Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This whole thing is so frustrating, I’m sure from both sides. One side has band members that were (at the very least) not shown respect, then mismanaged the PR and how their band members’ concerns were handled. The other is branded the “bad guy,” while knowing full well lines are crossed on all sides, every year, across the country, by SOME fans.

I personally think Pollard hit back too hard on the Barta press release, and should have been more measure. Something like,”We’re deeply concerned about the wellbeing of UofI’s band members, and will provided any information we can to help find anyone involved once we are given more detail. We won’t tolerate that kind of behavior. What we don’t want to do is inflame a sensitive situation by stating anything too generally, without specifics, that could create more problems down the road.”
.....but I’m days removed and not on stage being blind sided by a bunch or reporters either.

I hope this doesn’t end the series, I love it and
I’m passionate about it. I hope instead it’s a wake up call for SOME fans.

I don't think Pollard went overboard at all. He basically said that we want to find out the truth, but that ISU had not received any information or details from Iowa on what happened, and that none of the police or security had reported anything either.... so he was just waiting to hear something.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't think Pollard went overboard at all. He basically said that we want to find out the truth, but that ISU had not received any information or details from Iowa on what happened, and that none of the police or security had reported anything either.... so he was just waiting to hear something.
All of that and he said the band directors talked to each other.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This whole situation is why you turn these things over to the authorities and not hold a press conference about it before knowing anything
Barta never gets held accountable by anyone so what's the incentive to do so.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
QCHawkeye.... how do you think band members from ISU and UNI are treated at Kinnick?

I've heard some pretty damaging stories from both of those bands about how Iowa fans treated them at Kinnick. I wonder if those will get some air time on GMA? Some are pretty bad, like almost just as bad as being groped.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
QCHawkeye.... how do you think band members from ISU and UNI are treated at Kinnick?

I've heard some pretty damaging stories from both of those bands about how Iowa fans treated them at Kinnick. I wonder if those will get some air time on GMA? Some are pretty bad, like almost just as bad as being groped.

There's been some stuff on CF from ISU posters that are former ISU band members that wrote about things like people getting groped.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
All of that and he said the band directors talked to each other.

I don't know that I put too much into the whole "the band directors talked after the game" thing... depending on WHEN they actually spoke?

If they spoke right when the game ended for example.... they might have actually been speaking to one another as the Iowa band was marching to their bus, and the Iowa Director wouldn't have known anything yet at that point.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So if some Iowa band members do go on GMA.... I'd have to think one of their biggest beef's would be against Barta and Harrell, right? That's what they've been saying recently.

So not only would this look bad on a few horrible ISU fans.... but it could likely mean the end of Barta and Harrell.... which I'm sure most Iowa fans would be fine with.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don’t know what has or hasn’t been given, but if Pollard is not being given anything, I’ve got to think he’s got to be going to Barta and telling him turn over all information so he can investigate or he’s suing.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
There are cameras all over the stadium and outside of it. I would be very surprised if the entire band couldn’t be accounted for from the time they got off the bus and entered the stadium to the time they loaded the bus and left. I also guarantee the athletic dept/university have already reviewed the videos and are waiting for official police reports to be filed to release the videos. In other words, JP has already covered ISU’s a$$ and is just waiting for Barta to push it past the point of no return. Why do you think Barta’s been trying to TOE the line (pun intended). I have personally tailgate directly across from the visiting busses on the grass of 4th street in B6 for 15ish years and know that there are always local police, state patrol, and security around before, during, and after the games. I doubt these serious accusations could have occurred between the gate and the busses which is less than 100 yards without police, other band member, or other fan intervention.

Reactions: CyDude16

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
False. Why would I be cool with fans being jackwads? It's pretty pathetic that anybody would take something so seriously when they personally had no effect on the outcome.
Right. And we all recall your numerous posts expressing your outrage at how fans and bands are treated at Kinnick.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This story is Swiss cheese. Just go to the ******* police. Why are these victims turning to Facebook instead of working with the police? Nothing is adding up here. The most likely thing I can deduce is that the Iowa band wants to attack Barta and throwing ISU under the bus was just a fun side effect.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There are cameras all over the stadium and outside of it. I would be very surprised if the entire band couldn’t be accounted for from the time they got off the bus and entered the stadium to the time they loaded the bus and left. I also guarantee the athletic dept/university have already reviewed the videos and are waiting for official police reports to be filed to release the videos. In other words, JP has already covered ISU’s a$$ and is just waiting for Barta to push it past the point of no return. Why do you think Barta’s been trying to TOE the line (pun intended). I have personally tailgate directly across from the visiting busses on the grass of 4th street in B6 for 15ish years and know that there are always local police, state patrol, and security around before, during, and after the games. I doubt these serious accusations could have occurred between the gate and the busses which is less than 100 yards without police, other band member, or other fan intervention.

Agree. Every game I've ever left at Jack Trice, the opposing football team's buses and opposing team's band's buses are parked right on 4th street facing east.... and there are usually about 15-20 police cars sitting between the buses.

I've never been to a single game where it hasn't been this way.

• Agree
Reactions: JayV

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
This whole Barta being terrible at his job thing is really fun until it starts impacting Iowa State. The way he has handled this has created more questions than answers and is dragging something out for an incredibly long time that could be resolved rather quickly. Pretty much sums things up for his tenure at Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron