Lincoln coach to face possible charges for yelling

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Why just this ref? We had 2 potential illegal hits Saturday that professional refs missed which could have resulted in injury.

Not defending the ref - just saying the calls for perfection are crazy.
I think expectations need to match the resources available. I have not gone and actually watched a high school game in years. I go but wind up talking to folks and never watch the games. But fewer refs and less technology make it far more challenging to pick up everything at the h.s. level. Was it the Iowa game this year where they only had one camera angle working for replays due to weather. The replays were a LOT less useful. Having no replays has to be exponentially harder to catch all of the infractions.

I just think the notion of NO EXCUSE for missing because it is humans, watching other humans, and things aren't always perfectly recognized. That said "best effort" seems reasonable. Not sure how to judge that.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think expectations need to match the resources available. I have not gone and actually watched a high school game in years. I go but wind up talking to folks and never watch the games. But fewer refs and less technology make it far more challenging to pick up everything at the h.s. level. Was it the Iowa game this year where they only had one camera angle working for replays due to weather. The replays were a LOT less useful. Having no replays has to be exponentially harder to catch all of the infractions.

I just think the notion of NO EXCUSE for missing because it is humans, watching other humans, and things aren't always perfectly recognized. That said "best effort" seems reasonable. Not sure how to judge that.
I hope "best effort" hasn't been reduced to...............just be happy they showed up.

Last edited:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I hope "best effort" hasn't been reduced to...............just be happy they showed up.
Agree.

It is particularly daunting as we are all keenly aware of the health risks associated with head injuries.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
So is the Des Moines school district going to take action against the kid, since this all started from his illegal hit that the ref missed?

Oh, wait ... Dowling isn't part of the Des Moines public school system. So the school district can put all the blame on the ref without any consequences.

I'm sure this is going to make it even easier for Des Moines schools to schedule officials in the future ... :rolleyes:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So is the Des Moines school district going to take action against the kid, since this all started from his illegal hit that the ref missed?

Oh, wait ... Dowling isn't part of the Des Moines public school system. So the school district can put all the blame on the ref without any consequences.

I'm sure this is going to make it even easier for Des Moines schools to schedule officials in the future ... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately true. The refs seem to hold all of the cards in these situations. Zero accountability and then when they are called out on something fine we will take our ball and go home.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Also, Notice Dowling has not responded on if they are suspending the kid a game or the Iowa High School association? It's funny that NFL and College hold players accountable but not high school. High School coaches have way to much power. That should be an automatic suspension

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Also, Notice Dowling has not responded on if they are suspending the kid a game or the Iowa High School association? It's funny that NFL and College hold players accountable but not high school. High School coaches have way to much power. That should be an automatic suspension

While I think the kid should be suspended, are there any examples of the Iowa HS Association reviewing hits and suspending anyone? Seems like a road they wouldn't want to go down.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Compare that to the roughing the passer call against Rashan Gary in the Green Bay/Dallas game.
Or the idiotic personal fouls for contact to the head when a DL trying to knock down a pass has his hands graze a QBs helmet with almost no force.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Obviously football is a physical game but to me the question is there types of hits where is obvious intent to injure such as this type of hit where there should be assault charges?

iSUCylones

Mar 5, 2012
Des Moines
The NFHS defines targeting in Rule 2-20-2 as: "an act by any player who takes aim and initiates contact against an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders." In order for a targeting call there must be intent and unlike other levels, the foul is not an automatic ejection unless the official determines it was flagrant.

Personally, I think the player launched himself and led with at least his shoulder if not his helmet to the head area of the opponent. With the benefit of replay, the play seems to meet the definition of targeting. If it were me, I probably would have also ruled the act flagrant. However, I can watch it multiple times from a better angle. That referee only got one chance to see it.

That being said, the official probably made a mistake and missed the call. The R was probably the only one who who had eyes on the QB and may have had a bad angle, been distracted by a holding, blinked at the wrong time, or maybe even just swallowed his whistle. However, I can guarantee that the referee did not seek to miss a call that night that involved player safety. In fact, I would bet the referee did not seek to miss any calls that night, serious or otherwise. As a human, he is going to make mistakes. He is watching the play in realtime and does not have the benefit of replay or slowing the play down. This is not his fulltime job. He is giving up his Friday nights, for little pay, to try to provide a fair forum for kids to play a game. He is fallible and is probably kicking himself that he missed the call.

