Beer Money Sign guy donating it all to UI Stead Family Hospital

• Thread starter Deleted member 8507
  • Start date

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I find it slightly amusing that one Cyclone fan is going to be responsible for giving more to the UI Children's Hospital than ANF actually has generated for farmers. Not that I know the ANF numbers, but as far as I know, it's more about "awareness" than giving back. I do wish that Carson would have given half of that to Blank, which is also a really good children's hospital in DSM.

With the amount of pink shirts I've worn to sporting events I've almost eliminated breast cancer. It's all about awareness.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I wonder why it doesn't just stop at these being considered gifts? Gifts aren't taxable income to the recipient.

I'm not sure. I think the IRS put the 200 transactions or $20,000 in place because once you get to those levels it could be perceived as a sales business transaction (we all know it's not in this case) so it makes it easier for the TPSO.

I know there have been instances on paypal where I buy stuff from people and I mark it as "gift" so I avoid the transaction fee.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not sure. I think the IRS put the 200 transactions or $20,000 in place because once you get to those levels it could be perceived as a sales business transaction (we all know it's not in this case) so it makes it easier for the TPSO.

I know there have been instances on paypal where I buy stuff from people and I mark it as "gift" so I avoid the transaction fee.

That’s how you get around the solicitation issue? You call it a gift? I always heard you put a camera up and called it film making.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I wonder what the matches from Busch Light and Venmo mean? I know it is easy to match when it was at $10K, but now that it is getting to $100K, you would think they would put a cap on the match too. This could get to a million. So I'm taking their match with a grain of salt until it is done. Nothing against Busch Light and Venmo either if they decided to only "match" so much of it since now it is getting so much support and has went viral.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I wonder what the matches from Busch Light and Venmo mean? I know it is easy to match when it was at $10K, but now that it is getting to $100K, you would think they would put a cap on the match too. This could get to a million. So I'm taking their match with a grain of salt until it is done. Nothing against Busch Light and Venmo either if they decided to only "match" so much of it since now it is getting so much support and has went viral.

They are going to match every penny unless they want to have a PR nightmare on their hands.

The amount of free advertising they are getting is priceless. This story will be on Gameday again this week, and it's now making national morning shows. How many people have downloaded Venmo just to make this donation?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I saw a tweet from Busch that sounded excited that he hit the $100,000 mark so I think they are in it for the good publicity.

RIPVEISHEA

Mar 27, 2015
Surely there's an Iowa law grad practicing in tax law that would be happy to provide Carson some pro-bono services. #ANL

• Funny
Reactions: 2020cy

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
$330000 and rising. He’s on good morning America 9/20 and probably Ellen soon

Reactions: Doc

hawkifann

Sep 16, 2019
at first i was kinda disappointed he didn't donate the money to Blank Children's Hospital due to ISU's affiliation, but....did you guys/gals know that the MRI suite at Stead Family Children's Hospital was heavily funded by ISU's Dance Marathon? UI's Dance Marathon, OTOH, paid for a good chunk of the two machines themselves. i think it's really cool they complemented each other like that.

It may sit on Iowa's campus, but the Children's Hospital does amazing work for sick kids in the state. Sadly, I've had 3 friends with young kids go through there. From all I've heard, the staff and care are amazing and I know my friends' kids (none of them Hawkeyes, 2 ISU, 1 UNI) really loved the experience of watching the games. I threw some money Carson's way, this is just tremendous and the Iowa/ISU thing shouldn't matter here.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It may sit on Iowa's campus, but the Children's Hospital does amazing work for sick kids in the state. Sadly, I've had 3 friends with young kids go through there. From all I've heard, the staff and care are amazing and I know my friends' kids (none of them Hawkeyes, 2 ISU, 1 UNI) really loved the experience of watching the games. I threw some money Carson's way, this is just tremendous and the Iowa/ISU thing shouldn't matter here.

I know we like to diminish it, but the wave is cool and I think it makes a difference.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
InBev has $1,000,000 in their couch. No clue about Venmo but it's a good investment, regardless.