2019/2020 WIN Ranking

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I think this is the season when we really realize how far this program has come under the new coaching staff.

Guys ranked at 8 weights, with a freshman that should probably be top 4 in his class after the first few competitions being a very likely 9th ranked wrestler.

Not a bunch of lowly ranked guys either; three guys in the top 6 (again, not even including Carr).

It’s Cy-Hawk GameDay Week and I’m already excited about wrestling season...

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I’m surprised Degen is 3. I haven’t really studied the weights but that’s a lofty ranking. Likewise I would have expected Sam to be a few spots higher. He wrestled really well end of year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m surprised Degen is 3. I haven’t really studied the weights but that’s a lofty ranking. Likewise I would have expected Sam to be a few spots higher. He wrestled really well end of year.
49 graduated a lot last year if I remember right so he moved up due to attrition

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Mackall at 10 seems high unless I’m missing something
There are some freshman that will enter the ranks around the same spot Mackall is at now. Jakob Camacho of NC State is a stud. Joey Melendez of North Carolina and Teske at Penn State. Alex Thomsen at Neb has struggled a little but could be in that range. A lot of the 10-20 guys will take loses here and there this year.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
49 graduated a lot last year if I remember right so he moved up due to attrition
Also Boo is behind him in the ranking. If Boo is healthy he is right there. Parriott, Zacherl, and a healthy Findlay can be tough this year at 149.
Freshman Sasso, Brayton Lee, Colton Yapoujian and Peyton Omania (Junior World bronze in greco) should be in the mix as well.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
At 125
Vito is missing, rumored to Oly RS
At 133
Fix, Micic rumored to Oly RS, not sure why RBY isn’t listed
At 141
Yianni & Eierman both Oly RS
At 149
Kolodzik missing
At 165
Lewis missing

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Gomez will move up 1 with Suriano out. Although they have Micky behind him when Austin lost to Micky at nationals. As of right now his chances at AA look very good

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames

I thought it was high right away, but honestly, he could even be #2. Him and Mauller split 4 matches last year. Mauller beat him at NCAAs and placed one spot higher, that's the only difference between the two right now.

He beat Lugo twice, lost to Thomsen but finished higher than him at NCAAs.

Anything lower than #3 would've been a bad ranking for him.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I think that Degen will have a lot of trouble with the new comers to the weight. Sasso, Teemer, Lee, Verkleren, Boo. The ranking is probably about right, but I’d be completely shocked to see him any higher than 6 at NCAA.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I think that Degen will have a lot of trouble with the new comers to the weight. Sasso, Teemer, Lee, Verkleren, Boo. The ranking is probably about right, but I’d be completely shocked to see him any higher than 6 at NCAA.

Degen also seems to surprise every year at NCAAs and always peaks at the right time. If not for a should injury, I think he would've beat Mauller and been top 6 last year. By Saturday at the NCAAs, his gas tank is also a huge advantage as people are typically beat down by that point and he just keeps coming after you. Realistically, 6-8 is probably a good goal, but wouldn't be shocked to see him in the 3/4 place match

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Degen also seems to surprise every year at NCAAs and always peaks at the right time. If not for a should injury, I think he would've beat Mauller and been top 6 last year. By Saturday at the NCAAs, his gas tank is also a huge advantage as people are typically beat down by that point and he just keeps coming after you. Realistically, 6-8 is probably a good goal, but wouldn't be shocked to see him in the 3/4 place match
He's also will potentially have an advantage wrestling a newer/younger guy to the weight. People aren't used to grappling with a preying mantis.

Last edited:

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames

I disagree. If he can avoid seeing them during the season, and gets them for the first time at the NCAAs, I think he's got the advantage. He's a tough guy to wrestle, especially the first time around.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Excited to watch wrestling again. Those Cael years when we were competing were a blast (and filled my enthusiasm gap with MBB and FB sucking). I knew we were improving, but didn't realize we would be a top 10 team next season (I understand it's super preseason).

Reactions: stuclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I disagree. If he can avoid seeing them during the season, and gets them for the first time at the NCAAs, I think he's got the advantage. He's a tough guy to wrestle, especially the first time around.
He is, but was beat first match by Mauller who is less talented than the guys I listed. We will see.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
These guys will be a challenge for Degen. I expect to see Teemer at 157.