NFL: Andrew Luck RETIRING

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
That is really strange. What was he/whomever decided to break the news thinking doing it at that point? In the middle of a game?

Something weird happened here.

I’d say 90% of the blame goes to the guy who chose to break the news during the game, and 10% to Luck for having the meeting right before the game.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Here is Luck's entire press conference:

I watched about 5 minutes. After watching that I’m not sure how anyone can be “mad” at him or question his decision. Great person, great player, time to do something else because his current job isn’t fun anymore. Anyone else can make this decision without being questioned, but when an athlete does it they are “quitting” on themselves and their team.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
I can understand why the fans would be upset. They had just been told he would only likely miss a couple games at most in order to get them to renew their non-refundable season tickets... Then bam! The dude announces he's retiring. If it had been Jim Irsay walking off the field it would have been him they would have been booing.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Wow.. Some fans are taking this as hard as Lebron leaving the Cavs. The dude RETIRED!

people-are-smart-they-can-handle-it-a-person-is-43256473.png

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

maybe not

Really Golic? You're one of the biggest mouth breathers out there on this subject. Hardly a day goes by on your show where you're not talking about how football players that love the game will play through anything and you can't drag them off the field because of how tough they are and they never want to let their teammates down.

He'll talk about how they don't care about how their bodies or brain will be in 10 years because they just love the game too much. He only helps to create this whole image that if you quit, or "retire", you're just not that "tough" or don't love the game.

Anyway, the only reason I feel bad for the fans is if it turns out the Colts and Luck waited to announce this until after they had all renewed their season tickets. That would be total BS.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and matclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In the short term Brissett is the starter. He's on the last year of his rookie deal and he's playing with a pretty good supporting cast, so it's a huge season for him. The good news is that nobody is running away with the AFC South. The Colts aren't Super Bowl contenders now but I don't think the bottom will fall out either. If it does and Brissett flops then the 2020 QB class looks promising.

They won't have access to top-of-the-line QB talent in the draft if the bottom doesn't fall out. Going 8-8 in the NFL can put you in a situation somewhat vaguely similar to the middle-of-the-road teams in the NBA -- not good enough to compete for a championship, but too good to accrue enough draft capital and lacking in the cap space to meaningfully improve their team. I know this circumstance is not as pronounced in the NFL as in the NBA, but the logic of you should either be competing for championships or tanking is there for football, too.

The Colts with Luck are Super Bowl contenders. Without him, they are probably average, good enough to win a weak division, but that is probably the end of the line.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I’m a colts fan and my initial reaction was that he was quitting on the team. After a few hours to think about it, I now feel bad for Luck. He took a lot of beatings early in his career. Now it appears that his body doesn’t heal in a timely manner. Colts had a top 5 team with him in my opinion, without him we will be lucky to be .500. Elite QBs don’t grow on trees.

**** Jim Irsay for not surrounding him with ANY OL in his first years...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Really Golic? You're one of the biggest mouth breathers out there on this subject. Hardly a day goes by on your show where you're not talking about how football players that love the game will play through anything and you can't drag them off the field because of how tough they are and they never want to let their teammates down.

He'll talk about how they don't care about how their bodies or brain will be in 10 years because they just love the game too much. He only helps to create this whole image that if you quit, or "retire", you're just not that "tough" or don't love the game.

Anyway, the only reason I feel bad for the fans is if it turns out the Colts and Luck waited to announce this until after they had all renewed their season tickets. That would be total BS.

You just admitted to listening to his show.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They won't have access to top-of-the-line QB talent in the draft if the bottom doesn't fall out. Going 8-8 in the NFL can put you in a situation somewhat vaguely similar to the middle-of-the-road teams in the NBA -- not good enough to compete for a championship, but too good to accrue enough draft capital and lacking in the cap space to meaningfully improve their team. I know this circumstance is not as pronounced in the NFL as in the NBA, but the logic of you should either be competing for championships or tanking is there for football, too.

The Colts with Luck are Super Bowl contenders. Without him, they are probably average, good enough to win a weak division, but that is probably the end of the line.

I agree. I think that as of this morning their ceiling is 9-7 and the floor is something like 5-11. I haven't seen if Vegas has adjusted their o/u win total yet.

There's not much they can do now except hope for the best with Brissett and see if he ends up being a legitimate long term option. If he doesn't pan out then I think we'll see Chad Kelly start a game or two just to see what they have there. As far as drafting a QB they'll be looking hard at next year's group. And while I'm sure there are stats that prove that a QB drafted in the first round is more likely to succeed than a QB drafted in the mid-to-late rounds, franchise guys can be found outside of the first few picks. Little known fact: Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round!

