S1/Handicap parking

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Quicker every year. I would think if you are there by 8a (for an 11a kick), you should be ok.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Does anyone know if or how quickly this lot fills up?

I parked there all last season for a family member. I would be there by 7:00 especially for the UNI game because it will fill up fast. You will be surprised with the amount of tailgating that goes on in there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I parked there all last season for a family member. I would be there by 7:00 especially for the UNI game because it will fill up fast. You will be surprised with the amount of tailgating that goes on in there.

It wouldn't surprise me if the lot is not used primarily by the people who need it the most. I could see some Tavern-type Clones taking advantage of a family member with a Handicapped permit. Anybody know how much that actually happens?

Edited to give my definition of a Tavern Clone as someone who takes a vehicle with a handicapped permit without the person who needs it being there. If someone in the vehicle deserves it, then it is using the lot for its purpose. Did I really need to explain this?

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if the lot is not used primarily by the people who need it the most. I could see some Tavern-type Clones taking advantage of a family member with a Handicapped permit. Anybody know how much that actually happens?
It really doesn't. There's a lot of people who carry their stuff into the lot and tailgate with a friend or relative that has a handicap tag. Or the person that parks in the lot loads their vehicle with everything and the everyone else walks in much like what you see in the north lots. What it really boils down to is that their is simply more demand than there is supply. What irritates people that get turned away is that the next lot over will have tons of open spots but those are reserved for people in suites etc...

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

How so? If the the person with the handicap permit uses it for a parking spot ... who cares who shows up to tailgate at that spot? Seems like every other spot north of the stadium ... park and tailgate.

• Agree

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How so? If the the person with the handicap permit uses it for a parking spot ... who cares who shows up to tailgate at that spot? Seems like every other spot north of the stadium ... park and tailgate.

A Tavern Clone would be someone who uses the vehicle with the permit without the handicapped person being there.

"Who cares?" The person who legitimately deserves the spot if it was taken by a Tavern Clone.

I'm sure that legitimate demand exceeds supply and wondered if there was a problem with the lot being misused. BillB says no. Glad to hear it.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
So, having a family member that is handicapped means I'm a 'Tavern-type Cyclone' for taking her to the game and tailgating with her?

Reactions: keepngoal

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So, having a family member that is handicapped means I'm a 'Tavern-type Cyclone' for taking her to the game and tailgating with her?

No, of course not. I edited my post above to make clear my definition of a Tavern Clone as someone who would use the vehicle with a permit without the person who needs it being there. Hence, the phrase, "taking advantage." I thought the allusion to a Tavern Hok would indicate that I wasn't talking about anything even remotely legitimate.

• Informative

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
So, for the small percentage of people that 'take advantage' of this we should inconvenience the people that actually require use of an ADA spot?

I know its hard to believe but there are lots of people who need those spots that don't have any outward signs of a disability.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
So, for the small percentage of people that 'take advantage' of this we should inconvenience the people that actually require use of an ADA spot?

I know its hard to believe but there are lots of people who need those spots that don't have any outward signs of a disability.

The flip side of this would be that requiring IDs would help the maximum number of people with disabilities get spots next to the stadium. You're right that it's not a huge percentage, but it's also no something that doesn't happen.

My dad has a handicap pass and we probably won't even try to get in that lot most of the time. We have a donor pass in the Hilton lots and will make that work.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

This Why should I have to slow down my entry process and show ID just because some folks abuse it. I don't see it as a big problem at JTS/Hilton right now

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The flip side of this would be that requiring IDs would help the maximum number of people with disabilities get spots next to the stadium. You're right that it's not a huge percentage, but it's also no something that doesn't happen.

My dad has a handicap pass and we probably won't even try to get in that lot most of the time. We have a donor pass in the Hilton lots and will make that work.

Iowa State has more parking they could allocate towards the ADA lot but they don't... S2 is NEVER even close to full and there is no reason they can't use that for some overflow.

• Agree

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
A couple of things, my daughter has CP, and we take her to tailgate with us at the games. We started parking in the handicapped lot about 5 years ago, before that we parked on the grass lots by Hilton.
The new lot is S1, if you get there by 9:00 to 9:30, you will be fine. But if you have a handicap sticker, even if the lot is full, by state and federal law they have to provide parking for you. Last year the overflow for handicapped they sent to S1, a couple of times and once to S4 or S5. That happened to us once.
They also can ask you to verify that your sticker and drivers license is the same, but rarely do A couple of years ago that gal said "where is your sticker?" and I told her "we do not have a sticker, we have the license plate on the front and back of the van." She then wanted to see my daughters licenses to verify that she was indeed handicapped. I told her with a little anger in my voice, that my daughter is right behind me in her wheelchair, that I am her father, and if you do not allow us to park here, in the handicapped lot, I will not be moving without speaking to your supervisor. I then rolled down the van window and told her to look at my daughter in her wheelchair.
She gave us the pass and we went into park, since then they have really been nice when we roll up.

After 40 years, I can be a prick about people messing with me parking with my daughter in the van. Its state and federal law, they have to park you close to the stadium, if the lot is full , they have to find parking for you in the high dollar lots.
Go, take the handicapped person and enjoy your day and the game.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
A couple of things, my daughter has CP, and we take her to tailgate with us at the games. We started parking in the handicapped lot about 5 years ago, before that we parked on the grass lots by Hilton.
The new lot is S1, if you get there by 9:00 to 9:30, you will be fine. But if you have a handicap sticker, even if the lot is full, by state and federal law they have to provide parking for you. Last year the overflow for handicapped they sent to S1, a couple of times and once to S4 or S5. That happened to us once.
They also can ask you to verify that your sticker and drivers license is the same, but rarely do A couple of years ago that gal said "where is your sticker?" and I told her "we do not have a sticker, we have the license plate on the front and back of the van." She then wanted to see my daughters licenses to verify that she was indeed handicapped. I told her with a little anger in my voice, that my daughter is right behind me in her wheelchair, that I am her father, and if you do not allow us to park here, in the handicapped lot, I will not be moving without speaking to your supervisor. I then rolled down the van window and told her to look at my daughter in her wheelchair.
She gave us the pass and we went into park, since then they have really been nice when we roll up.

After 40 years, I can be a prick about people messing with me parking with my daughter in the van. Its state and federal law, they have to park you close to the stadium, if the lot is full , they have to find parking for you in the high dollar lots.
Go, take the handicapped person and enjoy your day and the game.
What's the best way to get into the S1 lot when it's busy? From the South on University? Or the North? Or can you get in on the West side somehow?