NBA: ***NBA 2019-2020 Season***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My hot take:

Zion will be a bust

Just curious why you think so. I'm not expecting him to be the next Lebron but I don't see a lot of gaping holes in his game either. If anything derails his career it'll be injuries.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
My hot take is that Zion will struggle and won't make rookie first team

My hot take:

Zion will be a bust

I could see him just being a quality player rather than a star, but unless that big beautiful body breaks down it’s hard to see him busting. Deonte Burton’s got the same kind of build and explosiveness and he’s been injury free. If he doesn’t develop that jumper you can still play Zion at the 5. The Pels will be getting up and down the floor like usual, Lonzo’s got a new jumper, and it’s going to be juicy. He also doesn’t seem to be the type of guy to get derailed by off-court stuff.​

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I could see him just being a quality player rather than a star, but unless that big beautiful body breaks down it’s hard to see him busting. Deonte Burton’s got the same kind of build and explosiveness and he’s been injury free. If he doesn’t develop that jumper you can still play Zion at the 5. The Pels will be getting up and down the floor like usual, Lonzo’s got a new jumper, and it’s going to be juicy.​

I dunno, Lonzo's jumper still looks kinda broke. The across-his-body slingshot motion is thankfully gone, but the new form looks slow and a little unnatural for him. Not as busted as Markelle Fultz, but still not great.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
One thing I find kind of interesting is that the NBA is cracking down on listed heights. Actual heights without shoes. I don’t know how they enforce it. Also no more ninja looks which is lame.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
One thing I find kind of interesting is that the NBA is cracking down on listed heights. Actual heights without shoes. I don’t know how they enforce it. Also no more ninja looks which is lame.

Mandatory preseason measurements conducted by league officials and witnessed and verified by a notary public. You don't get measured, you don't play. This is serious business. We must know Joel Embiid's true height.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I dunno, Lonzo's jumper still looks kinda broke. The across-his-body slingshot motion is thankfully gone, but the new form looks slow and a little unnatural for him. Not as busted as Markelle Fultz, but still not great.

it looks extremely mechanical, and I don’t know how he shoots it off the dribble, but at least he’s trying.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
it looks extremely mechanical, and I don’t know how he shoots it off the dribble, but at least he’s trying.

Definitely. I think it's a tough ask for any athlete to totally break down and rebuild their throwing motion/shooting motion/swing/whatever. Whatever bad habits set in early become muscle memory. Lonzo used that across the body motion for what, probably the better part of fifteen years? Tough to start over. It's one thing to clean up a shooting motion a little. Lots of guys become better shooters over time if they put the work in. But it's a different animal to just admit your jumper is busted and you need to totally start over.

Reactions: Halincandenza

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Just curious why you think so. I'm not expecting him to be the next Lebron but I don't see a lot of gaping holes in his game either. If anything derails his career it'll be injuries.

Because almost everyone is hyping him to be the next Lebron. Thats ridiculous pressure and expectations. Almost no way he lives up to it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Because almost everyone is hyping him to be the next Lebron. Thats ridiculous pressure and expectations. Almost no way he lives up to it.

I'm not really picking up that vibe. I think people are excited to watch him play for sure but he's not coming in with anywhere near the hype and expectations Lebron came in with. When Lebron came into the league everyone expected him to put the Cavs on his shoulders immediately. Zion and Lebron are built similarly but that's pretty much where the comp ends for me.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm not really picking up that vibe. I think people are excited to watch him play for sure but he's not coming in with anywhere near the hype and expectations Lebron came in with. When Lebron came into the league everyone expected him to put the Cavs on his shoulders immediately. Zion and Lebron are built similarly but that's pretty much where the comp ends for me.
Uh Zion hype was crazy until he went to a franchise no one gave one good God damn about

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
ECF: 76ers over the Nets
WCF: Rockets over Clips
Finals: Rockets
MVP: Harden
ROY: Ja Morant
MIP: Lonzo Ball

For some reason I see a Bucks regression coming. Losing Brogdon will hurt and I just don't think Giannis's game is condusive to taking over late in the playoffs. Plus they will feel the pressure of Giannis potentially leaving after this year. I know no Durant this year, but the Nets were playing real good ball the end of last year, and add Kyrie to Caris Levert, Dinwiddie assuming Jarrett Allen makes a jump and I think you have the 2nd best team in the East.

In the West, I can't bet against the fire power of Harden and Westbrook. Sure there is the chance, nay, probability that it all goes tragically wrong and they've each asked to be traded by Christmas. But they are two of the most dynamic players in the NBA in the same back court and I have no idea how you guard that.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Feel like Ben Simmons is his ceiling.

I was about to say ceiling instead of expectation but it’s difficult to put ceilings on either. I think I’d rather have Simmons if I had a choice.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
In the West, I can't bet against the fire power of Harden and Westbrook. Sure there is the chance, nay, probability that it all goes tragically wrong and they've each asked to be traded by Christmas. But they are two of the most dynamic players in the NBA in the same back court and I have no idea how you guard that.

I think the only guarantee you have out of Houston this season is that James Harden's new stepback one-legged three is going to infuriate fans everywhere.

Reactions: Doc

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

There are people out there saying the Pelicans are a playoff team because of Zion.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don’t think he will be a bust but does he have something elite in his skill set that translates to the NBA besides athleticism? The NBA has really transformed so fast they’ve gone from rough and tumble, isolation, to tall athletic guys that can run, and now to a more skill and passing based league in like 10 years.

I think he will be a highlight machine but I have trouble seeing him in that elite tier of players in the next 3-5 years.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
There are people out there saying the Pelicans are a playoff team because of Zion.

It’s not just Zion, though. They’ve got Holiday, and Ingram, who really started making some big strides last year. Derrick Favors could blossom now that he’s not playing with Gobert. Sure fire playoff team if they were in the East.

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Pretty confident the Bucks win the East. They match the size of the 76ers the best. Pacers will be 3rd in the east I think after Bucks and 76ers.

West I think will be won by Clippers. Kawhi is the best player in the world right now and pairing him up with Paul George is a tough combo. Not to mention other strong defensive players with the Clippers. Think the Nuggets take 2nd and the Jazz 3rd Portland 4th. Think the Lakers are Rockets are busts.