Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
When the flyover on I35 is finally open for business, I'm tempted to drive south of Ames a bit just so I can try it out before I have to use it. With both east and west bound traffic exiting I35 at the same place (different lanes) AND it entering Hwy 30 west at nearly the same location as southbound from I35, I'm also envisioning people driving on roundabouts for the first time.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@Angie I have a Friday OT idea if you're up for it!

When are some instances you felt like you were in your own version of the Truman Show? For example, a few weeks ago, I went to my girlfriend's family reunion in northern Wisconsin for the first time and they introduced me to a specific brand of chip dip that I'd never heard of but apparently has been a staple of their gatherings for years. Since then, I've been getting ads on Facebook and other websites for this brand of dip. I'm sure I never Googled it at any time so it's not just Google keeping track of my cookies. Now, I recently noticed a new billboard on my daily commute to Ames advertising this brand of chip dip. It's not like it's a new product that the company is trying to promote with a heavy marketing campaign because like I said her family has been eating it for years. Now that's for sure not just because Google or someone else is probably listening to my conversations... right?

P.S. Fun fact: there's actually a name for this phenomenon: the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.
https://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

I can totally use that! :) Thanks so much!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When the flyover on I35 is finally open for business, I'm tempted to drive south of Ames a bit just so I can try it out before I have to use it. With both east and west bound traffic exiting I35 at the same place (different lanes) AND it entering Hwy 30 west at nearly the same location as southbound from I35, I'm also envisioning people driving on roundabouts for the first time.

It's going to be a major winter crash magnet. Not sure why in a northern winter state, outside of a major metro area where you have real estate constraints, that you would want more elevated curved decks. Fly over is going be literal when it gets icy. Hell, even in the Twin Cities some of the new and improved fly over thingies are a bit daunting come winter. "Woo hoo! Watch me exit at 70 mph on the ice. No worries I got FWD!" :rolleyes:

• Optimistic
Reactions: oldman

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's going to be a major winter crash magnet. Not sure why in a northern winter state, outside of a major metro area where you have real estate constraints, that you would want more elevated curved decks. Fly over is going be literal when it gets icy. Hell, even in the Twin Cities some of the new and improved fly over thingies are a bit daunting come winter. "Woo hoo! Watch me exit at 70 mph on the ice. No worries I got FWD!" :rolleyes:
The I-29 / I-80 interchange at Council Bluffs is the same way. They added these massive flyovers as well as local interstate lanes and express interstate lanes. If they ever finish.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I remember my first FWD after driving RWD all HS. At college just north of the current HYVEE heading east. Icy so my instincts throw it into neutral. A 900 degreer later and I had to change my underwear when I got home.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I remember my first FWD after driving RWD all HS. At college just north of the current HYVEE heading east. Icy so my instincts throw it into neutral. A 900 degreer later and I had to change my underwear when I got home.
I found that I had to adjust quite a bit when I went from RWD to FWD. I don't think there is any adjustment for 4WD. I just always remember that it isn't ever as safe as it seems with 4WD because 4WD never helps you brake.

Last year during the first big snowfall I had the whole family in the car. I intentionally put the car in bit of a slide around a corner and then powered out of it and my daughter told me how unsafe that was. I proceeded to tell her that I do that every year to make sure I am comfortable getting out of a slide with each of our cars - better to practice it when you are expecting it and you have room to adjust then to have it happen to you in traffic and be getting acclimated to winter driving in an emergency situation. She called bunk on that but Mrs. Velo piped up that she does the same thing for the same reason. An eye opener for a kid that is now just months away from starting to drive.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I found that I had to adjust quite a bit when I went from RWD to FWD. I don't think there is any adjustment for 4WD. I just always remember that it isn't ever as safe as it seems with 4WD because 4WD never helps you brake.

Last year during the first big snowfall I had the whole family in the car. I intentionally put the car in bit of a slide around a corner and then powered out of it and my daughter told me how unsafe that was. I proceeded to tell her that I do that every year to make sure I am comfortable getting out of a slide with each of our cars - better to practice it when you are expecting it and you have room to adjust then to have it happen to you in traffic and be getting acclimated to winter driving in an emergency situation. She called bunk on that but Mrs. Velo piped up that she does the same thing for the same reason. An eye opener for a kid that is now just months away from starting to drive.

I do it to...but partially for fun. Should have seen the glare I got from MrsWx after the first time I did it with LilWx and he walked in telling her about how fun it was.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
giphy.gif

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Still, nothing spun donuts on the ice like my HS friends '64 Chevy Malibu. Great fun until the inside of the car was awash with the reflection of the the police red lights. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and oldman

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
So....I am supposed to believe Jim Beam didn't have a drink or celebrate after the lifting of prohibition until he made his own brew?????? So tired of marketing people lying to me.
Jim Beam was an honorable Southern gentleman. Jack Daniels on the other hand, what a rascal. And don't even get me started on that Wild Turkey guy.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Something about that came out recently how one of the companies pays people to listen to you over certain devices.
You couldn't pay somebody enough to listen to my boring phone conversations. "OK. I'll pick up some breadsticks on my way home. Also, I need to get gas so I'll probably be about 10 minutes later than usual."

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I do it to...but partially for fun. Should have seen the glare I got from MrsWx after the first time I did it with LilWx and he walked in telling her about how fun it was.

My dad did that all the time when I was a kid. Take the '98 Dodge Dakota to the gravel roads and let er rip. Learned to enjoy it after awhile.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Had a car repair that took the bank account down pretty low. Husband gets paid today. Well, SUPPOSED to get paid today. Still no money in the account. This has happened twice before. And I was JUST thinking earlier this week "Watch this be one of the effed up pay periods."

Grrr.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
@Angie I have a Friday OT idea if you're up for it!

When are some instances you felt like you were in your own version of the Truman Show? For example, a few weeks ago, I went to my girlfriend's family reunion in northern Wisconsin for the first time and they introduced me to a specific brand of chip dip that I'd never heard of but apparently has been a staple of their gatherings for years. Since then, I've been getting ads on Facebook and other websites for this brand of dip. I'm sure I never Googled it at any time so it's not just Google keeping track of my cookies. Now, I recently noticed a new billboard on my daily commute to Ames advertising this brand of chip dip. It's not like it's a new product that the company is trying to promote with a heavy marketing campaign because like I said her family has been eating it for years. Now that's for sure not just because Google or someone else is probably listening to my conversations... right?

P.S. Fun fact: there's actually a name for this phenomenon: the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.
https://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

Weird that you mention that. I went to Slim Chickens (Raising Canes sort of place) last night for dinner, and I got YouTube ads for slim chickens later that night (which I've never seen before). Maybe I should be checking my google maps privacy settings...

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Received my appointment letter for the fall class today, and it looks like it confirms my worst fears about DMACC's "heck with you" payroll plan.
They're starting adjunct pay later this fall than last, but mine had the line highlighted that courses starting later in the semester follow the school's regular payroll calendar.

That most like leaves me unpaid there until Thanksgiving. I believe there's a quiet rage quit coming here.

• Dislike
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.