaints about officiating come from. There are questions on whether charges should have been filed but everyone said the coach went to far. The IHSAA is going to defend this official by pleading it is a private personal matter. There is no accountability.

What would you like to hear? Should all calls like this be discussed in the media?

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo

Keep in mind that the IAHSAA also represents coaches. In fact, when they send out occasional emails during the season discussing matters of interest to both coaches and officials (rules interpretations, stat keeping, weather delay procedures, etc.), they send it to both groups via the same email. They aren't commenting on the coach either.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
What would you like to hear? Should all calls like this be discussed in the media?
I don’t have a great answer here for high school because there isn’t necessarily the replay. College and pro absolutely these calls need to be addressed.

For this particular situation it is absolutely punting and defending the official. You have to respond with the media focus on it. Listening to the director on Murph and Andy he is proving they don’t want an open process for officiating. I’ve said before officiating policing etc rely on the faith of the general public. If there is no confidence in officiating you will see sports go the way of boxing and the calls of rigged fights.

Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo
I don’t have a great answer here for high school because there isn’t necessarily the replay. College and pro absolutely these calls need to be addressed.

For this particular situation it is absolutely punting and defending the official. You have to respond with the media focus on it. Listening to the director on Murph and Andy he is proving they don’t want an open process for officiating. I’ve said before officiating policing etc rely on the faith of the general public. If there is no confidence in officiating you will see sports go the way of boxing and the calls of rigged fights.

Did you also hear him say that they won't comment on the actions of the coach? He won't even comment that saying "f-ing kill him" is a problem. So to say the IAHSAA just punts and defends the official, you didn't listen very well. They are punting on the whole situation.

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

So the ref missed the call. OK. I'd like to know what practice drills are emphasized at Dowling, as this was an attempt to injure IMO. Put some of the blame on Coach Wilson and staff. What are they coaching?

• Winner
Reactions: cycloner29

iSUCylones

Mar 5, 2012
Des Moines

The IHSAA neither defended nor exonerated the referee. After watching the Dowling feed, I would probably change my position to targeting with no ejection. Each angle is a different story. The referee on the field only got one chance to see the play from a different angle and either missed the call or made a judgement call that it was not targeting. The fact is, the play is being reviewed by the IHSAA and the assignor, just not publicly before the social media mob. Just as with the Big 12 or any conference, a lot of disputes about individual plays are dealt with internally between the conference/association and the member schools. There is not a public apology every time a call is missed, sometimes it is just a private acknowledgement to the coach that a call was missed and everyone moves on to the next week without unnecessary public shaming

Reactions: brentblum

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So the ref missed the call. OK. I'd like to know what practice drills are emphasized at Dowling, as this was an attempt to injure IMO. Put some of the blame on Coach Wilson and staff. What are they coaching?

I totally agree with you. After the seeing this video again and watching the LB just drop back and circle around focused on the QB, he doesn't even attempt to wrap him up. He lowers his head and drives his helmet up into him, pretty just goes in and blows him up.

Like stated earlier, Dowling was by far the worst team on the visitor sideline that I ever had the displeasure of being on when I was on helping run the chains.

Reactions: NoCreativity