KU Hoops: brought to you by Adidas and Snoop Dogg

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
About 40% of my responses here are serious conversations. The rest are me just having fun with you guys. I get a good laugh and you guys get a KU villain. It's a win-win provided that no one takes me too seriously.

The season is almost here, we'll have real hoops to talk about pretty soon and we wont have to discuss this nonsense any more.
Pretty sure all the NCAA still will be continuing all through the season...unless you think it all will just go away. There is just a lull now given I believe KU has 90 days to respond?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Pretty sure all the NCAA still will be continuing all through the season...unless you think it all will just go away. There is just a lull now given I believe KU has 90 days to respond?
I dont expect much to happen with the ncaa case during the season. Maybe it will, maybe it wont, I dont know. It's not something I worry about since there isnt anything I can do but observe the results on. An answer will come eventually.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I dont expect much to happen with the ncaa case during the season. Maybe it will, maybe it wont, I dont know. It's not something I worry about since there isnt anything I can do but observe the results on. An answer will come eventually.

I think that is worse though that nothing has happened, with it still out there hanging around, it will stay relevant. Im guessing it gets brought up every KU broadcast. I think it would go away faster if it were already resolved.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think that is worse though that nothing has happened, with it still out there hanging around, it will stay relevant. Im guessing it gets brought up every KU broadcast. I think it would go away faster if it were already resolved.
By definition, it would go away faster if it was already resolved. It will be talked about all season, so it goes.

Nothing moves fast with the ncaa. They are incompetent and will sit for 6 months staring at a meager pile of innuendo texts hoping that something with real meaning falls into their lap before issuing a ludicrous ruling that gets cut down on appeal. We have seen this in the DeSousa case and we will see it again here.

KU will have some holes to fill in recruiting that may get filled with longer term prospects this season. Adjust, move forward, repeat.

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY and Macloney

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'm not so sure media enablers will focus much on Ku's malfeasance this season. It's in their interests - Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, Dickie V, ESPN generally - that Ku comes out of this without significantly harming their asset value.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: Go2Guy and cyson

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
About 40% of my responses here are serious conversations. The rest are me just having fun with you guys. I get a good laugh and you guys get a KU villain. It's a win-win provided that no one takes me too seriously.

The season is almost here, we'll have real hoops to talk about pretty soon and we wont have to discuss this nonsense any more.
I'll give you credit. You play the KU villain part really well.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I'm not so sure media enablers will focus much on Ku's malfeasance this season. It's in their interests - Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, Dickie V, ESPN generally - that Ku comes out of this without significantly harming their asset value.
You're so wrong on this that it makes me laugh. We are going to hear about this nonstop all season.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I'll give you credit. You play the KU villain part really well.
It's amusing so long as no one takes it too seriously. The people here who spazz out about everything else spazz out about it but that's obviously no surprise. It's not personal.

I dont mind being a punching bag over here. Some folks here are really funny and play along well and that amuses me. Work and life are a bit of a grind these days so a few laughs here and there are enjoyable.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
If you want my brutally honest opinion, I dont see a program getting some guys with help from a shoe company as any different than speeding. If you dont do those things, you will be passed by by those you share the road with. If you get caught, you pay the fine and get back on the road.

Asking me to be morally outraged over such a nothing burger is to me the same as if I freaked out over hearing you got a speeding ticket, screaming "you could have killed someone".

It's a breaking of a rule that I believe is based in stupidity. Players should be able to get whatever money they can just like every other college student can. Are there big dollar law firms giving the best students perks and bonuses for attending a specific law school? Absolutely. It's no different. If you're mad that your school doesn't have more elite kids going to it then improve it and make it a more desirable choice.

• Useful
  • Creative
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm for players getting compensated. Programs like Kansas, Auburn, and Arizona would continue to push the limits and break rules to get players though. Allowing players to be paid isn't going to change how some programs handle themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: cyson

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
If you want my brutally honest opinion, I dont see a program getting some guys with help from a shoe company as any different than speeding. If you dont do those things, you will be passed by by those you share the road with. If you get caught, you pay the fine and get back on the road.

Asking me to be morally outraged over such a nothing burger is to me the same as if I freaked out over hearing you got a speeding ticket, screaming "you could have killed someone".

It's a breaking of a rule that I believe is based in stupidity. Players should be able to get whatever money they can just like every other college student can. Are there big dollar law firms giving the best students perks and bonuses for attending a specific law school? Absolutely. It's no different. If you're mad that your school doesn't have more elite kids going to it then improve it and make it a more desirable choice.
Here is a question based on your above response that you might find amusing. Say there are 5 schools willing to take part in the shoe pay for play business model. There are only 5 because they are the only ones willing to speed due to the potential for speeding tickets. The other 295+ schools play by the rules. Now, the rules change and players can now be special perks and bonuses. You have 300+ schools doing the same thing, paying for players, because, honestly, $100,000 per player isn't much to a P5 program, especially if supplemented by deep pocket donors.

Does KU stay at/near the top of the Big 12 if this becomes the norm...where schools like Texas and Oklahoma, which have double (or more) of the KU budget now can flip $100K, $150K, or more at 5 star basketball recruits?

Bonus question...Can KU stay at or near the top of the Big 12 if they stop getting 4 and 5 star players due to being outbid?

Be careful what you wish for...

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
It's amusing so long as no one takes it too seriously. The people here who spazz out about everything else spazz out about it but that's obviously no surprise. It's not personal.

I dont mind being a punching bag over here. Some folks here are really funny and play along well and that amuses me. Work and life are a bit of a grind these days so a few laughs here and there are enjoyable.

Sam Mellinger wrote this week that he sees Self's window either way at 2 years. What are your thoughts?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Like your athletic department, you have zero ethics. You don't understand the importance of doing what's right rather than what's beneficial. Your thoughts are a sad statement on the state of American sports today. Ends justify means. My gosh!

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Like your athletic department, you have zero ethics. You don't understand the importance of doing what's right rather than what's beneficial. Your thoughts are a sad statement on the state of American sports today. Ends justify means. My gosh!
Do you speed when you drive? Likely. We all do despite high speeds being the primary factor in almost 10,000 road deaths in 2017. Is it because you have low ethics? Likely not.

Again, tying my personal ethics to my lack of concern over the breaking of trivial rules that the majority of sports fans feel are unjust and that will likely be eliminated in the near future is typical you.

Faux outrage over morality is mainly the tool of people who are mad that they arent better at things. It makes people feel better about themselves to have something they feel makes them better than the people who just beat them again or who are succeeding more than them.

I speed, I use recreational marijuana, I dont go to church and I cheer for Kansas yet miraculously, I have never been arrested, have been happily married for 21 years, volunteer in my community, behave in my community with exemplary ethics and morality and have two lovely daughters who are kind souls.

You dont know me. You dont know my ethics or my morality. This is a sports message board. Dont make dumba$$ assumptions.

Help Support Us

Become a patron