Conference Schedule & TV Times

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
They are doing this with some big football games this fall also.

Its nothing but a corporate money grab. They know hundreds of thousands of fans will pay $5 to see an important game. Price is low enough people wont think twice about paying to see the Kansas game, but enough where they are profiting nicely from it.
"Want to watch your Cyclones? Well, your carrier [see recent AT&T dispute] needs to pay us more per customer (certainly that won't be passed on to you...) and you need to pay us directly for our online service while you're at it."

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its nothing but a corporate money grab. They know hundreds of thousands of fans will pay $5 to see an important game. Price is low enough people wont think twice about paying to see the Kansas game, but enough where they are profiting nicely from it.

People like my parents will think twice and will be very disappointed on game day when looking for the game to watch on TV! This hurts exposure in many demographics...which is too bad! Lots of casual basketball fans would watch this game even if they weren't Iowa State fans! Now that won't happen as much. I became an Iowa State fan by changing the channel one day and stopped on a game that Iowa State was playing when Barry Stevens was on the team. Loved watching the game that day and have been a fan ever since. That won't happen now if these games are only on subscription streaming services.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I had a feeling this was going to happen. When the ESPN+ deal first came to light I tried to explain to people that it was not a good thing and was assured that the big games would be on regular espn channels and the only games on espn+ would be the ones that are on cyclonetv now. I took that as a win and moved on. Now it really is what I thought it would be. This is no bueno for the b12

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
I don't mind streaming services; however it IS easier to just turn on the TV and find the game. With Netflix, there is an app on a smart TV to stream, so you don't have to cast from another device. Will ESPN+ work this way, or will people have to cast to their TV if they want a more enjoyable viewing experience other than staring at a smaller screen??

What is a major pain (in my opinion) is having three different sources for games this season:

1) Non-conference games on Cyclones.TV
2) Non-con and conference games on TV contract partners.
3) Conference games on ESPN+

Why can't everything just be in one place???

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I had a feeling this was going to happen. When the ESPN+ deal first came to light I tried to explain to people that it was not a good thing and was assured that the big games would be on regular espn channels and the only games on espn+ would be the ones that are on cyclonetv now. I took that as a win and moved on. Now it really is what I thought it would be. This is no bueno for the b12

They completely sold out on previous goals and ended up with less money selling out. Nice job.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This feels like it is something else outside of the third tier agreement though. Go back and read the press release...

"The ESPN+ agreement will start for Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State beginning this year. Iowa State, TCU, Texas Tech and West Virginia will join in 2020."

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I don't mind streaming services; however it IS easier to just turn on the TV and find the game. With Netflix, there is an app on a smart TV to stream, so you don't have to cast from another device. Will ESPN+ work this way, or will people have to cast to their TV if they want a more enjoyable viewing experience other than staring at a smaller screen??

What is a major pain (in my opinion) is having three different sources for games this season:

Depends on the TV, Samsung most likely yes, LG probably not but I don’t think they let you download apps anyways just what comes on them.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019

Problem is with ESPN+ cost $ and most people are not going to want to pay for this for just a few games a year

• Agree
Reactions: 2ndCyCE

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Because that is what we had and it cost too much for young people. Streaming isn't that much different from flipping channels but requires a couple extra steps opening some new app.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Several Games on ESPN+. ESPN is really trying to push the subscribtion channels. Kansas at ISU should be on ESPN, not ESPN+.

The reason ESPN has to put this stuff on espnplus is because they gave the UFC millions upon millions of dollars and has to recoup its investment by putting KU ISU basketball on the digital platform and charge extra for it...all it is imho is a big money grab......

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The reason ESPN has to put this stuff on espnplus is because they gave the UFC millions upon millions of dollars and has to recoup its investment by putting KU ISU basketball on the digital platform and charge extra for it...all it is imho is a big money grab......

Let's not forget about the Long Horn Network...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

I agree corporate money grab...but also with digital espn gets to keep ALL OF THE MONEY.....GREED personified....