Best and Worst Fans

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
We drove out to the last Colorado game in Boulder. Awesome town, awesome views, good food, tailgate lot we were in had like no bathrooms. Fans were nice too.

Reactions: drlove

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
We drove out to the last Colorado game in Boulder. Awesome town, awesome views, good food, tailgate lot we were in had like no bathrooms. Fans were nice too.
Had a similar experience. It's hard to be a jaded football fan when you are living in a town like Boulder haha

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
As far as gameday interactions that happen semi-regularly:

Best - Michigan, close second is surprisingly Nebraska
OK - MSU, Purdue
Bad - Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State
Worst - ISU, Wisconsin
Clueless - Minnesota
Not enough data points as they don't bring many fans or not many games played - Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Went to Stillwater last year. Ok St fans were awesome.
The bad is obvious although UNLV was pretty close and kNebraska is always in the running

Clones1414

Feb 20, 2012
Des Moines
I remember taking a charter bus to Dekalb, Ill for the ISU-Northern Illinois game in 2003

NIU was very talented and had RB Michael "The Burner" Turner--future NFL player, and WR PJ Fleck--now coach of the Minnesota Gophers.

It was a cold, breezy crappy September day in a high school-like stadium. NIU had already beat Maryland and Alabama, and were victors over ISU

I remember some of the ISU fans icluding myself getting yelled at in the parking lot from drunk, stupid NIU fans.... making corn jokes, and acting abusive. They were low-rung low lifes....a collection of dumbasses...LOL.

It's Dekalb Illinois, and we're being told to go back to our cornfields?

I was at this game and agree 100% with your assessment.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Only BigXII/8 stadiums I have not been to are TTU/UT/WV/A&M. Best experiences were OU and OSU. Very welcoming before, during and after games. We always surprise OU fans with how well we travel. Even in bad years. Worst are Mizzou and TCU. Living in TX for the last few years I hear the most complaints about A&M fans.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Worst visiting fans I can recall were NDSU.

Visited Stillwater in the mid-2000s for football and they were great to us. Of course, they kicked our asses.

NDSU? Really? I had nothing but good interactions with them all day. A group of them were walking through the lot and stopped and had beers with us for a while. As a whole I never heard anything negative or any smack talk.

• Agree
Reactions: RealisticCy

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
NDSU? Really? I had nothing but good interactions with them all day. A group of them were walking through the lot and stopped and had beers with us for a while. As a whole I never heard anything negative or any smack talk.

I didn't interact with any of them tailgating that day, at least that I recall. Maybe we just got a bad batch of them in our section.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Is it possible for the best visiting fans to also be from the worst visiting team? If so, it would be WVU. The fans I ran into from West Virginia were great. However, I will never forget when WVU beat us in JTS the last year the visiting teams were on the West side of the field. They were trash talking to the fans without provocation like I’ve never seen from other teams, and I’ve sat just behind the visiting team for a long time seeing many many visiting teams up close before they switched to the other side. They were standing on the benches yelling profanity at the crowd behind them. I wonder if they realized they were trash talking a bunch of old people/families or not, haha. That probably had a ton to do with Holgorsen being an all around a$$hat himself and the team following suite, so maybe the team will start to match their great fans with the new coach.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Been to KU, OU, and OSU for away football games.

KU didn’t really have any interactions with fans.

OU and OSU fans were great.

OU were very hospitable, and my only complaint about OSU fans is they openly tell you (without asking) how much they hate OU (like fat worse than we do Iowa) and how much they hate Mike Gundy.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know we rag on them a lot, but personally, the best opposing team fan interactions I’ve ever had were West Virginia fans.

Went to Morgantown for the ass kicking they gave us in basketball. On the way in to the stadium, they were talking about how much they liked our team, how awesome it was to see us take over Kansas City for the Big 12 tournament, etc.

Really good people, in my experience. And actually knowledgeable.

This gives me hope for my trip to Morgantown this year.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
As far as gameday interactions that happen semi-regularly:

Best - Michigan, close second is surprisingly Nebraska
OK - MSU, Purdue
Bad - Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State
Worst - ISU, Wisconsin
Clueless - Minnesota
Not enough data points as they don't bring many fans or not many games played - Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland

Ohio State, Wisconsin, and ISU are the three worst IMO

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Ohio State, Wisconsin, and ISU are the three worst IMO
Ohio State was bad, but just due to arrogance IMO. I might have put Minnesota as "clueless", but were just as bad if not worse than ISU/Wisconsin back during the Metrodome years.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Bad:
UNLV(saw a brawl in the bathroom and a huge brawl in the stands)
Iowa(It's not just ISU fans that have had bad experiences)
Wisconsin(just angry people that are mad all game long)
Ohio State(can get brutal for night games)

I would say the Big12 stadiums are mostly friendly and I have had good experiences.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I know we rag on them a lot, but personally, the best opposing team fan interactions I’ve ever had were West Virginia fans.

Went to Morgantown for the ass kicking they gave us in basketball. On the way in to the stadium, they were talking about how much they liked our team, how awesome it was to see us take over Kansas City for the Big 12 tournament, etc.

Really good people, in my experience. And actually knowledgeable.

I went to our first football game in Morgantown (the big come from behind win) and their fans were amazing the entire time. Even after the game they were cordial. We had so much free moonshine and food shoved in our faces tailgating. On Friday afternoon, we were eating lunch at a Morgantown sports bar and a random group of guys who stopped and chatted briefly with us (we all had ISU gear on) bought our beers. Later that night, we went to a bar downtown that had karaoke. We got on stage in our ISU gear and sang "Country Roads". I don't think we paid for a beer the rest of the night.

Baylor is my worst experience at a game. They're uptight d-bags, and they don't support their team at all. They called the cops on our group because one guy smuggled a beer in to the stadium.

A&M was weird. Younger Aggy fans were really fun and welcoming. Older Aggy fans were ******* sociopaths who tried to fight/confront anyone and everyone that didn't show proper deference to their 8,000,000 made up traditions that no one but them knows or gives a **** about.

OSU/KSU are basically us. I have very positive experiences with both. I probably prefer OSU. They just aren't as nerdy.

Mizzou fans were forgettable.

KU fans are actually pretty cool for football. Self deprecating and just there to drink and attend a cheap sporting event.

Nebraska fans are pretty meh. They're very nice, but it feels phony and self-congratulatory. I think if ISU had won the game I attended, they wouldn't be as nice.

TCU fans seemed like a mix bag. We tailgated with a real cool group, but saw a lot of general upper crust douchery around us.

Texas fans are cool as hell. I was there in 2010 and everyone was super nice when they thought they would kick our ass, and remained nice when we kicked there's.

Iowa fans can be pretty terrible. But most are fine. I think it's just rivalry ****. I haven't heard too many Big 10 fans complain about them.

Wazzu fans were very cool. They like to party, just like us.

Memphis fans were kinda weird. We had some old Memphis fan walk up to our tailgate and get all emotional and rant about "N*gg*rs tearing down our statues!" It was extremely uncomfortable. Later on, a bunch got butt hurt that we were urinating behind our pick up doors. I'm sorry, we weren't the ones who put 3 kybos for 60,000 people out there.