SUMMER SERIES: The game that changed it all

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Big fan of these summer series podcasts, they've all been great.

Should CF have a separate podcast forum? Its hard to find where there's "discussion" about podcasts.

The title IX ladies were great too!

Reactions: EvilBetty

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
That podcast brought back some incredible memories.

I vividly remember driving a van full of relatives down to Norman to go to that game. When it was announced on the radio that Parks was not going to play, I literally tried to turn the van around and go back home, but my relatives wouldn't let me.

I spent that Friday night and Saturday morning on the OU campus and so many OU fans were condescending and treated me with sympathy for the butt kicking they knew we were about to experience.

And I remember screaming like a freaking loon in a silent stadium of 80,000 fans after we batted down OU's desperation 4th down pass to ice the game.

And I remember standing outside the locker and posing for pictures with players who were so excited, they had no desire to get on the team bus.

Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I'll ever experience that kind of elation again. Thank goodness my relatives didn't allow me turn the van around.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

I vividly remember driving a van full of relatives down to Norman to go to that game. When it was announced on the radio that Parks was not going to play, I literally tried to turn the van around and go back home, but my relatives wouldn't let me.

I spent that Friday night and Saturday morning on the OU campus and so many OU fans were condescending and treated me with sympathy for the butt kicking they knew we were about to experience.

And I remember screaming like a freaking loon in a silent stadium of 80,000 fans after we batted down OU's desperation 4th down pass to ice the game.

And I remember standing outside the locker and posing for pictures with players who were so excited, they had no desire to get on the team bus.

Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I'll ever experience that kind of elation again. Thank goodness my relatives didn't allow me turn the van around.

I hate you for experiencing this when I did not.

;)

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
That Texas game was a strange one for sure. The crowd was absolutely dead, the product of a ****** Thursday night slot. The defense was electric that game, and the offense short circuiting. I still have no clue if Manning was calling all those dumb, deep pass plays or if Park was constantly checking to them.

Oh and it was the debut/death of the bugle cyclone helmet.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
That Texas game was a strange one for sure. The crowd was absolutely dead, the product of a ****** Thursday night slot. The defense was electric that game, and the offense short circuiting. I still have no clue if Manning was calling all those dumb, deep pass plays or if Park was constantly checking to them.

Oh and it was the debut/death of the bugle cyclone helmet.

I had a bad feeling the second I realized Park looked like a jackass

• Agree
Reactions: Lexclone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My favorite parts of the podcast are Brent's enjoyment of memories brought back by Chris. Blum is Mr. Memory when it comes to the actual game, but C-Dubs is great at providing the context. There were so many dimensions and facets to that game. I started listening with major suspicion about whether that game was truly that important, but they convinced me.

• Agree

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Big fan of these summer series podcasts, they've all been great.

Should CF have a separate podcast forum? Its hard to find where there's "discussion" about podcasts.

The title IX ladies were great too!

Agree with this. These podcasts get burried too quickly. Hard to find after the fact. Maybe just a drop down menue which lists all podcasts in chronological order?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I had a bad feeling the second I realized Park looked like a jackass

7679663.jpeg

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I was at the game so I didn’t know this, but people watching on tv noted that Park found the espn camera several times during that game.

Having your starting QB doing that during a tight game was a huge red flag

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Agree with those that say there was a weird vibe in the stadium that night. It was a beautiful evening, but it was not a packed house. The crowd never really got a chance to get revved up. Not sure it's just this one game that changed everything, but this game and that Akron game showed the strength of this staff. First, they have a standard that they have set and if they aren't getting the results they want they're willing to make bold changes (completely overhaul the offense and defense in consecutive weeks) and put trust in people (like Kempt, Lanning and many others that year) to deliver in crucial situations. To that you have to a) actually have a plan and b) have the skill and leadership to bring out the best out of people. Can't wait to get another shot at Herman and Texas this year. I hope they're a top 5 team when they come into the Jack and we crush their dreams.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
We were losing by 10 in the Texas game, but it felt like 20 or more the way the offense looked. I remember being so frustrated that Montgomery was not getting many carries.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019

I was also at that game and I completely agree about the fans. Every where we would walk we would get hand shakes and the would ironically say "Take It Easy On Us". After the game they wouldn't even look in our direction.

I also stayed at Sooners Legends, and the bar that night had Karaoke. It would have been icing on the cake if they let me sing the fight song, but they refused. They said it was for my safety.

• Funny

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would still like a podcast about the K-State debacle in 2015.

If Rhoads wins that game, I thought the plan was to bring him back. I thought that catastrophe was the straw -- or rather the boulder -- that broke the camel's back on his tenure.

Rhoads might hold on another year or two, but at best I think he gives you a "scrapped to 6-6" type of team. In all likelihood, he ends up fired, and we have to find a replacement.

I doubt Campbell is available by then. He is probably coaching Minnesota, Missouri, or one of the other lower-tier P5 schools in the Midwest or even in the South.

The silver lining of Matt Campbell on the dark cloud of the 2015 game in Manhattan would be an interesting story to hear from CW and Blum's perspective. I actually turned that game off and left for the airport, having a flight to catch, when it was all going down. I got the prompt that we lost in REGULATION somewhere around the Rosslyn metro stop.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would still like a podcast about the K-State debacle in 2015.

If Rhoads wins that game, I thought the plan was to bring him back. I thought that catastrophe was the straw -- or rather the boulder -- that broke the camel's back on his tenure.

Rhoads might hold on another year or two, but at best I think he gives you a "scrapped to 6-6" type of team. In all likelihood, he ends up fired, and we have to find a replacement.

I doubt Campbell is available by then. He is probably coaching Minnesota, Missouri, or one of the other lower-tier P5 schools in the Midwest or even in the South.

The silver lining of Matt Campbell on the dark cloud of the 2015 game in Manhattan would be an interesting story to hear from CW and Blum's perspective. I actually turned that game off and left for the airport, having a flight to catch, when it was all going down. I got the prompt that we lost in REGULATION somewhere around the Rosslyn metro stop.
My brother and I were talking about this right after the season. We both thought Rhoads was gone anyway, this game just prompted Jamie to pull the plug early - before the season was over - which may have resulted in landing Campbell before any other suitors could come to the table. My brother thought that Jamie planned to pull the plug as soon as ISU was eliminated from bowl consideration long before the KState game ever happened.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My brother and I were talking about this right after the season. We both thought Rhoads was gone anyway, this game just prompted Jamie to pull the plug early - before the season was over - which may have resulted in landing Campbell before any other suitors could come to the table. My brother thought that Jamie planned to pull the plug as soon as ISU was eliminated from bowl consideration long before the KState game ever happened.

That is another wrinkle to it -- how much did that extra week matter?

Firing Rhoads before the end of the season when he gave #5 Oklahoma State a run for their money and finally got the Kansas State monkey off his back before giving him a chance against West Virginia might have looked bad. Even if winning at KSU does not buy him another season, I doubt you can fire him after a win, which changes the whole timeline.

Maybe Rhoads was already a dead man by that point -- maybe the line in the sand was 6-6 and a bowl game or his job. Even then, you cannot fire the guy after a W, so...

Without that week, Campbell might have more suitors, and we might not have him.

The intrigue is there either way.