Coach Messingham, I've seen both pluses and minuses ...

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I had completely forgotten that KState hired Mess. What a hilarious reminder to end the day on.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I thought he ran way too much zone read. It was his bread and butter play. Rhoads forced the spread on Herman/Mess because he found it hard to defend as a DC. Herman was a lot better at it, although he sometimes got way too cute throwing the ball and out-thinking himself. I would guess that Mess does a lot better with a pro set...his thought seemed to be in a one back spread, you needed the QB run to keep teams honest. Well, the very first game, UNI keyed on the RB and let the QB get his 5 yards and then put a hit on him. By the end of the game, the QB was limping around. 100% outcoached by Farley at UNI. Mess was consistently plagued by injured QBs and rotating new QBs in because he ran them too much.

Nice guy, good position coach, bad OC. Maybe with a more traditional offense and less decisions to make, he'll do better...he did at NDSU.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I thought he ran way too much zone read. It was his bread and butter play. Rhoads forced the spread on Herman/Mess because he found it hard to defend as a DC. Herman was a lot better at it, although he sometimes got way too cute throwing the ball and out-thinking himself. I would guess that Mess does a lot better with a pro set...his thought seemed to be in a one back spread, you needed the QB run to keep teams honest. Well, the very first game, UNI keyed on the RB and let the QB get his 5 yards and then put a hit on him. By the end of the game, the QB was limping around. 100% outcoached by Farley at UNI. Mess was consistently plagued by injured QBs and rotating new QBs in because he ran them too much.

Nice guy, good position coach, bad OC. Maybe with a more traditional offense and less decisions to make, he'll do better...he did at NDSU.
Don't forget he'd also throw his injured QBs under the bus in interviews.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Robert McFarland. He had some pretty decent offenses. It was the defense (Wayne Bolt) that was trash under Chizik. We usually scored some points and kept pace for a bit in those days.
I will always appreciate Robert McFarland. When Chizik left for Auburn, he continued to recruit to ISU and even got a couple kids to commit knowing that he was gone also and with no head coach at the time. He was 100% loyal to ISU and his job.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
There's a lot of blaming Rhoads, but there was a massive drop off from Tom Herman to Mess, and I assume Rhoads micromanaged both. Mess is a below average OC at best. I don't know that he's the worst we've ever had (Steve Brickey), but he's not good. At all.
Honestly I don’t agree. Our offense sucked during Herman years just as bad. Actually Messinghams 2013 offense scored more for the season total than any of Herman’s offenses. We really fell in 2013 because our defense turned into hot garbage under Wally Burnham.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Those offenses were rough, but he followed Tom Herman, and we had lost some really good OL IIRC, so that's a tough situation to follow. Probably got a bit of a raw deal from us fans at the time. Seemed to be good at coaching TEs and special teams.
ISUs offense sucked balls with Herman. ISU scored less per game in conference under Herman than it did under Mess, Mangino, and Mangino (fired)/Sturdy(interim).

Not sold on Herman as some offensive wizard. He was great at Rice. He was bad at ISU. Urban Meyer has had a ridiculous offense every year, every place, with every OC. Herman's had an inconsistent offense at Texas despite having superior talent week in week out.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
See post #56.

Also:

Pop Warner won national championships as head coach at Pitt in 1915, 1916 and 1918 and at Stanford in 1926.

By the way, you said previous coaching staffs.

Well yeah, but other than that lengthy and illustrious list, we have no national championship coaches on any previous staff.

You guys are dicks. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
@surly it doesn't matter what we think of Mess, the Wizard is gone, K-State is going to sink faster than the Titanic. ;)

That very well could be the case. However, Klieman has been a huge early success down here winning over fans, hiring assistants, recruiting, social media, the press, and filling in holes left by the departure of almost every playmaker: Barnes, Rison, Zuber, Risner, etc. The first game is sold-out and that's against Nicholls State. So, EMAWs are pumped for this transition. But yes, we were for Prince as well.

Looking back, most of us felt it was time for coach Snyder to hang it up. Last year got ugly: quarterback controversy, Sean Snyder, bottom half finish, fold at ISU, no bowl. We'll soon see if that fan feeling then about his retirement was wise or dumb. At this point though, Klieman has done everything the right way and seems a perfect fit, unlike Prince.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Everyone should feel sorry for Courtney Messingham. He has inherited an offense that is in worse shape than the one he left at Iowa State. His fullbacks and running backs available for this season have 0 carries, 0 receptions, and 0 returns in Big 12 play. It does not get any worse than that!

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: VeloClone and surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Everyone should feel sorry for Courtney Messingham. He has inherited an offense that is in worse shape than the one he left at Iowa State. His fullbacks and running backs available for this season have 0 carries, 0 receptions, and 0 returns in Big 12 play. It does not get any worse than that!
Yeah, 9th seems a logical preseason place for this K-State team.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Also,

Jimmy Johnson won a National Championship as a player at Arkansas and later won a Championship as head coach at Miami.

Johnny Majors won a national championship as an assistant at Arkansas and as head coach at Pitt.

I believe Mack Brown and Pete Carroll were both on the staff at ISU early in their careers and went on to win NC somewhere else.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I believe Mack Brown and Pete Carroll were bot on the staff at ISU early in their careers and went on to win NC somewhere else.
I didn't even look at everyone. However they have to have 2 Natties to not be exceeded by Mess's two back to back NC at NDSU. I think Carroll qualifies but doesn't Brown only have one NC?

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I was searching old articles and found this pair to be funny:

"Messingham Move (hire) was a 'No-Brainer' for Rhoads"
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2012/01/messingham-move-was-a-no-brainer-for-rhoads/

"Rhoads Relieves Messingham, Pope of Duties"
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2013/12/rhoads-relieves-messingham-pope-of-duties/

I feel like CPR was the only person that thought Messingham was a good hire. I just remember the discussion I had with my fellow cyclone fans and how pissed off we were that Iowa State settled on the easy hire.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Mess calling plays at NDSU doesn't mean he's ready for P5 football again. He was at the "Alabama" of FCS and had an advantage at every single position on both sides of the ball. Honestly, same can probably be said for Klieman. How many head coaches make the jump from FCS to to a P5 head coaching position? I have a hard time not seeing K-State falling off big time.