As far as Luck goes, shame on anyone who criticized him or had some ****** take on twitter(looking at you, Gottlieb). Nobody but Luck could possibly know how he felt, and if it had all become a grind and he wasn't having fun anymore then it was time to move on. I give him credit for listening to his body and understanding that the right long term move was to walk away. He was never the most consistent player but when he was on he was as good as anyone else in the league and better than most. He's under contract through 2021 and if he changes his mind down the road I'll welcome him back but I think he's done for good.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Like usual people aren’t mad that he is retiring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The problem is how it went down. The problem is that he is doing it 3/4 of the way through the preseason without some real injury that changes things. Even then it would have been a lot better if this didn’t come out during the middle of their game.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Irsay had a GM that didn’t have a clue and it almost got Luck killed and definitely cut his career short. Grigson was an idiot.

It's still on Irsay for sticking with Grigson and Pagano for several years longer than he should have. They were his hires and ultimately his responsibility. He blew it, and I have a nagging suspicion that he was the one who leaked the story to Schefter so that it broke while Luck was on the sidelines last night. I sincerely hope that isn't true because Luck deserved better than getting booed off the field, but only a handful of people could have known that he had just called it quits and it sure as hell wasn't coming from his camp.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Like usual people aren’t mad that he is retiring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The problem is how it went down. The problem is that he is doing it 3/4 of the way through the preseason without some real injury that changes things. Even then it would have been a lot better if this didn’t come out during the middle of their game.

He's been dealing with "real injuries" since 2015 - lacerated kidney, abdominal tear, torn shoulder labrum, concussion(s), the general wear and tear of the position...this leg injury that had kept him out since spring just wasn't healing, and it ended up being the final straw. I would rather have him walk away now than to try and limp through the season without being fully committed. Makes me think of Favre's final season in Minny when they had to beg him to come back and then he sucked because it was obvious that he really didn't want to be there.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree. I think that as of this morning their ceiling is 9-7 and the floor is something like 5-11. I haven't seen if Vegas has adjusted their o/u win total yet.

There's not much they can do now except hope for the best with Brissett and see if he ends up being a legitimate long term option. If he doesn't pan out then I think we'll see Chad Kelly start a game or two just to see what they have there. As far as drafting a QB they'll be looking hard at next year's group. And while I'm sure there are stats that prove that a QB drafted in the first round is more likely to succeed than a QB drafted in the mid-to-late rounds, franchise guys can be found outside of the first few picks. Little known fact: Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round!

As far as Luck goes, shame on anyone who criticized him or had some ****** take on twitter(looking at you, Gottlieb). Nobody but Luck could possibly know how he felt, and if it had all become a grind and he wasn't having fun anymore then it was time to move on. I give him credit for listening to his body and understanding that the right long term move was to walk away. He was never the most consistent player but when he was on he was as good as anyone else in the league and better than most. He's under contract through 2021 and if he changes his mind down the road I'll welcome him back but I think he's done for good.

I would be a little more aggressive than you. I would be in "win now" mode. Going 9-7 and losing in the first-round when you had Super Bowl ambitions is rather lame.

That is especially the case when 9-7 is expensive, locking you up cap-wise, and gives you no great path towards acquiring a blue-chip QB prospect to replace Luck long-term.

I would call around the league to see if any of the higher-level backups (or starters on teams trying to tank/that have good young options behind them) are available for something like a second-round pick. That is at least worth the phone call to try for it.

Teddy Bridgewater has been really good for New Orleans in the preseason. They obviously have Brees to start, and Taysom Hill has looked good, too. Try for Teddy?

I would try Eli, too -- the Giants are going to move on from him soon enough as it is, and he might have enough gas in the tank to manage you through one more season.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You just admitted to listening to his show.

And your point is? Yes, when I'm getting ready for work in the morning I have it on. Big deal.

I don't mind the show at all. I don't even mind Golic for the most part, but on this subject he's dead wrong IMO, that's all. It's not honorable to keep playing football until you can't walk, talk, or think anymore.... it's dumb.

I commend Luck for getting out while he can. It's not being a p***y, it's smart.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would be a little more aggressive than you. I would be in "win now" mode. Going 9-7 and losing in the first-round when you had Super Bowl ambitions is rather lame.

That is especially the case when 9-7 is expensive, locking you up cap-wise, and gives you no great path towards acquiring a blue-chip QB prospect to replace Luck long-term.

I would call around the league to see if any of the higher-level backups (or starters on teams trying to tank/that have good young options behind them) are available for something like a second-round pick. That is at least worth the phone call to try for it.

Teddy Bridgewater has been really good for New Orleans in the preseason. They obviously have Brees to start, and Taysom Hill has looked good, too. Try for Teddy?

I would try Eli, too -- the Giants are going to move on from him soon enough as it is, and he might have enough gas in the tank to manage you through one more season.

Eli is cooked and has been for a while. He's well-done. I don't know that Bridgewater is an upgrade over Brissett. Look around the league - it's two weeks until the season starts. Who are you going to find that's a clear upgrade over Brissett and how are you going to get them up to speed? They'd be playing catch-up well into October. No, you don't risk draft capital unless you can get a guy that you're confident is better than what you have on the roster now. I don't see that scenario unfolding. Roll with Brissett, see what you have, and re-assess at the end of the season. Not ideal but it's the smart long term play.