Hilton Madness and secret scrimmage?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
As a kid, I seem to remember events after one of the football games. Usually started with an autograph session and then they had a scrimmage and 3 pt shooting contest.

I'd love to bring back something like this. No need for a party atmosphere. Just have some sort of start to the season. Maybe that's later in October even.
That was exciting as it offered the first glimpse of the new team.

I don’t think I’d be as excited now, as we have CCL, YouTube, message boards and year-round coverage. But I’d still go.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
That was exciting as it offered the first glimpse of the new team.

I don’t think I’d be as excited now, as we have CCL, YouTube, message boards and year-round coverage. But I’d still go.

It was also a good way for those to experience Hilton in seats very close to the players/court for those who can't afford it during the season.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Granted that was just a practice but....WOOF!

Either our defense is much improved or our shot selection and ball handling need vast improvement.

Lots of turnovers, only one that could handle the ball was Haliburton.

We left about 10 till 5 and I could count the number of made shots on my fingers. Lots of situational full court.

I’m sure things will improve and likely jitters with the crowd but.....Griffin looked the most impressive!

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Granted that was just a practice but....WOOF!

Either our defense is much improved or our shot selection and ball handling need vast improvement.

We left about 10 till 5 and I could count the number of made shots on my fingers. Lots of situational full court.

I’m sure things will improve and likely jitters with the crowd but.....Griffin looked the most impressive!

What was the size of the crowd? The time this was scheduled for didn't leave much chance for the 8-5 people.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: DrClone and NWICY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Thanks for the comments.

We start two bigs, and Nixon isn’t a good shooter, so it’s not surprising for there to be some bad offense.

Given what we know about TH and Jacobson, Griffin being the most impressive is encouraging.
Being able to play he or Lewis at the 4 would be great news.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
What was the size of the crowd? The time this was scheduled for didn't leave much chance for the 8-5 people.

They had people sitting on the west side lower level (not the super low - they were all pushed in)
Probably about 70% full
Thought I heard on usher say 3000

Honestly it was pretty boring but any time I can get in Hilton I’m game.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks for the comments.

We start two bigs, and Nixon isn’t a good shooter, so it’s not surprising for there to be some bad offense.

Given what we know about TH and Jacobson, Griffin being the most impressive is encouraging.

Griffin was really hitting the boards.

Hard to say starters as he really had groups mixed up but I would say Italy trip was telling. I think we start two bigs as well but I was most impressed with Griffin - would be great at 4 imo.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Griffin was really hitting the boards.

Hard to say starters as he really had groups mixed up but I would say Italy trip was telling. I think we start two bigs as well but I was most impressed with Griffin - would be great at 4 imo.
Would love to see Griffin be another Dustin Hogue type of player for us.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Would love to see Griffin be another Dustin Hogue type of player for us.
I would rather him be another Ejim type player, or a Fizer type player, maybe even a Kenny Pratt, or Damion Staple type player! Why is everyone so obsessed with wanting everyone to be like Hogue? I get it he is and was a damn good player. But the wishful comparison everyone has on this board is getting old. Find another player to want current players to be like!

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
They had people sitting on the west side lower level (not the super low - they were all pushed in)
Probably about 70% full
Thought I heard on usher say 3000

Honestly it was pretty boring but any time I can get in Hilton I’m game.

Wow I figured the crowd would struggle to get to 1,000 based on the time. Must have been alot of students.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Thanks for the comments.

Lol Lewis is not and never will be a 4 or be able to play at that spot

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I would rather him be another Ejim type player, or a Fizer type player, maybe even a Kenny Pratt, or Damion Staple type player! Why is everyone so obsessed with wanting everyone to be like Hogue? I get it he is and was a damn good player. But the wishful comparison everyone has on this board is getting old. Find another player to want current players to be like!
I think the idea is that they're not expecting someone to be a superstar, like Fizer or Ejim, but a great role player. Hogue's role was rebounding, defense, and make a few 3's. That's basically the same as Pratt, but hogue is just more recent, and there hasn't been a player like him since.

I hope Zion is another Hogue!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I hope he turns out to be like Julius Michalik! Better?

Help Support Us

Become a patron