There is no excuse though for the Coach's response. To have to be physically restrained is ridiculous. It will be interesting if we learn what was actually said. I would guess he said more than what he told KCCI when his lawyer was next to him. Obviously he felt the need to resign because of it. If any type of threat was made, charges should be filed as being a football coach should not be immunity from breaking the law.

Finally, for those calling for " public accountability," what do you think that looks like for a part-time, independent contractor? Force him to go on the news and admit he messed up? That will open the floodgates and officials will leave in droves. He did his best and made a mistake. This is being handled like it should. There is no doubt the assignor will take this play into consideration when deciding how many games and at what level this crew should work. I am sure the IHSAA has also looked at this play and it will factor in their decision to award any playoff games.

It is beyond me why people seem to think they are officiating experts and somehow entitled to a pound of flesh from this high school official. Watching them try and referee anything would be hilarious because until you do it, you don't realize how hard it is and how much you are responsible for watching. Not missing calls is impossible.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The NFHS defines targeting in Rule 2-20-2 as: "an act by any player who takes aim and initiates contact against an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders." In order for a targeting call there must be intent and unlike other levels, the foul is not an automatic ejection unless the official determines it was flagrant.

Personally, I think the player launched himself and led with at least his shoulder if not his helmet to the head area of the opponent. With the benefit of replay, the play seems to meet the definition of targeting. If it were me, I probably would have also ruled the act flagrant. However, I can watch it multiple times from a better angle. That referee only got one chance to see it.

That being said, the official probably made a mistake and missed the call. The R was probably the only one who who had eyes on the QB and may have had a bad angle, been distracted by a holding, blinked at the wrong time, or maybe even just swallowed his whistle. However, I can guarantee that the referee did not seek to miss a call that night that involved player safety. In fact, I would bet the referee did not seek to miss any calls that night, serious or otherwise. As a human, he is going to make mistakes. He is watching the play in realtime and does not have the benefit of replay or slowing the play down. This is not his fulltime job. He is giving up his Friday nights, for little pay, to try to provide a fair forum for kids to play a game. He is fallible and is probably kicking himself that he missed the call.

There is no excuse though for the Coach's response. To have to be physically restrained is ridiculous. It will be interesting if we learn what was actually said. I would guess he said more than what he told KCCI when his lawyer was next to him. Obviously he felt the need to resign because of it. If any type of threat was made, charges should be filed as being a football coach should not be immunity from breaking the law.

Finally, for those calling for " public accountability," what do you think that looks like for a part-time, independent contractor? Force him to go on the news and admit he messed up? That will open the floodgates and officials will leave in droves. He did his best and made a mistake. This is being handled like it should. There is no doubt the assignor will take this play into consideration when deciding how many games and at what level this crew should work. I am sure the IHSAA has also looked at this play and it will factor in their decision to award any playoff games.

It is beyond me why people seem to think they are officiating experts and somehow entitled to a pound of flesh from this high school official. Watching them try and referee anything would be hilarious because until you do it, you don't realize how hard it is and how much you are responsible for watching. Not missing calls is impossible.

Every time someone says "He is giving up his Friday nights". NO. No no, it's a job. He get's paid. I don't give up my Monday through Friday. I come to work. He is getting paid to work a job. Just like any other job you have to be held accountable. If I go work a night bartending to make extra money. I didn't give up my Tuesday night to go hang out at the bar. I gave up my Tuesday night to do a job and get paid.

Charges against the coach are dumb. The only people who are going to be able to testify what he said are the ref, The Coach, and Players. Do we really want to waste a bunch of high school kids time bringing them to court? Just dumb.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If it's true he said something along the lines of "I'll kill you" then this is warranted, IMO. I know it was a sports play and things get emotional, but still have to know the line to not cross. He will get a chance in court and more details will come out.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
If it's true he said something along the lines of "I'll kill you" then this is warranted, IMO. I know it was a sports play and things get emotional, but still have to know the line to not cross. He will get a chance in court and more details will come out.
It won’t go to court. He will plead out.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron