Lincoln coach to face possible charges for yelling

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Police report confirms “I am going to ******* kill you”.

• Friendly
Reactions: SpokaneCY

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Maybe he said I'm gonna strap on a helmet and launch myself head first at your skull.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Unfortunately this guy is closer to the rule as it relates to parents and their kid's sporting events than the exception. Never filed a police report but when everyone thinks their child is the next Aaron Rodgers/LeBron James/Steph Curry the things that get said are awful.

I have a great way of making officials accountable...cancel the games. If the coaches and parents can't handle it (there's the occasional player) without turning in Bob Knight or Lou Pinella maybe its time to reexamine everything.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Unfortunately this guy is closer to the rule as it relates to parents and their kid's sporting events than the exception. Never filed a police report but when everyone thinks their child is the next Aaron Rodgers/LeBron James/Steph Curry the things that get said are awful.

I have a great way of making officials accountable...cancel the games. If the coaches and parents can't handle it (there's the occasional player) without turning in Bob Knight or Lou Pinella maybe its time to reexamine everything.

The guy had an opposing player make a blatantly illegal and extremely dangerous hit on his player/son and you are going to compare him to those two? Yes he should not have said what he did but if we are going to take player safety serious those hits MUST be punished especially at that level. There was no intent anywhere in the play by the defender to make a clean tackle period.

I haven't kept up with the comments but the initial ones I read on news stories were that people would want him as their kids coach as he clearly cares about his players and their safety. Think about that.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The hit was dirty no doubt, the kid should be suspended.

A couple of thoughts about this.....

Are kids not taught fundamental tackling these days? Its been 25 years since I played high school football and I remember being taught how to tackle correctly at a young age. Now these kids are just running up and launching instead of trying to wrap up, not only is it dangerous, but how many missed tackles are there now because a kid just thinks going up and running into somebody is going to bring everyone down.

Why is Dowling still playing Des Moines schools? Yeah, must be fun when you have a bunch of entitled recruits going up against Hoover and North who barely have enough players to field a team.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

I have pulled the plug on a BB game before. I don't think this is about him thinking his kid was the next Johnny Unitas. And I don't understand why people keep muddying that issue with what is at hand. However...threatening the life of another individual is wrong and he should be arrested.

iSUCylones

Mar 5, 2012
Des Moines
Do people think it is ok for a coach to say "f****** kill him"? Regardless of penalty, are people defending this comment?

Appears so.

People are fine with an adult threatening to kill someone and having to be restrained to prevent him from doing anything, in front of the kids he is supposed to lead. Just sweep it under the rug because its the ref's fault for being human and missing a call. Its no big deal because the only person threatened was just a ref and because its "his job," he deserved it. That $100 paycheck totally entitles anyone to threaten to murder him. He just needs to toughen up because the coach is just defending his kids by showing them that when things don't go your way, its ok to threaten to kill another person.

Unreal...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I absolutely agree that saying this takes it way, way, way too far. I also would tend to think that resigning and publicly apologizing should suffice. I just can't see a need to make this a criminal matter. The guy was fired up, said something he undoubtedly shouldn't have said, but I can't imagine anyone involved ever thought he'd carry out his threat.

And yes, I realize this probably does fit the definition of Harassment 1, but I'd just like to think that they could work this out without the need for police and a prosecutor.

I think the best example they could set for the kids is to get the two of them together, have the coach offer an unconditional apology, discuss how you should never let your actions get away from you like that, and hopefully show the two of them are able to move on.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Appears so.

People are fine with an adult threatening to kill someone and having to be restrained to prevent him from doing anything, in front of the kids he is supposed to lead. Just sweep it under the rug because its the ref's fault for being human and missing a call. Its no big deal because the only person threatened was just a ref and because its "his job," he deserved it. That $100 paycheck totally entitles anyone to threaten to murder him. He just needs to toughen up because the coach is just defending his kids by showing them that when things don't go your way, its ok to threaten to kill another person.

Unreal...

Oh please.......put down your violin and stop with the "walk a mile in my shoes" medley.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The guy had an opposing player make a blatantly illegal and extremely dangerous hit on his player/son and you are going to compare him to those two? Yes he should not have said what he did but if we are going to take player safety serious those hits MUST be punished especially at that level. There was no intent anywhere in the play by the defender to make a clean tackle period.

I haven't kept up with the comments but the initial ones I read on news stories were that people would want him as their kids coach as he clearly cares about his players and their safety. Think about that.
It's never ok to threaten to kill someone. Ever. It's especially not ok over a ******* high school football game. The number of people normalizing this is shocking to me and shows how far we've fallen as a society. It's ok for a coach to threaten to kill an official for missing a penalty in a football game.

If people want to play the "safety" card then I expect outrage every time there's helmet to helmet contact. Your kid is the running back and lowers his head to try and truck someone? SAFETY ISSUE. Your kid is the safety diving with their helmet at the receiver's knee? SAFETY ISSUE.

The players have safety equipment on. If you aren't ok with the risks of your kid being hit then don't put your kid in the event. Threatening to kill an official for a helmet to helmet hit? Complete ridiculousness.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Do people think it is ok for a coach to say "f****** kill him"? Regardless of penalty, are people defending this comment?
No. He was punished by not being able to coach and he apologized. It was an emotional moment but nobody was hurt except maybe the kid receiving the dirty hit and maybe the refs feelings. To make this a criminal thing is a waste of time and money. There are many more real crimes happening that should be taking up resources. This whole thing is ridiculous.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's never ok to threaten to kill someone. Ever. It's especially not ok over a ******* high school football game. The number of people normalizing this is shocking to me and shows how far we've fallen as a society. It's ok for a coach to threaten to kill an official for missing a penalty in a football game.

If people want to play the "safety" card then I expect outrage every time there's helmet to helmet contact. Your kid is the running back and lowers his head to try and truck someone? SAFETY ISSUE. Your kid is the safety diving with their helmet at the receiver's knee? SAFETY ISSUE.

The players have safety equipment on. If you aren't ok with the risks of your kid being hit then don't put your kid in the event. Threatening to kill an official for a helmet to helmet hit? Complete ridiculousness.

To be fair, alot of the "normalizing" took place before anyone knew what he said. I don't see many people defending what he said.

Reactions: wxman1

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I absolutely agree that saying this takes it way, way, way too far. I also would tend to think that resigning and publicly apologizing should suffice. I just can't see a need to make this a criminal matter. The guy was fired up, said something he undoubtedly shouldn't have said, but I can't imagine anyone involved ever thought he'd carry out his threat.

And yes, I realize this probably does fit the definition of Harassment 1, but I'd just like to think that they could work this out without the need for police and a prosecutor.

I think the best example they could set for the kids is to get the two of them together, have the coach offer an unconditional apology, discuss how you should never let your actions get away from you like that, and hopefully show the two of them are able to move on.
Based on this new info he clearly went to far. I’d still like to know context to understand if there was a legitimate threat or just someone spouting off. I think that makes a difference. If it was a legitimate threat then criminal charges are warranted. If it was the latter it probably should have just been handled between the parties

Based on this definition I found I think it probably is 3rd degree harassment unless I’m just misunderstanding the statute. Severity doesn’t appear to have any factor in what degree it is.

https://law.justia.com/codes/iowa/2014/title-xvi/subtitle-1/chapter-708/section-708.7/

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Appears so.

Unreal...

I'm sure he didnt mean it literally, either way he's already paid the price for his mistake. That being said, I dont blame him one bit for sticking up for his players against a team that has huge fiscal and physical advantages. There is no telling what kind of injury his kid could have gotten from a dirty play like that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron