Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Traffic most likely won't be as bad as it's late September and school being back in session. There is so much to see in that area. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse (only see it from the road, no reason to pay) Devils Tower, Custer State Park, The Badlands and of course one of the worlds greatest tourist traps, Wall Drug.
Don't forget one of the most under visited parks in the NP system, Wind Cave. It is literally right next to Custer SP. Also the mammoth site in Hot Springs is kind of cool.

A hike from Sylvan Lake up to Black Elk (formerly Harney) Peak is fun but make sure you are on top of the weather. It's an only mildly strenuous 7 mile (roundtrip) hike.

On the way out or back take a pit stop in Mitchell and see the corn palace.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Don't forget one of the most under visited parks in the NP system, Wind Cave. It is literally right next to Custer SP. Also the mammoth site in Hot Springs is kind of cool.

A hike from Sylvan Lake up to Black Elk (formerly Harney) Peak is fun but make sure you are on top of the weather. It's an only mildly strenuous 7 mile (roundtrip) hike.

There is still plenty I haven't seen in the Black Hills. I would love to see Wind Cave as I love caves. (non political ones that is)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Do see Mt Rushmore and I'd recommend seeing it both during the day and at night.

While out there, be sure to drive through the Badlands and stop at a couple of the scenic stops. Be sure to drive the Needles Highway (at least the northern part of it the runs East and West) and stop to walk around Sylvan Lake. Be patient. Traffic is slow.

If you have time, the drive to Devil's Tower is worth it. It's such a unique thing plus you can picture the UFO's all landing there.

Don't forget to stop at Mt. Kilimanjaro on the way home.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yea, I have to take yet another Cyber Security course.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I agree with most of this. Wind Cave is cool. The mammoth site is cool. I wouldn't stop at the Corn Palace.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Now this is my kind of bull fighting

tumblr_pugtu5971U1upy5cdo1_500.gif

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and madguy30

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Might as well throw Jewel Cave in there also. They were both neat caves many moons ago.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
@Cyclones_R_GR8 , I can't remember if you're 62 yet or not, but if you are, have you heard of the "America the Beautiful" passes? One time $80 fee gets you lifetime entry into all National parks for free. Many National monuments and even some state parks also give discounts when you show them your pass.
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578

Got one. Guess where it does not work. :rolleyes:

No admittance fee to Mt. Rushmore but the road/parking is a concessionaire and NPS passes no goodie for that. Still only five dollah for seniors though.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Got one. Guess where it does not work. :rolleyes:

No admittance fee to Mt. Rushmore but the road/parking is a concessionaire and NPS passes no goodie for that. Still only five dollah for seniors though.
Sometimes the concessions give a discount; we got one at Gettysburg last month, also got free entry to Assateague Nat'l Seashore. It doesn't work everywhere, but every little bit helps, and it never hurts to ask.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sometimes the concessions give a discount; we got one at Gettysburg last month, also got free entry to Assateague Nat'l Seashore. It doesn't work everywhere, but every little bit helps, and it never hurts to ask.

Seniors are 50%. Less vintage folks have to pay $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.