Jobs < 36 hrs. Per Week w/ Full Benefits?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I know this might be wishful thinking, and totally OK if it is. But, Cyclone Fanatic is the best resource on the internet for general info, so why not ask!?!

I'm looking for a job change. Wonder if there are any companies out there in the Des Moines area that will hire you to a post that's 36 hours per week or less, but with decent pay (say $40K+ annual) and standard medical benefits? Not a commission-based job, I need stability.

My logic is that I'd like to invest a little time in a side business, but can't afford to stop working. Also, I carry the health insurance for my family which is very important to us. I am willing to take a little bit of a pay cut (right now I make on the + side of $50 K)

Just looking for options. I have 15 ish years of general experience in office work, insurance, customer service, etc., so I have something to offer. But I don't have a special trade like dental skills, etc.

(Hoping there are at least a couple serious answers among the sarcastic ones!)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Not DSM area, but I know my company considers 30 hours and above to be full time in terms of time off, healthcare, and 401k. I looked at dropping down after my baby was born and the only impact it would have truly had was the drop in salary. I can't imagine mine is the only company like that.

I know we have a couple people who take advantage of that setup to meet kids coming home from school/attend school part-time, that sort of thing.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Not DSM area, but I know my company considers 30 hours and above to be full time in terms of time off, healthcare, and 401k. I looked at dropping down after my baby was born and the only impact it would have truly had was the drop in salary. I can't imagine mine is the only company like that.

I know we have a couple people who take advantage of that setup to meet kids coming home from school/attend school part-time, that sort of thing.

Yeah, my employer is the same way (on paper), that 32+ hours is full-time. However, in my current role they won't accommodate that, and it's hard to find a place that will hire you into that arrangement straight-away. Thanks for commenting, tho!

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
What you are really looking for is a salaried job where your boss isn't a hard*** about being there for 40 hours. Several non profits fit this mold in the area. I dont know how the tech scene works in Des Moines but in Madison there are numerous tech jobs where salaried = just get the job done it doesnt matter if it takes you 5 minutes or 72 hours.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I've worked there. Its not a bad gig, depending on your experience.

You wouldn't want to sit there in customer service and answer phones all day.

8 to 4:45 Mon-Thurs and 8-1 on Friday. The benefits are amazing.. well, used to be when I was there

Out a 1 on Friday's sounds like a dream

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If you are looking for a little bit less office or maybe some odd hours you could try UPS. They have some positions with weird hours but they have full benefits even for part time employees. I also know they need to fill positions in Des Moines as they've been on the radio.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
95dc68542cba42ca9ed8b452c953b06d.jpg

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If you are looking for a little bit less office or maybe some odd hours you could try UPS. They have some positions with weird hours but they have full benefits even for part time employees. I also know they need to fill positions in Des Moines as they've been on the radio.

Yep, I was going to suggest FedEx. I know they have packaging handlers, early in the morning and again in the evening.

D

Deleted member 8507

Yeah, my employer is the same way (on paper), that 32+ hours is full-time. However, in my current role they won't accommodate that, and it's hard to find a place that will hire you into that arrangement straight-away. Thanks for commenting, tho!
Federal law requires companies to classify 30+ scheduled hours per week as full time employees. I believe each company is free to define benefits for full time employees but probably can't differentiate between 30 hour employees and 40 hour employees in benefits available (probably can scale the benefit but not outright deny). Just my guess as I am not HR or employee law savvy.
https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/employers/identifying-full-time-employees

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
https://www.american-equity.com/about/careers

37 hour work weeks. I hear their ads on the radio
Health is still good at AEL but they only contribute 4% to 401k but also have ESOP I believe. Also bonuses twice a year plus a Christmas bonus so in December you get paid every Friday.

They will have a new CEO soon as the current CEO is retiring but I wouldnt think that will have much impact.

Sammons also offers 37 hour work week but dont know anything about them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A bit of a tangent from this but every time I see "40 hours" or read how everyone is really working 50 it makes me think of a grad level soc course I took at ISU in the 1970's. It was something along the lines of Sociology of Recreation and Leisure. It focused a lot on how the 40 hour workweek can to be and how it effected life with an emphasis on recreation and leisure. Back then there was also this extremely optimistic future view on how much more leisure/rec time people would have in the future with a projected three or four day work week. LOL at that now almost 50 years into that "future". A lot of the future forecasting at that time was done based on the post WWII 50's and 60's boom.

Reactions: FatNTired

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
A bit of a tangent from this but every time I see "40 hours" or read how everyone is really working 50 it makes me think of a grad level soc course I took at ISU in the 1970's. It was something along the lines of Sociology of Recreation and Leisure. It focused a lot on how the 40 hour workweek can to be and how it effected life with an emphasis on recreation and leisure. Back then there was also this extremely optimistic future view on how much more leisure/rec time people would have in the future with a projected three or four day work week. LOL at that now almost 50 years into that "future". A lot of the future forecasting at that time was done based on the post WWII 50's and 60's boom.

Honestly, we should be there. No reason not to be. Especially as automation picks up. Think some countries/companies have played with 3/4 day work weeks. Corporations are greedy though.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Find a company like mine with unlimited PTO. :)

I know it's all the rage, but I don't think I could do the Flex-PTO model.

It makes sense in theory, get your work done, take time off.

But in what industry do you ever "get done" with your work? Isn't there always something else to work on?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Ah, got it. I know my husband's company does 38.3 hour work weeks as standard. In theory, he works 40 minutes longer each day and then takes every other Friday off. Many will just take that half day. He typically works more than 40 though. Doesn't look like they have an office in DSM though.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
USPS has decent benefits, but they’re brutal to their employees. Don’t recommend them.
I'm thinking about hopping on for additional income as a seasonal worker. Any experience with that?
Both my folks retired from the post office and just treated it as a paycheck, but thinking I could tough out a derp manager for 2 months.