"I'm a big Iowa fan, but I..."

Do you:

• Accept and encourage it, because it's nice to have more fans cheering for ISU in any capacity

Votes: 30 28.3%
  • Laugh because you know "more fun and exciting" = "I want to cheer for the better program"

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Tell them they're idiots because ISU football is 1000x more fun and exciting than Iowa football

Votes: 29 27.4%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
After they get over the shock of finding someone in E. Iowa that's NOT automatically a Hok fan I get the "I cheer for Iowa State when they're not playing Iowa" thing A LOT. It always seems kind of condescending to me. I don't say much because I know in my heart I hate the Hoks and wish they'd lose every game they play.

I have occasionally said, "I hate the hawks. I know it's not good to hate. I'm not proud of it, but it is a 100% accurate word in this case."

I'll try to be nice by saying I don't mind their football and talk about the strong fundamentals and how they generally play hard.

Reactions: khardbored

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'll try to be nice by saying I don't mind their football and talk about the strong fundamentals and how they generally play hard.

It's not the players or even the coaches (excepting Frantic Fran). The university is great and the scholastics are great. It's the dooshie fans - since the 3rd year of Haylen Fly and Lute Lute Lute.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I met a Hawkeye football and wrestling fan but big Iowa state basketball fan. It’s weird

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I talked to someone tonight who said he roots for both teams, but he prefers Iowa State. Thing is, I don't think he is a die-hard. As for me, I don't care what Iowa does one way or another. It just depends on the game.

/ sarcasm.

I think the last time I pulled for the Hawkeyes was in 1996 @ Penn State.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
After seeing the thread title, I thought the next part was going to say "but I went to UNI." This people are all over.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm a Big Iowa Fan, But I... just moved my daughter into her dorm at ISU a little over a week ago, met some great fellow parents who are ISU grads and am really, really glad she's there.

giphy.gif

Did you daughter look at Iowa and take the tour? From what people have been telling me for a few years, Iowa just expect that everyone will want to go there, and really could care less if you actually do, while ISU makes a real effort to reach out and seems to show, that they want you in school in Ames.
What was your experience like, if you do not mind saying?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Did you daughter look at Iowa and take the tour? From what people have been telling me for a few years, Iowa just expect that everyone will want to go there, and really could care less if you actually do, while ISU makes a real effort to reach out and seems to show, that they want you in school in Ames.
PTI, but this reminds me of my situation. Long story short, when I decided to go to school in Iowa after the Army, I sent letters to both Iowa State and Iowa requesting enrollment information. I received my booklet from Iowa State first and mailed in my application. I also heard back from ISU that I was accepted before I even received an application from Iowa. Their loss! So glad I became a Cyclone!

Last edited:

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'm a Big Iowa Fan, But I... just moved my daughter into her dorm at ISU a little over a week ago, met some great fellow parents who are ISU grads and am really, really glad she's there.

giphy.gif
Sincerely, you sound like a great parent. Even if it were the other way around.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

When my son went on his visit, I was surprised when they asked if any alums were there and I was the only one to raise my hand. Figured there would be more. Even at orientation there were only a few of us.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

giphy.gif
My genuine hopes and encouragement for her success.

Reactions: Gonzo

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I have a buddy that's a huge hawk fan in everything except basketball. He hates Fran, and likes ISU's program.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
“I’m a big Iowa State fan, but I...”

...hate the the hawks with every fiber of my being. Absolute. 100% Authentic. Genuine. Hate. I will never, EVER root for the hawks in any capacity. Yeah, maybe it’s borderline sick or something but I don’t care. It’s who I am and how I was raised and I’m not going to apologize for it. I’ll never understand those that say want the other school to win when they are not playing each other. I usually just smile and say ok and inside think you don’t even understand what you are saying. It blows my freaking mind. Pretty sure if you we standing in the garden, you wouldn’t be rooting for the snake and Eve both at the same time. Screw Iowa. Always and Forever.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Being outside of Iowa I can't really say that their fans bother me. My entire family and a lot of friends are Iowa fans. The only thing that sucks is being highly outnumbered when we watch the CyHawk game. In 16 years that I have been in Albuquerque I have met two ISU fans and probably around 30 Iowa fans, but they were cool.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron